This easy oatmeal cookie ice cream sandwich recipe is made with soft and chewy homemade oatmeal cookies and creamy vanilla ice cream. A delicious dessert recipe that is great anytime of the year, especially in the summer and fall.
The Best Ice Cream Sandwich Cookie Recipe
We’ve all had ice cream sandwiches before. It’s one of the classic ice cream desserts out there. From childhood on to adulthood, these ice cream treats are beloved all over the country. Most likely, you’ve had them with the classic chocolate wafers and maybe even gotten the ones that use chocolate chip cookies at the store. But have you ever had oatmeal ice cream sandwiches? You probably haven’t. You can’t find them in a grocery store, and that’s where almost everyone gets their ice cream sandwiches. Today, I’m going to show you the best homemade ice cream sandwich that uses oatmeal cookies. After one bite, you’ll be hooked!
Old Fashioned Iced Oatmeal Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich
I’ve made lots of different ice cream desserts and cookies over the years, but I have to say this oatmeal cookie ice cream sandwich, with homemade old fashioned iced oatmeal cookies, was a real stroke of genius. Oatmeal cookies are such a classic, delicious treat, and kicked them up with the addition of cinnamon and nutmeg to really give them a boost of flavor. Then, I stuffed a healthy amount of vanilla ice cream in between two of the cookies to create one of the tastiest and most unique ice cream sandwiches I’ve ever had.
These ice cream sandwiches are very easy to make, but there are a few things to remember that will help you make the absolute best treats you possibly can. These are simple tips, but they can make a big difference so don’t skip over this section.
- When chopping your oats, don’t overdo it. You want various textures, not powder.
- Save time and simply use quick oats. They’re pre-chopped!
- Use room-temperature eggs in the dough. They incorporate more easily and help the cookies bake to perfection.
- Be sure your butter is fully softened so that it creams well with the sugar, and you don’t get a lumpy mixture.
This recipe is absolutely delicious just as it is, but there are lots of ways that you can mix it up to keep things interesting. These changes are all very simple, but they can drastically change the flavor of these ice cream sandwiches, which means you can make a different recipe every time if you want!
- Add chocolate chips to the cookies
- Add raisins to the cookies
- Use various ice cream flavors like chocolate, coconut, and caramel. Any flavor works!
- Make your own homemade ice cream!
I accidentally made my oatmeal too powdery. What do I do?
Measure out the appropriate oatmeal and start again. Unfortunately, there’s no way to save them.
How long are these good?
You can store these in the freezer for up to three months if wrapped tightly and stored correctly.
Why won’t my icing stick to my cookies?
You probably didn’t let your cookies cool completely. Warm cookies will cause the icing to simply melt when it touches the cookie.
This is such a versatile recipe using your favorite cookies and your favorite ice cream flavor. Here are just a few examples of the possibilities.
Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sammie – Whip up a batch of soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies and use your favorite flavor ice cream.
Lemon Cookie Sammies – If you are a lover of lemon, make some scrumptious lemon cookies and add lemon ice cream or vanilla for a delicious treat.
Peanut Butter Cookies – And here’s a favorite, homemade peanut butter cookies with chocolate ice cream or Reese® ice cream, then dipped in melted chocolate for an over-the-top delicious dessert.
Here’s a fun fact about ice cream sandwiches
The eastern part of the country consumes almost 50% of ice cream sandwiches in America.
30-44 year-olds buy the most ice cream sandwiches (https://www.craftymomsshare.com/2018/08/fun-facts-about-ice-cream-sandwiches.html#:~:text=almost%2050%25%20of)
Ingredients to Make Oatmeal Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
There are several ingredients for these oatmeal cookie ice cream sandwiches because you’ll be making both the cookies and the icing that goes on top of them. However, you’ll see in the list to follow that all of these ingredients are kitchen staples. You might not even have to go shopping! Here’s what you’ll need.
- Rolled oats
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Butter, room temperature
- Brown sugar
- Eggs, room temperature
- Heavy whipping cream
- Maple Syrup
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla ice cream
How to Make Oatmeal Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Preheat the Oven – Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheet(s) with parchment paper. Set aside. Place another baking sheet in the freezer to chill, which will be used when cutting the ice cream.
Making the Cookies – Add rolled oats to a food chopper of food processer and pulse until oats have various textures, not powder. Using a medium bowl, whisk oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. In a large bowl, beat butter using a hand mixer until creamy. Add brown sugar, sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat one egg at a time into sugar mixture then add vanilla and mix until combined. Add ½ of the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and beat on low until incorporated. Now add remaining flour mixture and beat until fully incorporated.
Baking the Cookies – Roll a heaping tablespoon of dough into a ball and place on prepared baking sheet(s) two inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges start to brown. Remove from oven and let cool for 4-5 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Make the Icing – In a medium bowl, stir powder sugar, heavy cream and maple syrup. Whisk until combined. Dip the tops of the cookie into the icing and place back onto wire rack to allow icing to set.
Cutting the Ice Cream – Cut the sides off the carton of ice cream and slice ice cream into 1/2 inch slabs. Place slabs on frozen baking sheet and using a circular biscuit/cookie cutter, about the size of the cookies, cut the ice cream into circular pieces.
Assembling the Ice Cream Sandwiches – Place each ice cream disk between two cookies then place on prepared baking sheets. Place in the freezer until set. Once set, wrap each ice cream sandwich in plastic wrap. Freeze until ready to serve.
The Happy Ending – When ready to serve, unwrap and enjoy this easy oatmeal cookie ice cream sandwich recipe.
Try This Easy Oatmeal Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe Today
This oatmeal cookie ice cream sandwich recipe is easy to make, and it’s absolutely delicious. Loaded with the delicious flavors of fall and absolutely stuffed with ice cream in the center, this is a recipe that always satisfies. Give it a try, and I know you’ll find yourself making it again and again.
Looking for More Cookie Recipes?
- Apple Walnut Oatmeal Cookies
- Cranberry Pecan Oatmeal Cookies
- Soft Molasses Cookies with Molasses Frosting
- White Chocolate Cranberry Pecan Cookies
- Frosted Lemon Sugar Cookies
- Hockey Puck Chocolate Chip Cookies
- And how about some soft, chewy Sugar Cookies from Deliciously Seasoned
Oatmeal Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich
For The Oatmeal Cookies
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
For The Maple Icing
- 1½-2 tablespoon heavy whipping cream or milk
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- (2) ½ gallons vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350° and prepare baking sheet(s) by lining with parchment paper.
For The Cookies
- Add rolled oats to a chopper or food processer and pulse until oats are various textures, not powder.
- In a large mixing bowl, add oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, beat butter using a hand mixer. Add brown sugar and granulated sugar and beat until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs into sugar mixture, beating between each addition. Add vanilla and mix well.
- Add ½ of the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and beat on low until incorporated. Now add remaining flour mixture and beat until fully incorporated.
- Using a heaping tablespoon, roll the dough into balls and place on prepared baking sheet(s) two inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer cookies to a wire rack. Allow cookies to cool completely.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine powdered sugar, cream, and maple syrup. Whisk until sugar is dissolved and ingredients are well combined.
- Dip tops of cooled cookies into icing and place back onto wire rack to allow icing to set.
Assembling the Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Cut the sides off of the carton of ice cream and slice the ice cream into ½ inch chunks.
- Using a circular biscuit/cookie cutter about the size of the cookies, cut ice cream and place each piece between two cookies.
- Place on a baking sheet and put in the freezer.
- Once set, wrap each ice cream sandwich in plastic wrap.
- When ready to serve, unwrap and enjoy.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest dessert boards.
Copyright © Great Grub, Delicious Treats. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission.
If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words and only list ingredients making sure to link back to this post for the original recipe and directions.