Coconut Cream Pie Recipe
If you love coconut cream pie, you are going to love this recipe. Loaded with deliciously rich coconut flavor throughout, this delicious creamy pie is topped with additional toasted coconut which is perfect for the coconut pie lovers out there.
Coconut cream pie is a classic dessert pie recipe. Made with a flaky pie crust and filled with a coconut cream filling. With toasted coconut throughout the pie, this silky coconut cream pie is sure to be loved by everyone. This is an easy dessert to make and while it does take a little foresight because the custard needs to set overnight, the actual time it takes to make this delicious dessert is small.
What Kind of Pie Crust is Used To Make Coconut Cream Pie
While some cream pie recipes use a graham cracker crust, my coconut cream pie recipe uses a traditional pie dough crust. While it is possible to swap this crust for a graham cracker crust, the flaky pie dough crust works and tastes the best in my opinion.
What Gives this Easy Coconut Cream Pie the Coconut Flavor
This pie filling is a custard like pudding that has a very rich coconut flavor. The pie filling gets its delicious flavor because it is made with coconut cream instead of milk. This cream gives the pie more coconut flavor than just coconut alone. And, toasted coconut is also inside the pie filling.
What is the Difference between Coconut Cream and Coconut Milk
Coconut milk has the same consistency as cow’s milk. It is made from simmering water and shredded coconut one to one. Coconut cream is much thicker than coconut milk and is made from simmering 4 parts of shredded coconut to one part water.
How to Toast Coconut
If you do not have toasted coconut on hand but you have unsweetened shredded coconut, you can always toast the coconut yourself. The easiest way to toast the coconut is to toast it in the oven. Spread the coconut in a think layer onto a baking sheet and bake in a 325° oven for 5 minutes. It can take 5 to 10 minutes to toast the coconut. It will toast very fast so be sure to keep an eye on it.
If you are using sweetened coconut, it will toast faster than unsweetened coconut.
Does This Coconut Cream Pie have a Meringue Topping
Instead of putting a meringue topping on this yummy pie, I like using a Cool Whip or Whipped Cream topping. I like that this topping is easier, light and fluffy, and not as sweet as a typical meringue.
Does This Pie to be Refrigerated
Yes, the pie will need to be refrigerated. The custard pie filling should not be left out at room temperature for more than two hours. It can cause bacteria to grow and will spoil the pie.
How Long Does The Best Cream Pie Recipe Last
Stored in the refrigerator it will last for about a week. After about 3 days the Cool Whip or Whipped cream might start to break down and get a bit runny.
Ingredients Needed To Make Coconut Cream Pie
- Egg yolks
- Can of Coconut Cream
- Toasted coconut
- Whipped cream or cool whip
- Pie shell
How To Make Coconut Cream Pie
Start out by combining sugar, egg yolks, cornstarch, milk and coconut cream over medium heat in a medium saucepan.
Stir frequently for approximately 10 minutes until custard has thickened (stirring vigorously helps the eggs to smooth out while cooking so they will not scramble).
Remove from heat and add butter. Whisk until smooth then fold in toasted coconut.
Cover with plastic wrap directly on top of the custard and let cool for 30 minutes. Next, pour mixture from the saucepan into the prepared pie crust. Again, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator until completely cooled.
Once the pie has cooled completely, top generously with cool whip or whipped cream. Finally, sprinkle additional toasted coconut on top of cool whip.
Slice, serve and enjoy.
Try This Delicious Pie Recipe Today
Here are a few more delicious pies that can be found on the blog:
- Cream Cheese Lemonade Pie
- Orange Cream Cheese Pie
- Fresh Pear Pie
- And these delicious Blackberry Hand Pies, plus more. Make sure to head on over to the blog to see all of our delicious recipes.
Coconut Cream Pie
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 cup toasted coconut, plus additional for topping
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups whipped cream (can use cool whip)
- Pie crust, cook pie crust prior to filling, cool completely before filling.
- Combine sugar, egg yolks, cornstarch, milk and coconut cream over medium heat in a medium saucepan.
- Stir frequently for approximately 10 minutes until custard has thickened (stirring vigorously helps eggs to smooth out while cooking). Also, use caution when stirring. The custard gets thick and when boiling, can splatter.
- Remove from heat. Add butter and whisk until smooth. Fold in toasted coconut.
- Cover with plastic wrap directly on top of custard and let cool for 30 minutes then pour mixture from saucepan into prepared pie crust. Again, place plastic wrap directly on top of the custard and refrigerate until completely cooled.
- Once cooled, top generously with whipped cream, or cool whip, and sprinkle additional toasted coconut on top, if desired.
- Slice, serve and enjoy.
Here are a few pics that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest.
Copyright © Great Grub, Delicious Treats. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words and only list ingredients making sure to link back to this post for the original recipe and directions.
What brand of coconut cream do you use?
Great Grub, Delicious Treats
Hi Judy, “A Taste of Thai Coconut Milk.” I hope you enjoy this pie.