This delicious crock pot chili is bursting with fragrant spices, three types of beans, savory beef and Italian sausage, and is so easy to make. With minimal prep and a few hours of slow-cooked magic, this chili recipe turns simple ingredients into a hearty and satisfying meal the whole family will enjoy.
I’m a huge chili fan. I grew up in California, and although a lot of people outside of the state don’t know it, you can find some amazing chili there! Later in life, I moved to Texas, and of course, there’s no shortage of amazing chili recipes here. What that all means is that I love eating AND making chili. And what I really love doing is putting fun new twists on this classic Tex-Mex dish. One of my favorite chili recipes is this one that adds an extra flavorful twist with the addition of Italian sausage and three kinds of beans. It’s a delicious, hearty chili that takes the classic dish and gives it a little oomph that everyone always loves.
Crock Pot Chili
This easy, delicious chili starts with a blend of ground beef, hot Italian sausage links that I cut up to add extra flavor and a bit more texture, onions, bell peppers, jalapenos, and seasonings. Then, I cook it all in a large skillet until the meat is cooked and the vegetables are tender. Then, I combine it with pinto, kidney, and black beans, along with classic chili spices and a zesty kick with Cajun seasoning, and cook it all in my slow cooker with diced tomatoes and enchilada sauce to create a Tex-Mex dish that’s heavy on the Mex and oh, so good.
Why You’ll Love This Crock Pot Chili Recipe
- The combination of ingredients and robust flavors make this chili recipe one you will make over and over again.
- It is so easy to make, and once the beef and Italian sausage are cooked, it’s just a matter of tossing the rest of the ingredients into the crock pot, set it, and forget it.
- It’s perfect for busy weeknights and delivers maximum flavor with minimal effort.
Crock Pot Chili Ingredients
This recipe only uses simple ingredients to make. You’ll find the meat, vegetables, spices, and enchilada sauce quickly and easily at your local grocery store with zero effort.
- Ground beef
- Hot Italian sausage links
- Green bell pepper
- Chili powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Ground cumin
- Black pepper
- Slap Ya Mama seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Kidney beans
- Black beans
- Pinto beans
- Petite diced tomatoes
- Red enchilada sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How to Make Crock Pot Chili
Making this delicious chili is incredibly easy. It only takes a few minutes of skillet work, and the crock pot does the rest! Anyone can make it with ease.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat an 8-quart crock pot with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
Step 2: Cook the Meat and Vegetables
Cook the ground beef, Italian sausage, onions, bell pepper, jalapenos, and the seasonings over medium heat in a large skillet until the meat is no longer pink, and the vegetables are tender. Drain the excess grease.
Step 2: Add Everything to the Crock Pot
Add the meat and vegetables, beans, tomatoes, and enchilada sauce, to the crock pot, stir, and cook for 3-4 hours on high or 5-6 hours on low. Add your favorite chili toppings, such as cheddar cheese, sour cream, fresh cilantro, and sliced green onions, if desired.
- It’s important to cook the meat until no longer pink and no further. Overcooking the meat initially will make rubbery, tough meat by the time the chili is finished.
- Cook the meat and vegetables over medium heat and no higher so the vegetables don’t burn.
- It’s important to spray the crock pot with nonstick spray to prevent any of the ingredients or the sauce from sticking.
- Be sure to thoroughly rinse your beans or your chili will be too thin.
- For a less spicy version, omit the cayenne pepper and jalapenos and use mild Italian sausage.
- You can make this with ground turkey and turkey Italian sausage.
- This chili can be made with beef stew meat or a combination of ground beef and ground pork.
What to Serve with Crock Pot Chili
Serve this delicious, super-hearty chili with standard chili fare like:
- Mexican cornbread
- Crusty bread
- Garlic bread
- Texas toast
Always drain canned beans for chili. All the liquid in those cans will make your chili watery.
Always cook your meat before adding it to your chili for the best flavor and to prevent greasy chili.
You can put raw meat of any kind in a slow cooker. Slow cookers are designed to cook meats and vegetables slowly. It’s completely safe.
Cooking chili low and slow gives all the flavors plenty of time to meld together and creates a deeper flavor profile.
Chili freezes very well and will last for up to 3 months when properly stored.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Crock Pot Chili
Refrigerate this chili for up to 4 days in an airtight container. For longer storage, freeze it for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container or a heavy-duty freezer bag with as much air removed as possible.
To reheat the chili, place it in a pot and cook over medium-low heat until heated through.
Try This Delicious Crock Pot Chili Recipe Today
This hearty, rich chili is loaded with meat, beans, and zesty spices, and features a distinct Mexican slant on the classic Tex-Mix dish with red enchilada sauce. It’s an incredibly easy chili recipe that’s full of flavor, not work, and everyone always loves it! Give this chili a try, and I know you’ll fall in love with it. It’s the perfect lunch or dinner for fall and winter. Give it a try!
More Delicious Chili Recipes You’ll Enjoy
This Chuck Roast Spicy Chili is a hearty and delicious homemade chili recipe that is loaded with chuck roast, ground beef, onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, beans, and seasoned perfectly. A super scrumptious dinner recipe the whole family will enjoy.
Crock Pot Chili
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 jalapeños, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Slap Ya Mama seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 29 ounce can red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 29 ounce can black beans, drained, rinsed
- 29 ounce can pinto beans, drained, rinsed
- 28 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- (2) 19 ounce cans red enchilada sauce
- Spray an 8-quart crock pot with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large skillet or frying pan, over medium heat, add ground beef, Italian sausage, onions, bell pepper, jalapenos, and the seasonings.
- Cook until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Drain excess grease. Add to the crock pot.
- Add the three different types of beans, tomatoes, and enchilada sauce to the meat mixture. Stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 5-6 hours.
- Top with your favorite chili toppings and serve with cornbread, crusty bread, and a side salad.
Follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media. Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest.