Deep-fried crispy cheese bites are a delicious and addicting appetizer or snack recipe that is made with a mixture of sharp cheddar and gouda cheese. These cheese bites are breaded and fried until crispy and golden brown on the outside and gooey and melty on the inside.
If you love anything with cheese, and you’re a sucker for appetizers, then you’ve come to the right place. Today, I’m sharing a cheesy appetizer that’s often requested for any gathering I’m attending. These crispy cheese bites are gooey on the inside and golden brown and crispy on the outside. They’re absolutely delicious, super easy to make, and perfect for almost any occasion. I love to serve them at game day parties, pot lucks, and I’ve even brought them to a couple of baby showers!
Crispy Cheese Bites
These bites start with a mixture of rich gouda and sharp cheddar cheese that I roll into balls and freeze until firm. Then, I coat them in flour, buttermilk and egg, and seasoned breadcrumbs and fry them until they’re melty on the inside and golden and crispy on the outside. The entire process only takes about 30 minutes when you take out the freeze time, and when I’m all done, I have crispy, cheesy bites that everyone loves. You absolutely can’t beat them with a stick – not even a mozzarella stick!
Why You’ll Love This Crispy Cheese Bites Recipe
- They’re absolutely delicious. The combination of sharp cheddar and gouda cheese, breaded and fried, is simply irresistible.
- These cheese bites are easy to make and only require a few simple ingredients and a little bit of time.
- They’re deep-fried, and these crispy cheese bites can be served on their own, as an appetizer, or as an afternoon snack.
Crispy Cheese Bites Ingredients
You’ll find the very few ingredients needed for this recipe in one quick trip to the grocery store. There’s nothing fancy about these little bites!
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Gouda cheese
- All purpose flour
- Large egg
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Slap Ya Mama seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Vegetable oil, for frying
Actual measurements are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to Make Crispy Cheese Bites
Making these cheese bites is a snap. It only takes a little mixing, a little dipping, and a little frying. It really is super easy and it only takes a few simple steps.
Step 1: Make the Cheese Balls
Mix the cheeses together in a large bowl. Then, roll them into small balls and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and flash-freeze them for 30 to 45 minutes.
Step 2: Make the Dredging Station
Add flour to a small container. Then, whisk buttermilk and egg in another container. Finally, combine the breadcrumbs and seasonings in a third container.
Step 3: Coat the Cheese Balls
Roll the balls in the flour. Then, dip them into the egg mixture. Finally, dip them into the breadcrumb mixture, the egg mixture again, and once more in the breadcrumbs.
Step 4: Fry
Heat oil in a large frying pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Then, fry 6 to 8 balls at a time in the hot oil until golden brown on all sides. Transfer the bites with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels and continue until all the bites are fried. Enjoy!
- Give the cheese balls a gentle tap between coatings to ensure the perfect final coating.
- Be sure you work in small batches when frying the cheese balls to ensure the oil stays nice and hot.
- The easiest way to mix the cheeses is by hand.
- For a kick of heat and flavor, try adding finely diced jalapenos to the cheese.
- Mix cooked ground beef into the cheese for cheesy beef bites.
- You can air fry these cheese bites if you prefer.
What to Serve with Crispy Cheese Bites
These bites are a tasty addition to any appetizer spread when served alongside your other favorite savory appetizers. They’re also perfect when dipped in:
- Marinara sauce
- Pesto sauce
- BBQ sauce
- Honey mustard
These cheesy bites are made with a mixture of gouda and sharp cheddar cheese that’s rolled into balls, coated in panko, and deep-fried.
Cheese bites are delicious when dipped in:
Cook the cheese bites at 360 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes until heated through and crispy.
You can make the cheese balls and freeze them the day before you want to make these cheese bites. Then, simply follow the directions.
These cheese bites freeze well and will last for up to 3 months when stored properly.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Crispy Cheese Bites
Refrigerate these cheese bites in an airtight container for up to 5 days. For longer storage, you can freeze the in an airtight, freezer-safe container or heavy-duty freezer bag for up to 3 months.
To reheat the bites, defrost them overnight in the refrigerator. Then, air fry them at 375 degrees for 5 to 6 minutes until heated through and crispy.
Try This Delicious Crispy Cheese Bites Recipe Today
These crispy cheese bites are ooey, gooey, and cheesy on the inside and golden and crispy on the outside. The best part is that they’re so easy to make, you can whip them up any time you feel like it. Bring them to any party or potluck, or simply make them whenever you get a craving for them. Give these crispy cheese bites a try, and I know you’ll fall in love with them.
More Delicious Bite-Size Appetizer Recipes You’ll Enjoy
These Cheesy Jalapeno Cream Cheese Tots are absolutely delicious. They are loaded with cream cheese, two types of cheese, crispy bacon, green onions, cilantro, diced jalapenos, and seasoned perfectly. Next, they are shaped like tots and fried to golden brown perfection.
Crispy Cheese Bites
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups gouda cheese, shredded
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 ½ cups panko breadcrumbs, crushed
- 2 teaspoons Slap Ya Mama seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1-2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- Set up a dredging station with 3 shallow containers.
- The first container with flour, the second with buttermilk and egg whisked together, and the third with the breadcrumbs and all the seasonings.
- In a large bowl, add both cheeses and mix together.
- Roll into small balls and place on a small baking sheet.
- Flash freeze for 30-45 minutes.
- In a large frying pan or skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Roll each ball into flour, then into the egg mixture, next in the breadcrumb mixture, back into the egg mixture and back into the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place about 6-8 bites at a time into the hot oil. Cook until golden on all sides.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Work in batches.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media. Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest.