These Easy Chocolate Chip Cookies are the chocolate lovers’ answer to cookies. A favorite among almost everyone, these cookies are easy to make, especially with step-by-step instructions and simple ingredients.
Chocolate chip cookies are a staple sweet treat no matter where you go. I can’t think of anyone who doesn’t love them. That’s why I’ve been making them for decades. They were the first sweet treat I learned to make, and they’ve been a regular part of my dessert and snack rotation for as long as I’ve been cooking. We won’t get into specifics, but it’s been a few years! What makes these cookies so great is that they fit into any occasion perfectly. From baby showers to holiday dinners, after-school snacks, or just because, chocolate chip cookies are always a great choice!
Easy Chocolate Chip Cookies
These delicious cookies start with an easy cookie dough base with a little something extra – oatmeal powder. It might sound odd, but the oatmeal makes for a wonderful texture in the cookie and the flavor is enhanced rather than changed to an oatmeal cookie flavor. To this simple dough, I add grated semi-sweet chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate chips for a double blast of chocolate goodness along with chopped walnuts for even more flavor and texture. Then, it’s all baked up to golden perfection, creating soft, chewy cookies that everyone always loves.
Why You’ll Love These Easy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- They are delicious and always a favorite.
- They’re perfect for any occasion. They’re great for parties, cookie exchanges, potlucks, or to fill up the cookie jar.
- Everyone loves chocolate chip cookies!
- Be sure your butter is fully softened for the easiest creaming and to ensure there are not bits of raw butter in the batter.
- Mix the dough until it’s fully incorporated, but don’t overmix it. Overmixing cookie dough develops gluten, which makes a tougher cookie.
- It’s important to let the cookies sit on the cookie sheet for a couple of minutes after baking so the carryover cooking time can complete the baking process.
Variations and Add-Ins
- Milk chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips, white chocolate morsels, peanut butter chips, or chocolate chunks all work well in this recipe.
- Add your favorite nuts to this recipe.
- Add M&Ms or your favorite candy bars chopped up into pieces for a delicious change of pace.
What to Serve with Easy Chocolate Chip Cookies
These chocolate chip cookies are delicious with milk, tea, or coffee. They’re also perfect for dipping into dessert dips or as part of a large dessert spread at parties. They are basically perfect with any other sweet treat!
What is the secret to a chewy cookie?
It’s all about moisture. Butter adds milk solids and water, which make a softer cookie. Brown sugar adds molasses which is a softener. Baking also plays a role. Slightly undertaking the cookies and letting them sit on the hot cookie sheet makes for perfectly baked cookies that are soft and chewy.
What kind of butter makes the best chocolate chip cookies?
Unsalted butter is the best for cookies. It has a pure flavor and tends to be fresher than salted butter. In addition, using salted butter adds unnecessary salt to the cookies and changes the flavor.
How long do homemade chocolate chip cookies last?
You can store them at room temperature in an airtight container for up to a week or you can also refrigerate them for up to 2 weeks. For even longer storage, they can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Can I make these cookies gluten-free?
You can. Replace the flour with almond flour for a gluten-free version.
Can you freeze chocolate chip cookies?
Absolutely. Chocolate chip cookies freeze very well, and they’ll last for up to 3 months in the freezer.
Can you freeze chocolate chip cookie dough?
Again, the answer is yes. Make the dough, then divide it in two and press each half into a disk about an inch thick. then wrap them tightly in a double layer of plastic wrap and then a layer of foil. Freeze for up to 3 months.
How to Store These Easy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week or for 2 weeks in an airtight container in the refrigerator. For longer storage, you can freeze them for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
Easy Chocolate Chip Cookies Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make these cookies. You’ll find them all easily at your local grocery store.
- Brown sugar
- Large eggs
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Oatmeal ground to fine powder
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Table salt
- Semi-sweet chocolate bar, grated
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Chopped walnuts
How to Make Easy Chocolate Chip Cookies with Step by Step Instructions
Making these cookies is a breeze. You’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time!
Step 1: Combine the Wet Ingredients
Cream the butter and sugars in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer. Then, add the eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.
Step 2: Combine the Dry Ingredients
Whisk the flour, powdered oatmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl.
Step 3: Make the Dough
Slowly stir the dry ingredients into the wet until combined and no more.
Step 4: Add the Mix-Ins
Add the grated chocolate and stir. Then, add the chocolate chips and walnuts and stir until combined.
Step 5: Bake
Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and place them onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten the balls slightly to ½-inch thick. Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until the edges just start to brown. Then, remove from the oven and cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes.
Step 6: Cool
Transfer the cookies to a wire rack, cool them completely, and enjoy!
Try This Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe Today
These chocolate chip cookies with the crisp edges and chewy centers are easy to make and so full of delicious flavors, you’ll want to make them all year long. And you know what? That’s actually a great idea! A cookie recipe this simple and tasty is absolutely worth enjoying anytime, anywhere. Give them a try, and I know you’ll agree.
More Favorite Cookie Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Chocolate Chip Pecan Pretzel Cookies – These delicious cookies are loaded with chocolate chips, chopped pecans and pretzel pieces and are both sweet and salty, soft and chewy, and always a favorite.
White Chocolate Cranberry Pecan Cookies – These super soft, thick and delicious cookies are loaded with dried cranberries, white chocolate chips and chopped pecans, and baked until the edges are slightly browned. So delicious!
Hockey Puck Chocolate Chip Cookies – These thick and gooey cookies are full of chocolaty goodness and are soft and chewy and make a delicious snack any time of year.
And, here are some delicious Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies, from Deliciously Seasoned, that you will enjoy as well.
Easy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 ½ cups oatmeal ground to fine powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 ounce bar semi-sweet chocolate, grated
- 12 ounce semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 ½ cups chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer or bowl of a stand mixer on medium speed, cream butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, powdered oatmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix until well incorporated.
- Add grated chocolate, chocolate chips and walnuts. Stir until combined.
- Roll cookie dough into 1 inch balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet, and flatten slightly to ½ inch.
- Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until the edges just start to brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for about 2 minutes, then remove to cooling rack.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.