These Coffee Cake Muffins with Fresh Blueberries are tender, moist, and absolutely delicious! They’re sure to become a family favorite, especially during the months when fresh berries are at their peak.
If you love coffee cake, then I have a recipe for you! These coffee cake muffins use a coffee cake batter rather than a muffin batter, but I bake them in muffin tins. So I end up with exactly what the recipe says – muffins that are coffee cake. And oh, they’re so good. I love to serve these for breakfast, brunch, or afternoon snacks, and when my children and grandchildren come over, my muffins always go fast. Make them just once, and you’ll be hooked for life.
Coffee Cake Muffins
These delicious muffins start with a blueberry coffee cake batter that’s extra rich and moist thanks to the addition of sour cream. Then, I fill the muffin tin halfway with batter, add a layer of blueberry streusel filling, and finish filling the tin with more batter. I top the muffins with the remaining blueberry streusel and bake the muffins to golden perfection. They’re an explosion of sweet flavor in every bite!
Why You’ll Love This Coffee Cake Muffin Recipe
- The flavor combination is amazing with the sweet and tart blueberries mixed with the buttery streusel filling and topping.
- The muffins are fluffy and moist, thanks to the addition of the sour cream.
- They’re easy to make and come together quickly, then baked for 25 minutes for an easy breakfast or brunch treat.
- They are delicious for any occasion and are versatile with so many different fruit choices.
Coffee Cake Muffins Ingredients
This recipe uses simple baking ingredients, and almost all of them are probably in your kitchen right now. Anything you don’t have can be easily found at your local grocery store.
- Egg yolks
- Sour cream
- Vanilla extract
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Light brown sugar
How to Make Coffee Cake Muffins
Although this entire recipe is made from scratch, it’s very easy to do. You’ll just do a little mixing and pop the whole thing into the oven. That’s it!
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Then, spray a jumbo muffin pan with non-stick spray or use jumbo cupcake liners. Set aside.
Step 2: Make the Streusel and Filling
Stir the brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, and pecans together. Set aside ¾ cup for the filling. Then, add flour, butter, and vanilla to the remaining mixture to form a crumbly streusel.
Step 3: Combine Eggs, Sour Cream, and Vanilla
Gently mix the egg yolks, 6 tablespoons of sour cream, and vanilla in a small bowl and set aside.
Step 4: Combine the Dry Batter Ingredients
Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
Step 5: Add the Wet Batter Ingredients
Add butter and the remaining sour cream to the flour mixture and mix until combined. Then, gradually add the egg mixture a little at a time, mixing well after each addition. The batter will be thick and sticky.
Step 6: Fill the Muffin Pan
Fill the muffin tin halfway with the batter. Then, add 2 tablespoons of the filling, 1 tablespoon of blueberries, and then batter to fill. Top with the streusel topping.
Step 7: Bake
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack and enjoy!
- Your batter with be thick and sticky. It’s supposed to be. Don’t try to thin it out.
- It’s important to mix the batter in the way noted in the recipe. The batter won’t combine correctly if you just add all the ingredients together.
- Cool the muffins to warm, not hot, before serving.
- Use your favorite berries for the streusel and filling
- Chopped walnuts or almonds work well for the streusel.
- If you don’t have sour cream, you can use full-fat Greek yogurt.
What to Serve with Coffee Cake Muffins
Serve these delicious muffins as a sweet breakfast or snack with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee or tea. They’re also a wonderful addition to a larger breakfast spread with all of your favorite savory breakfast items like bacon, sausage, and eggs.
Coffee cake muffins are small coffee cakes. Coffee cake batter is poured into a muffin tin and then baked.
Coffee cake doesn’t taste good, it tastes amazing! Good coffee cake is sweet, moist, tender, and full of cinnamon and berry flavors.
A coffee cake is a single-layer cake with a cinnamon-infused flavor and streusel topping.
Coffee cake gets its name because people have traditionally enjoyed it with a cup of coffee.
The only major difference between coffee cake and crumb cake is that crumb cake has a thicker layer of streusel topping than coffee cake.
How to Store Leftover Coffee Cake Muffins
Store these muffins in an airtight container for up to 3 days. For longer storage, refrigerate them for up to 7 days in an airtight container.
Try This Delicious Coffee Cake Muffin Recipe Today
This coffee cake muffin recipe is full of delicious cinnamon and blueberry flavors and is made in single-serve muffin form. The entire recipe comes together quickly and easily and bakes to perfection in just about 30 minutes. You’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time, and your friends and family will absolutely love your muffins. Give this recipe a try, and I know you’ll make it again and again.
More Delicious Muffin Recipes You’ll Enjoy
And, here are some Homemade English Muffins that tastes delicious and are a family favorite.
Coffee Cake Muffins with Fresh Blueberries
Coffee Cake Batter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray a jumbo muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray or use jumbo cupcake liners.
Streusel Filling and Topping
- Whisk brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon and pecans together. Set aside ¾ cup for the filling.
- Add flour, butter and vanilla to the remaining mixture and form a crumbly streusel like topping.
Coffee Cake Muffins
- In a small bowl, gently mix egg yolks, 6 tablespoons of sour cream and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add butter and remaining sour cream. Mix until well combined.
- Gradually add egg mixture slowly, a little at a time. Mix well after each time. Batter will be thick and sticky.
- Add batter half way, to each muffin liner, followed by 2 tablespoons of filling, one tablespoon of blueberries, and more batter. Top with streusel topping.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Set on a cooling rack to cool.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.