This sour cream noodle bake with ground beef is an easy and delicious comfort food recipe and is a real family-pleaser. It’s a simple dinner recipe the whole family will enjoy.
As a mom, I always looked for simple, hearty recipes to feed my family. Between my obligations, extracurricular activities, sleepovers, and all of the other little things that go into parenting – that really add up, by the way – getting dinner on the table needed to be quick, easy, and delicious. That’s when I fell in love with pasta bakes. They come together quickly, and you can feed an absolute army with them. From then on, I made a lot of pasta bakes for weeknight dinners. I also loved bringing them to potlucks and gatherings of all kinds. Now that my kids are off on their own, I still make these bakes for our weekend dinners or for any special event that I need to attend. This particular bake is one of my favorites, to make, and after you try it, I think it will be a favorite of yours, as well.
Sour Cream Noodle Bake
This delicious pasta bake starts with lean ground beef and egg noodles that are cooked to al dente perfection. Then, I mix it all up with tomato sauce, sour cream, cottage cheese, shredded cheese, and zesty spices. What I end up with is something that’s a little bit like a cross between a traditional pasta bake and lasagna. It’s rich, meaty, loaded with both sauce and rich cheese, and absolutely explodes with flavor in every bite.
Why You’ll Love This Sour Cream Noodle Bake Recipe
- It’s a quick and easy, hearty dinner recipe that’s perfect for a delicious weeknight meal.
- It’s creamy, cheesy, and so full of flavor.
- If you happen to have leftovers, they’re just as delicious the next day!
Sour Cream Noodle Bake Tips and Variations
This is a super easy recipe, as most noodle bakes are. That being said, I have some tips to make sure you make the absolute best version of this recipe you possibly can. I even have some tasty variations that I think you’ll love to try.
- Never cook your noodles past al dente. You’ll be mixing them with the other ingredients, and then the entire thing will be baked. If you cook your noodles too long initially, they’ll turn to mush.
- Always drain your ground meat, no matter how lean it is, to avoid a greasy dish.
- Give your sauce a little time to simmer to really combine the flavors. The minimum is 20 minutes, but longer works even better!
- Try using ground chicken or turkey in place of ground beef.
- Italian sausage is fantastic in this recipe.
- Change up your flavors and cut the prep time even further by using your favorite jarred spaghetti sauce.
- Use ricotta cheese in place of half of the cottage cheese for even richer cheesy goodness.
What to Serve with Sour Cream Noodle Bake
This delicious pasta bake is fantastic with a variety of sides. Some of my favorites include:
- Crusty bread
- Side salad
- Your favorite vegetables
- Your favorite pasta dishes (when feeding a group of people)
Sour Cream Noodle Bake FAQ
If you have questions about this delicious pasta bake, then read on. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about this dish.
How long will sour cream noodle bake last in the fridge?
You can store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.
What is sour cream noodle bake?
It’s a traditional pasta bake consisting of cheese, pasta sauce, pasta, and ground beef. Sour cream is added for even more richness and tangy flavor.
What defines a pasta bake?
Any baked dish consisting of pasta, sauce, and a topping of melted cheese is considered a pasta bake.
Can you freeze leftover pasta bake?
Absolutely. Freeze the entire pasta bake in its original container wrapped in a double layer of cling wrap and a layer of foil for up to 4 months. You can also place leftovers in an air-tight, freezer-safe container.
Who invented the pasta bake?
This simple, rustic dish dates back to the late Middle Ages and the Renaissance period. Although we use them as quick and easy recipes for casual get-togethers and family dinners, during that time, they were reserved for banquets at the palaces of nobles.
How to Store and Reheat Sour Cream Noodle Bake
Store your leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days. For longer storage, you can freeze it in its original dish wrapped in a double layer of cling wrap and a layer of foil for up to 4 months. You can also place leftovers in an air-tight, freezer-safe container.
To reheat the pasta bake, place it in an oven-safe container (or the original container if you left it in it) in the oven, cover it, and bake it for 15 to 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
Sour Cream Noodle Bake Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make this delicious recipe. You’ll find everything you need easily at your local grocery store, and most of it might even be in your kitchen right now.
- Lean ground beef
- Garlic cloves
- Tomato sauce
- Tomato paste
- Slap Ya Mama
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Egg noodles
- Sour cream
- Small curd cottage cheese
- Green onions
- Colby jack cheese
How to Make Sour Cream Noodle Bake with Ground Beef
This is a bake – essentially a pasta casserole – so it should come as no surprise that this is a fairly easy recipe to make. Even the homemade sauce is super simple!
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly spray a 3-quart oval baker or 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Set it aside.
Step 2: Cook the Beef
Add the ground beef and onions to a large skillet or frying pan and cook over medium high heat until the meat is no longer pink and the onions are translucent. Then, add the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Drain the mixture and return it to the pan.
Step 3: Make the Sauce
Sprinkle the beef mixture with seasonings and stir. Then, add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, and water. Stir to combine and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
Step 4: Cook the Noodles
In a large pot of water, boil the egg noodles in a large pot of water according to the package directions for al dente.
Step 5: Add the Cheese
Combine the sour cream and cottage cheese in a medium mixing bowl, then add the sour cream mixture to the pan with the egg noodles. Add the green onions and stir to combine.
Step 6: Construct the Bake
Place half of the egg noodle mixture in the bottom of the baking dish, then add half of the meat sauce and half of the cheese. Repeat with the remaining noodle mixture, sauce, and cheese.
Step 7: Bake
Bake the pasta bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is hot and bubbly. Enjoy!
Try This Delicious Sour Cream Noodle Bake Recipe Today
This sour cream noodle bake is loaded with a tangy, cheesy noodle mixture, homemade meat sauce, and of course, loads of melty cheese. It’s easy to make, absolutely delicious, and it’s hearty enough to satisfy even the biggest eaters. It’s the perfect weeknight meal or addition to any potluck or get-together. Give this recipe a try, and I know you’ll love it as much as my family does.
More Delicious Pasta Recipe You’ll Enjoy
Beef and Noodles – An ultimate comfort food made with tender beef, a creamy sauce, all tossed with egg noodles.
Italian Sausage Fettucine Pasta – A creamy and delicious pasta made with a red meat sauce and a creamy white sauce that is perfect for dinner.
Spicy Chicken with Jalapeno and Shells – A creamy and delicious pasta recipe made with a kick of spice.
And, Creamy Tortellini Bake from Deliciously Seasoned. It’s a delicious pasta recipe made with a creamy white sauce, meat sauce, and cheesy tortellini.
Sour Cream Noodle Bake with Ground Beef
- 1.5 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 15 ounce tomato sauce
- 6 ounce tomato paste
- 6 ounce water
- 1 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 12 ounce egg noodles
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 ½ cup small curd cottage cheese
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- 2 cups Colby jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350° and lightly spray a 3 quart oval baker or a 9×13 baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan or cast iron skillet, add ground beef and onions. Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and onions are translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Drain fat and return to pan.
- Sprinkle with seasonings and pepper, stir, and add tomato sauce, tomato paste and water. Stir to combine and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- In a large pot of water, cook egg noodles until al dente. Drain and return to pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine sour cream and cottage cheese together and then add to pan with the egg noodles. Add green onions and stir to combine.
- Place half of the egg noodle mixture in the bottom of the baking dish, followed by half the meat mixture and half the shredded cheese. Repeat with noodles, meat and cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is hot and bubbly.
- Enjoy with a side salad and crusty bread.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.