Instant Pot Italian Sausage Pasta is an easy and delicious instant pot recipe loaded with Italian sausage, pasta, mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, and seasoning.
Nothing is more satisfying than a hearty pasta dish loaded with sauce and meat. Well, actually there is – a hearty, meaty Italian dish that’s super easy to make. You guys, the Instant Pot changed my life. I was a little late to the party. I waited for a year or two before I got one because I thought it was a gimmick. Then, it was brought to my attention that Instant Pots are just little pressure cookers with a fancy name and that can do a bit more. At that point, I got one, and I’ve never looked back. I love this recipe because making it with the Instant Pot makes it super quick and easy, and that’s a combo that I’ve always loved.
Instant Pot Italian Sausage Pasta
This delicious recipe combines zesty, hot Italian sausage with an easy red sauce and al dente rigatoni to create a hearty, satisfying meal that everyone always loves. The Italian sausage works perfectly with the complex sauce that I cook it in. It’s not just tomato sauce and paste. I also add vegetable broth, Rotel, and diced tomatoes to create a chunky sauce that’s flavorful and substantial enough to pair with the sausage rather than be overwhelmed by it. It’s an absolutely delicious dish, and everyone in your family will love it.
Why You’ll Love This Instant Pot Italian Sausage Pasta
- It’s so easy to make and it only uses simple ingredients.
- It’s incredibly delicious, and it quickly becomes a family favorite Instant Pot recipe.
- It is a hearty pasta recipe that the whole family will love.
- It’s important to let the pressure release naturally for the first 5 minutes at the end of the recipe so the dish can finish cooking.
- Be sure you get all the tasty bits left after sauteeing the sausage so you get even more flavor in your sauce.
- Be very gentle when stirring your dish before putting it under pressure. Stir the noodles as little as possible so they don’t break up while cooking.
- Use mild Italian sausage if you don’t like spicy food.
- Any of your favorite short noodles will work in this recipe.
- For even more spiciness, add red pepper flakes to the pasta sauce.
What to Serve with Instant Pot Italian Sausage Pasta
This is a very heart meal that I find is best served with just a simple side like:
- Crusty bread
- Garlic bread
- Side salad
Can you overcook pasta in Instant Pot?
You can. The Instant Pot is incredibly well insulated, so the noodles can continue to cook even after the lid has been removed. That’s why most dishes have a time that actually only cooks the pasta about halfway. It continue to cook as the pressure releases and the Instant Pot cools off.
Can I make Instant Pot Italian sausage pasta on the stovetop?
Absolutely. The Instant Pot only makes the process faster. You can make every part of this recipe on the stove.
How long will Italian sausage pasta last in the fridge?
It will keep for up to 4 days in an air-tight container.
Do you cook Italian sausage with the casing on?
It depends on the recipe. The casing is all-natural, so if you’re recipe calls for sliced sausage, cook it with the casing on. If it calls for crumbled, remove it from the casing.
What to do if Your Instant Pot Says “Burn”
First, don’t panic. It’s usually a minor problem causing the sensor to detect that the interior vessel of the Instant Pot is too hot.
- Be sure your steam valve is sealed. If the valve isn’t sealed properly, the Instant Pot will continue to try to pressurize which leads to an overheated interior vessel.
- Check the liquid level. Instant Pots need at least 1 cup of water to create steam. Too little liquid or thick liquid like sauce can cause the burn message.
- Be sure the ring is placed correctly so the Instant Pot can pressurize. The inability to pressurize can cause the burn message.
- Check for stuck food. If food is stuck on the bottom of the vessel, it can trigger an overheat to the sensor.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Italian Sausage Pasta
This pasta dish will last for up to 4 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. For longer storage, freeze this dish for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
To reheat the dish, place it in a saucepan, cover, and heat over medium-low heat until heated through.
Instant Pot Italian Sausage Pasta Ingredients
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this recipe. Most of them are probably already in your kitchen right now!
- Hot Italian sausage
- Green bell peppers, sliced
- Onions, chopped
- Cloves garlic, minced
- Butter, divided
- Black pepper
- Tomato sauce
- Tomato paste
- Diced tomatoes
- Vegetable broth
- Rigatoni pasta
- Mozzarella, shredded
How to Make Instant Pot Italian Sausage Pasta
Making this dish is a very straightforward affair. It’s all done in the Instant Pot from start to finish, and it only takes a very basic knowledge of the kitchen.
Step 1: Cook the Sausage
Add half the butter and sausage links to the bottom of the Instant Pot. Then, set to sautee and cook until all sides are browned. Remove the sausage from the pot, slice it into ½-inch slices and return to the pot.
Step 2: Cook the Vegetables
Add the remaining butter and scrape the bottom to remove all the brown bits. Then, add sliced bell peppers, onions, and garlic, and saute until the peppers are soft – about 3 to 4 minutes.
Step 3: Make the Dish
Add the oregano, basil, and pepper and stir. Then, add the remaining ingredient excluding the cheese. Lock the lid and turn vent to “sealing” and press “Manual”, “High Pressure”, and set the time to 6 minutes.
Step 4: Vent
When finished, natural release the pressure for about 5 minutes, then quick-release the remaining pressure. When the float valve drops, add the shredded cheese, stir, and serve.
Try This Easy IP Italian Sausage Pasta Recipe Today
This delicious Instant Pot Italian sausage pasta recipe is so easy to make and so full of flavor, you’ll be including it in your dinner rotation for the foreseeable future. I guarantee it. Make it just once, and you’ll be hooked!
More Italian Sausage Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Cheesy Hamburger Pasta – This quick and easy ground beef pasta recipe is hearty, super flavorful and can be on the table in about 30 minutes. It’s a delicious weeknight meal the whole family is going to enjoy.
Barbecue Chicken Bacon Pasta Salad – This pasta salad recipe has amazing flavor with the shredded chicken, the creamy barbecue sauce mixture and all the other ingredients. A tasty and filling meal.
Italian Sausage Penne Casserole – This delicious casserole is so good and loaded with lots of cheese, Italian sausage, spices, tomatoes and penne pasta. Absolutely scrumptious.
And, here is an Easy One Pot Goulash, from Deliciously Seasoned, that you will enjoy as well.
Instant Pot Italian Sausage Pasta
- 1 pound Hot Italian sausage
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced
- 1 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 15 ounce tomato sauce
- 6 ounce tomato paste
- 14.25 ounce diced tomatoes
- 10 ounce Rotel
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 16 ounce Rigatoni
- 4 cups Mozzarella, shredded
- Add ½ of the butter (2 Tbsp) and the Italian sausage links to the bottom on pot.
- "Saute" sausage until all sides are browned then remove from pot.
- Slice sausage into ½" slices and add back to pot.
- Add remaining butter and scrape the bottom to remove any bits of brown, then add sliced bell peppers, onions and garlic to IP.
- "Saute" until bell peppers are soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add, oregano, basil, pepper and stir.
- Next, add the remaining ingredients and stir, except for cheese.
- Close and lock lid, turn vent to "sealing" and press "Manual" "High Pressure" and set the time for 6 minutes (takes about 20 minutes to reach to full pressure).
- When finished, natural release for 5 minutes then quick release.
- Open lid once the float valve drops, add shredded cheese, stir and serve.
- Serve with side salad and garlic bread.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.