This Italian sausage penne pasta is a classic pasta recipe that is both delicious and easy to make. It is loaded with a cheesy sausage mixture, that is seasoned perfectly, and mixed with penne pasta. This is a hearty and satisfying dish, and it is a family favorite, easy weeknight dinner recipe that has been in the family for over 40 years.
If you love easy, hearty, and delicious meals that will feed your entire family or a ton of hungry party guests, then you’ve come to the right place. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you my Italian sausage penne pasta recipe! This delicious recipe is one that I’ve been making for years. Way, way back in the day, I used to buy Hamburger Helper quite a bit. It was good, but it wasn’t great. I mean, it was good enough for a girl in college, but I was a cook. I knew I could do better. So I made my own version, and I’ve been making it for all these years. When I became a mom, this was one of my go-t0 recipes because it fed my ravenous kids and their friends the next day!
Italian Sausage Penne Pasta
This hearty, meaty, cheesy pasta dish is as easy to make as it is delicious. It starts with spicy Italian sausage, onions, and garlic which I cook to perfection. Then, I add diced tomatoes, and water and bring it all to a boil. Finally, I add cooked pasta and cheese, and I give it a good stir. That’s all there is to it! Then, it’s just a matter of enjoying all that flavor. It only takes two pots, and it’s all ready in just a few minutes. Delicious and easy? You can’t beat that combination!
Why You’ll Love This Italian Sausage Pasta Recipe
- It is absolutely delicious. The combination of the savory Italian sausage, seasonings, pasta, and all the cheese is simply irresistible.
- It is an easy meal that is perfect for those busy weeknights, and it only takes minimal ingredients.
- It’s versatile and can be customized to your liking. For example, you can use different types of pasta, and different types of sausage, such as sweet Italian sausage, mild Italian sausage, or even chicken sausage. And, different vegetables can be added, such as mushrooms and bell peppers.
Italian Sausage Penne Pasta Ingredients
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this recipe. They’re all kitchen staples. You won’t have to buy much or anything to make this recipe!
- Mini penne pasta
- Hot Italian sausage, crumbled
- Mozzarella cheese
- Cloves garlic
- Diced tomatoes
- Black pepper
How to Make Italian Sausage Penne Pasta
Making this recipe couldn’t be easier. It only takes a few minutes, a few simple steps, and two pots. That’s it! You’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time.
Step 1: Cook the Sausage and Vegetables
Cook the sausage and onions in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat until the sausage is no longer pink and the onions are tender. Drain the grease, return to pan, and add the minced garlic, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
Step 2: Add Diced Tomatoes
Add the diced tomatoes and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Step 3: Cook the Pasta
Cook the pasta according to the package directions for al dente. Then, drain and add it to the sausage mixture.
Step 4: Add the Cheese
Sprinkle the cheese into the mixture, stir, and enjoy!
- A large skillet will work for this recipe, but a Dutch oven is better.
- It’s important not to overcook your noodles. You don’t want them to get mushy when you mix them into the sausage.
- Cook the sausage until no longer pink and no further. Overcooked ground meat is tough and loses its flavor.
- For an extra spicy version, try adding chopped jalapenos or red pepper flakes.
- If you prefer a mild version, use sweet Italian sausage.
- Try adding mushrooms and other vegetables to this dish.
- Use a different favorite type of pasta, such as rigatoni, ziti, shells, and elbow macaroni.
What to Serve with Italian Sausage Penne Pasta
This is a super hearty dish, so I recommend keeping things simple. Serve it with a Caesar salad or side salad and garlic bread for a delicious meal.
Italian sausage penne pasta is a rich, cheesy, meaty one pot meal made with Italian sausage, penne pasta, and a cheesy tomato sauce.
You can add mushrooms, bell peppers, hot peppers, and any of your other favorite veggies to this dish.
This delicious dish reheats very well, so feel free to make it in advance. Then, just heat it up in a pot and serve!
Italian sausage should be cooked to an Internal temperature of 160 to 165 degrees. If you’re cooking ground Italian sausage, simply cook it until it’s no longer pink.
You can absolutely freeze this pasta. It freezes very well and will last for up to 3 months when stored properly.
How to Store and Reheat Italian Sausage Penne Pasta Leftovers
Place in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days. For longer storage, freeze it for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
To reheat the pasta, place it in a saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat and cook until heated through.
Try This Delicious Italian Sausage Penne Pasta Recipe Today
This hearty, rich sausage and pasta dish is loaded with flavor, not work. It’s an easy recipe that you can have on the table in just about 45 minutes and will satisfy even the heftiest eaters. Give this recipe a try, and I know you’ll make it a permanent part of your recipe rotation.
More Delicious Pasta Recipes You’ll Enjoy
This Classic Lasagna is a family favorite pasta recipe that has been in our family for over 40 years. It’s hearty, delicious, and full of flavor, lots of cheese, and a hearty meat sauce. And, it is super easy to make,
Italian Sausage Penne Pasta
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat, add sausage and onions, and cook until sausage is no longer pink and onions are tender.
- Drain grease and return to the pan.
- Add minced garlic, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Cook for two minutes.
- Pour diced tomatoes into the skillet and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add water to a large pot and bring water to a boil over medium high heat.
- Cook pasta to al dente, drain, and add penne pasta to sausage mixture, stir to combine.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese into the sausage mixture, stir to combine.
- Serve hot with a side salad and garlic bread.
Follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media. Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest.