This lemon pastry is a delicious lemon dessert recipe made with puff pastry, filled with a sweet and tangy lemon cream cheese mixture and lemon pie filling, baked until golden, and drizzled with lemon glaze. Super easy, super delicious.
If you love pastry as much as I do, you’ve come to the right place today. I absolutely adore snagging freshly baked pastries from my local bakery, but sometimes I enjoy making them at home. Actually, I prefer making them at home. It doesn’t get much fresher than piping hot out of the oven, and I can control every aspect of what goes into them. These pastries are a delicious sweet treat perfect for afternoon snacks, a sweet breakfast, dessert, or sweet addition to any potluck. They’re so sweet and easy, you can make them any time you like!
I’ve made these delicious pastries so many times over the years. When my kids were in school, I was known as the pastry house because they were always on hand for snacking. Hey, you have to have tasty snacks when you have hungry kids, and they bring home hungry friends. I also love that these pastries look fancy enough to bring to any gathering. They’re just always the perfect choice.
This delicious lemon pastry starts with puff pastry sheets. Then, we add sweet and tangy cream cheese and lemon filling along with another dollop of lemon filling on top of that. After that, it’s baked to flaky, golden perfection. It’s the perfect sweet treat that everyone loves, including you because you’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time.
Why You’ll Love This Lemon Pastry Recipe
- They’re so easy to make, requiring only a few simple ingredients easily found at the grocery store.
- They feature rich, creamy sweet cream cheese filling and lemon pie filling.
- They’re a favorite lemon pastry the entire family will enjoy.
Lemon Pastry Tips and Variations
This is an extremely easy recipe to make, even though it looks a bit fancy. However, even easy recipes have their little secrets, and I’m sharing those. I also have some great variations that I think you’re going to love.
- Be sure your cream cheese is fully softened so it blends perfectly. Otherwise, you can end up with chunks of cream cheese in your mixture.
- Understand that golden brown is more gold than brown. So many people overcook their food because they think golden brown is darker than it really is.
- Always let your pastries cool before adding the glaze. Otherwise, it will just slide right off of them.
- Omit the lemon juice from the cream cheese mixture and use your favorite pie filling to change the flavor of these pastries.
- Omit the lemon juice from the glaze to make a simple vanilla glaze when you use various pie fillings.
What to Serve with Lemon Pastry
This delicious dessert is perfect with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee. You can also add it to a platter of sweets like other pastries and cookies for a sweet snacking board for parties or guests.
Lemon Pastry FAQ
If you have questions about this lemon pastry with sweet cream cheese filling, then read on. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about lemon pastries.
How do puff pastries get so airy?
The water in the layers of pastry dough, along with the water in the butter, turns to steam while the puff pastries bake. That steam creates just a little force which puffs up the pastry before the water evaporates in the oven.
How long does puff pastry take to bake?
That depends on how much and what kind of filling is involved. The more outside ingredients, the longer it will take. In general, it they’ll bake up in anywhere from 15 to 25 minutes, depending on the recipe.
Can you bake lemon curd in puff pastry?
Absolutely. There are many lemon curd pastry recipes out there.
Can you freeze lemon pastries?
Absolutely. Wrap each pastry individually in a double layer of cling wrap, then place them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Can you freeze cream cheese pastries?
Yes, you can. Freeze them exactly as mentioned above, but be sure to use them within a month. After that, the texture of the cream cheese will begin to change.
How long will cream cheese lemon pastries last in the fridge?
They’ll last for up to 7 days in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
Lemon Pastry Ingredients
This recipe only uses simple ingredients. You’ll find everything you need easily at your local grocery store.
For the Pastry
- Puff pastry sheets
- Lemon pie filling (only uses about ⅓ of a can)
- Cream cheese, room temperature
- Egg yolk
- Lemon juice
- Vanilla extract
- Large egg
For the Glaze
- Powdered sugar
- Lemon juice
- Vanilla extract
How to Make This Lemon Pastry Recipe
This is a simple recipe that anyone can make. There are a few steps involved, but they’re all very easy. Even beginners can make it.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and link a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set it aside.
Step 2: Make the Pastry Sheet Base
Cut each pastry sheet into eight strips. Then, take two strips and pinch the ends together to create one long strip. Twist the long strip into a sort of braid. Next, press one end of a twisted strip down onto the prepared baking sheet, and wrap the twisted dough around to make a circle. Pinch the end of the strip firmly onto the circle-shaped dough to secure. Finally, poke the center four to five times with a fork.
Step 3: Make the Cream Cheese Filling
Beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy in a medium bowl. Then, add the egg yolk, sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice and beat for 2 more minutes.
Step 4: Construct the Pastries
Add a spoonful of the cream cheese mixture to the center of each pastry, then top it with a spoonful of lemon pie filling. Next, whisk egg and water together in a bowl and brush the egg wash over the pastry crust.
Step 5: Bake
Bake the pastries for 23 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool.
Step 6: Make the Glaze
While the pastries are baking, mix the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla together. When the pastries have cooled, drizzle them with the glaze. Serve and enjoy!
Try This Delicious Lemon Pastry with Cream Cheese Today
This lemon pastry with sweet cream cheese filling has everything we love about the pastries we so often pick up at the local bakery. The puff pastry is light, flaky, and golden brown and topped with a sweet and tangy cream cheese lemon filling and lemon pie filling. This sweet treat is so good and so easy to make. With a combination like that, why wouldn’t you want to try it? Make it just once, and I promise you’ll find yourself whipping it up again and again.
More Delicious Lemon Dessert Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Cream Cheese Lemonade Pie – This delicious, creamy, tart, lemonade pie takes about 10 minutes to make is using a pre-made crust. It’s one of the most popular dessert recipes on the blog. So good!
Luscious Lemon Cheesecake – This lemon cheesecake recipe is a family favorite! Creamy, tart and is topped with a homemade lemon curd. Delish!
Lemon Frosted Sugar Cookies – Soft, chewy and delicious, these lemon sugar cookies are the perfect summer cookie recipe. Absolutely scrumptious!
And, here is a Lemon Pretzel Dessert, from Deliciously Seasoned, that is absolutely delicious. Both sweet and salty in one dessert is the ultimate treat.
- 2 Puff pastry sheets
- 22 ounce can lemon pie filling, only uses about ⅓ of a can
For the Cream Cheese Filling
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ teaspoon water
For the Glaze
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg and water together until combined. Set aside.
Make The Pasty
- Cut each pastry sheet into 8 strips.
- Take two strips of puff pastry and pinch the ends together making one long strip. Twist the strips until it forms a sort of braided piece.
- Place one end of the long, twisted strip down onto the prepared baking sheet and wrap the dough around it, starting in the center and creating a pinwheel base.
- Using a fork and poke the center 4-5 times.
For the Cream Cheese Filling
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add egg yolk, sugar, vanilla, lemon juice, and beat for 2 more minutes.
- Add a spoonful of cream cheese mixture to the center of each pastry followed by a spoonful of lemon filling.
- Brush each pastry with the prepared egg wash.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool
For the Glaze Drizzle
- While the pastries are cooling, mix powdered sugar, lemon juice and vanilla together.
- Drizzle each pastry with lemon glaze when cool and enjoy.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.