This delicious, hearty, and satisfying creamy Italian sausage tortellini soup is made with flavorful sausage, tender cheese tortellini, onions, and celery, all cooked in a delicious broth. It’s the perfect meal for any occasion and one that will warm you up on a cold day.
I make soups off and on year-round, but when fall and winter come, my soup-making goes into overdrive. There’s just nothing more delicious on a cold day than a piping-hot bowl of soup. I love making all kinds from chicken noodle to chili and everything in between. One of my favorite soups to make this time of year is this creamy tortellini soup. It’s full of Italian sausage, cheese tortellini, and boasts a rich, creamy soup base that’s so satisfying. It’s an easy recipe that comes together quickly and can feed a hungry family. Even now that my kids are out on their own, I still make this for myself and my guy. We love to eat the leftovers!
Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
This delicious soup starts with hot Italian sausage that I brown to perfection and then cook alongside onions, celery, and garlic. Then, I make a rich, creamy soup base with heavy cream, chicken broth, and zesty spices. Finally, I add frozen cheese tortellini and simmer until the tortellini is nice and tender. It’s a delicious meal that’s so easy to make that it’s perfect for even the busiest weeknights.
Why You’ll Love This Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup
- The combination of Italian sausage and tortellini in a flavorful, creamy broth is simply irresistible.
- It’s an easy-to-make, budget-friendly soup recipe that can be on the table in 30 minutes or less.
- This tortellini soup is a family favorite and can be customized to your family’s liking by adding different vegetables or proteins, such as spinach, broccoli, or mushrooms, or you can use chicken, chicken sausage, or even ground beef in place of the Italian sausage.
Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup Ingredients
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this delicious soup, and you can find them all in one quick trip to your grocery store. It only takes a few minutes to get everything you need.
- Hot Italian Sausage links
- Frozen cheese tortellini pasta
- Cloves garlic
- All purpose flour
- Slap Ya Mama® seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Chicken broth or vegetable broth
- Heavy cream
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
How to Make Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
Making this soup is incredibly easy. It only takes a few minutes and a few simple steps. You’ll be in and out of the kitchen in around 30 minutes. That’s it!
Step 1: Cook the Sausage
Melt butter over medium heat and cook the hot Italian sausage on all sides in a large skillet or Dutch oven. Then, remove them and slice them to your desired thickness.
Step 2: Add the Onions, Celery, and Garlic
Add the sliced sausage to the pan along with the onions and celery and cook over medium heat until the sausage is fully cooked and the onions are tender. Then, add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Drain and return the mixture to the pan.
Step 3: Add the Flour and Seasonings
Sprinkle the flour over the sausage mixture, stir, and cook for 2 minutes. Then, add the basil, oregano, Slap Ya Mama seasoning, garlic powder, and black pepper and stir.
Step 4: Add the Cream and Broth
Add the heavy cream and chicken broth to the mixture and cook until it begins to boil.
Step 5: Cook the Tortellini
Reduce the heat and add the tortellini. Stir and simmer for 10 minutes or until the tortellini is fully cooked. Top with parmesan and enjoy!
- Frying the sausage before slicing it makes it easier and faster to cook and helps keep the juices inside the sausage.
- Add the garlic last so it doesn’t burn.
- A Dutch oven is the best option for this soup if you have one.
- For even more heat, try adding red pepper flakes.
- If you’re not a fan of heat, use mild Italian sausage.
- You can make this recipe with ground beef or turkey sausage.
- Use your favorite variety of tortellini. They’re all delicious in this soup.
What to Serve with Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
This delicious Italian soup is absolutely delicious with a variety of your favorite sides. Try pairing it with:
- Side salad
- Garlic bread
- Focaccia bread
- Bacon wrapped asparagus
- Green beans with almonds
Tortellini is traditionally served in broth. It may also be served in tomato, mushroom, or meat sauce.
In addition to cheese-filled, tortellini is also commonly filled with a mixture of ground meat, egg, and parmesan cheese.
You can add a few different ingredients to your tortellini soup for more flavor. Try:
You can store this soup in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
Tortellini soup without cream can be frozen for up to 3 months. However, creamy tortellini soups like this one can’t be frozen. The cream in the soup will break, making a grainy soup.
How to Store and Reheat Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
Refrigerate this soup in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
To reheat the soup, place it in a Dutch oven and cook over medium-low heat until heated through.
Try this Delicious Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup Today
This creamy tortellini soup recipe is rich, full of flavor, and so easy to make. It’s the trifecta of soup recipes, especially if you need something delicious and fast on a busy weeknight. With so much flavor and only about 30 minutes required in the kitchen, this is a recipe that you shouldn’t sleep on. Give it a try, and I know it will become a permanent part of your recipe rotation.
Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
- 1 pound hot Italian Sausage links
- 19 ounce bag frozen cheese tortellini
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 tsp Slap Ya Mama® seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat and cook sausage links until browned on all sides. Remove and slice into desired slices. Return to pan and add onions and celery and cook over medium heat until sausage is fully cooked and onions are tender.
- Add garlic to the pan and cook for 2 additional minutes. Drain the grease and return the sausage mixture back to the pan.
- Sprinkle flour over sausage and onions. Stir to coat, and cook for two minutes.
- Add basil, oregano, Slap Ya Mama seasoning, garlic powder, and black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Pour heavy cream and chicken broth into the sausage mixture. Stir well. Continue cooking until the broth starts to boil.
- Reduce heat and add tortellini to the pan. Stir and let simmer for 10 minutes or until tortellini is fully cooked.
- Top with parmesan cheese and serve hot. Enjoy!
Follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media. Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest.