Hot dogs are an all-American food and the perfect size for hot-dog sliders. This hot dog sliders recipe combines chili and cheese and serves them on mini buns for a tailgate-inspired meal!
Is there ever a bad time for hot dogs? If you’re asking me, the answer will always be “no”. Hot dogs are pure Americana. During the summer, there’s nothing like a dog straight from the grill – lightly marked or completely blistered, depending on your preference. Then, in the cold months, you can boil them up and steam some buns for a delicious taste of the summer that you’re waiting for when the wind is howling and the temperatures are plummeting. They make great lunches or dinners, and they’re always welcome at backyard bashes, gameday parties, or when tailgating at the ballpark.
I’m a life-long fan of hot dogs, and everything I just listed is why. I also love to get creative with hot dogs, and this recipe is borne from that. I’ve taken hot dogs and combined them with the sensibilities of sliders to create a unique appetizer, lunch, or dinner that’s easy, interesting, and always a big hit with everyone.
Hot Dog Sliders with Chili and Cheese
If you stop for a minute and try to imagine the perfect summer or party food, these hot dog sliders will fit the bill. Everyone loves hot dogs slathered in chili and melty cheese. Everyone also loves sliders in almost any form. This recipe combines both of them into the ultimate fun food for all your family and friends.
Toasted slider buns that are toasted on the outside and soft on the inside and stuffed with hot dogs, chili, cheese, red onions, and a kick of heat from added jalapenos. What you end up with is all the classic flavors of chili cheese dogs stuffed into toasted slider buns to create a dish that’s full of delicious flavors and textures.
Why You’ll Love This Hot Dog Sliders Recipe
- They’re a great appetizer for game day, backyard BBQs, tailgating, and family gatherings.
- They’re a fun recipe that the kids can help you make.
- They are not your typical slider recipe. They’re loaded with hot dogs, chili, Colby jack cheese, and red onions.
Hot Dog Sliders Tips and Variations
I have a couple of tips here to help you make this easy recipe the absolute best that it can possibly be. I also have some fun variations that I think you’ll enjoy.
- When cutting your hot dogs, be sure you only cut them about 3/4 of the way through. You want to be able to bend them to fit the slider buns without breaking them.
- Always grill your buns on medium heat. It’s hot enough to toast them but not so hot that they’ll burn easily. You can also add melted butter onto the buns for a better toast on the buns.
- Go the traditional route, and top your hot dog sliders with ketchup, mustard, and relish.
- Try making this recipe with grilled brats.
- Top your dogs with barbecue baked beans for an explosion of backyard BBQ flavor.
Hot Dog Sliders FAQ
If you have questions about this recipe, then you’ll find the answers here. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about hot dog sliders.
How do you keep hot dogs warm for a party?
Wrap each hot dog slicer in foil, and then place them in a cooler just big enough to hold them all. Their heat will be trapped in the cooler, keeping them warm. To keep them warm even longer, add a travel hot pack to the cooler.
How long will hot dog sliders last in the fridge?
Although cooked hot dogs will last for up to 7 days in the fridge, these hot dog sliders will last for about 3 days in the fridge once they’ve been constructed./p>
What are sliders?
Original sliders were mini hamburgers served on small buns. These days, “sliders” refers to any small sandwich served on a bun.
What goes good with hot dogs for a party?
- Baked beans
- Pasta Salad
- Potato Salad
- Mac and cheese
- French fries
How to Store and Reheat Hot Dog Sliders
Store these in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
To reheat them, wrap them in a moistened paper towel and microwave them at 1-minute intervals until hot.
Hot Dog Sliders Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make this recipe. They’re all readily available at your local grocery store.
- Bun length hot dogs
- Slider buns
- Chili with beans
- Pickled jalapenos
- Colby Jack cheese or cheddar cheese
- Red onions
How to Make Hot Dog Sliders with Chili and Cheese
Making this recipe only takes a few simple steps. It’s a fun recipe that anyone can make, and it’s perfect for getting the kids involved with the cooking.
Step 1: Score the Hot Dogs
Make cuts about 1/4-inch apart down the length of the hot dog. Cut them about 3/4 of the way through, being careful not to cut all the way through them. Form a circle with each hot dog and secure them with a toothpick.
Step 2: Heat the Chili
Add the chili to a small saucepan and cook on medium heat until hot.
Step 3: Toast the Slider Buns
Spread the mayonnaise on the insides of each slider bun. Then, grill them in a frying pan over medium heat until golden brown. Set aside.
Step 4: Grill the Hot Dogs
Grill the hot dogs until they reach you’re desired doneness.
Step 5: Assemble the Sliders
Add the hot dogs to the bottom of each bun, then add a heaping tablespoon of chili followed by garnishes of shredded cheese, diced onions, and pickled jalapenos. Add the top bun and enjoy!
Try These Delicious Chili Cheese Hot Dog Sliders Today
These hot dog sliders are loaded with all our favorite hot dog flavors, but they’re not loaded with work. Grill them up outside or on an indoor grilling pan, toast your buns, and go to town with all that delicious chili and cheese. These are the perfect dish for a fun lunch or dinner, a backyard party, or any time you want a taste of summer. With all that flavor and ease of making it, there’s no reason not to give them a try. Make this recipe just once, and I know you’ll find yourself making it again and again
Here are a Few More Slider Recipes to Try
Pulled Pork Sliders – Each slider is packed high will delicious pulled pork, coleslaw, and crispy fried onions. It’s the perfect way to use up leftover pulled pork.
Cheesy Beefy Sliders – A simple and easy recipe that is made with ground beef, lots of cheese, seasonings, and a handful of other ingredients.
Pepperoni Sausage Pizza Sliders – These delicious sliders are perfect for pizza lovers. They’re sliders that are stuffed with mozzarella cheese, sausage, pepperoni, and tomato sauce.
And, try these Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Sliders from Deliciously Seasoned. They’re loaded with tender honey BBQ chicken and homemade pineapple coleslaw.
Hot Dog Sliders with Chili and Cheese
- 8 beef hot dogs, bun length
- 8 slider buns
- (2) 15 ounce cans chili with beans
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapenos
- 1 cup Colby Jack cheese, shredded
- ½ cup red onions, diced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- Start out by making small cuts lengthwise into each hot dog about ¼ inch between each cut, but do not cut all the way through.
- Form a circle with each hot dog and secure the ends with a toothpick.
- Heat chili and diced jalapenos, over medium heat, in a small saucepan.
- Spread mayonnaise on the insides of each slider bun.
- In a frying pan, over medium heat, place buns, mayo side down, and grill until golden. Remove and set aside.
- Grill hot dogs until done.
Assemble the Sliders
- Add hot dogs to the bottom buns followed by a heaping tablespoon or two of chili.
- Top with shredded cheese, diced onions and the top bun.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.