These delicious chopped Italian sandwiches are a flavor adventure and a taste sensation you will absolutely enjoy. They are packed with chopped ham, pepperoni, salami, provolone cheese, and a succulent lettuce mixture that screams flavor, all nestled in hoagie rolls.
I love Italian flavors almost as much as I love Mexican and Tex-Mex, which is why this delicious sandwich is one of my favorite things to make for a tasty lunch, dinner, or potluck addition. I’ve been making this sandwich for a while now, and it’s become one of my favorites for almost any occasion. Three kinds of Italian cold cuts, provolone cheese, and a creamy Italian dressing-infused lettuce mix piled high on a soft hoagie? Oh, man, we’re talking major flavor! AND it’s super easy to make which is always a big plus for me.
Chopped Italian Sandwich
This delicious sandwich starts with a creamy lettuce mixture made with lettuce, onions, banana peppers, dill relish, mayo, and Italian dressing. Then, I cook salami, pepperoni, and ham until they’re heated through and pile the mixture along with provolone cheese and the lettuce mixture onto soft hoagie rolls. That’s all there is to it. It only takes a few minutes, and when it’s all done, I have delicious sandwiches that always have everyone coming back for more!
Why You’ll Love This Chopped Italian Sandwich Recipe
- They are so delicious and full of flavor and are a family favorite sub recipe.
- These sandwiches are packed with a variety of textures from the toasted hoagie rolls, three different types of meat, sliced provolone cheese, and a flavorful lettuce mixture, which creates the ultimate Italian sandwich.
- It is easy to make and a bit messy, and it’s a delicious sub sandwich recipe the whole family will enjoy.
Chopped Italian Sandwich Ingredients
This delicious sandwich only uses simple ingredients to deliver all its delicious flavor. You’ll find everything you need in one quick trip to the grocery store without any trouble whatsoever.
- Hoagie rolls or sub rolls
- Provolone cheese
- Hard salami, coarsely chopped
- Pepperoni, coarsely chopped
- Ham, coarsely chopped
- Shredded iceberg lettuce
- Red onion, diced
- Chopped banana peppers
- Dill relish
- Italian dressing
How to Make Chopped Italian Sandwiches
Making these sandwiches is as easy as shopping for the ingredients. Just like your trip to the grocery store, you’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time flat.
Step 1: Make the Lettuce Mixture
Mix the lettuce, red onions, banana peppers, mayonnaise, and Italian dressing in a large mixing bowl. Then, cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to make the sandwiches.
Step 2: Cook the Meat
Cook the chopped ham, pepperoni, and salami in a large skillet over medium heat until heated through.
Step 3: Toast the Rolls
Spread mayo on the inside of both halves of the hoagie rolls, place them on a baking sheet, and toast for 5 minutes at 400 degrees.
Step 4: Make the Sandwiches
Remove the rolls from the oven and top the bottom halves with two slices of provolone cheese. Then, add the meat mixture evenly to each roll and top with the lettuce mixture. Place the top halves of the rolls on the sandwiches and enjoy!
- You only need a thin layer of mayo on the rolls for toasting. Don’t go overboard!
- Be sure to chill your lettuce mixture until ready to use it for freshness and so the flavors can meld.
- Stir the meat constantly while cooking it. You’re only heating it through, not browning it.
- Add the cheese as soon as you remove the rolls so it will melt just a bit.
- Use any of your favorite Italian cold cuts for this recipe.
- For an extra kick of flavor and heat, try adding red pepper flakes to the lettuce mixture.
- For a lettuce mixture with a little less bite, use sweet onions in place of red onions.
- I love hoagie rolls for this recipe, but you can use your favorite variety.
What to Serve with Chopped Italian Sandwiches
These sandwiches are perfect with your favorite sandwich sides like:
- Potato chips
- Potato wedges
- French fries
- Sweet potato fries
- Tater tots
- Pasta salad
Toasting the bread isn’t required, but the flavor and texture is so much better with toasted buns.
A chopped Italian sandwich is full of the smoky, salty flavors of salami, pepperoni, and ham, along with a slightly spicy, creamy lettuce mixture made with onions, lettuce, mayo, and Italian dressing. It’s finished off with melty provolone to gild the lily.
You can use your favorite Italian cold cuts for this chopped Italian sandwich.
You can make the lettuce mixture and the chopped meat mixture up to a day in advance. When ready to make the sandwiches, simply follow the directions, heating the meat in the skillet as directed and continuing on with the recipe.
How to Store Chopped Italian Sandwich Leftovers
Only make as many sandwiches as you and your family or guests will eat at one time. You can store the leftover meat in an airtight container for up to 3 days, and the lettuce mixture will keep for up to 2 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Store the rolls in their original package at room temperature. For the best flavor and texture, NEVER store constructed sandwiches if possible.
Try This Delicious Chopped Italian Sub Sandwich Today
This chopped Italian salad is absolutely overflowing with meaty, cheesy Italian flavor in every bite, and it’s ridiculously easy to make. It’s a combo that makes it a great lunch, dinner, or party food, and you’ll love how quickly it comes together. Give this one a try, and I know you’ll love it as much as I do!
More Delicious Sandwich Recipes You’ll Enjoy
This Brisket Grilled Cheese is a delicious grilled cheese sandwich recipe made with leftover chopped brisket, lots of cheese, and grilled to golden perfection. A hearty sandwich recipe the whole family will enjoy.
Chopped Italian Sandwich
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix lettuce, red onions, relish, banana peppers, mayonnaise, and dressing together until combined. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill.
- In a skillet or frying pan over medium heat, add chopped ham, pepperoni, and salami and cook until heated through.
- Place rolls on a baking sheet. Spread mayo over both sides of the rolls and place in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top the bottom roll with two slices of provolone cheese.
- Next, add meat mixture on top of the cheese, and spread out evenly.
- Spread the lettuce mixture over the meat, replace the top rolls, and enjoy!
Follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media. Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest.