This delicious grilled chicken tostada recipe uses leftover grilled chicken, refried beans, shredded cheese, peppers, and onions on crispy tostada shells to make a delicious lunch, dinner, or appetizer.
I love making tostadas. They’re delicious, they’re easy, and they’re just plain fun. This crispy bites are the perfect size for serving as lunches, dinners, an addition to your Taco Tuesday spread, or appetizers. I’ve been making them for years in various forms, but my favorite iteration so far is this recipe for tostadas with grilled chicken. They’re loaded with flavor, and everyone loves the flavors combined with the grilled chicken. I often serve these when family and friends come over to visit. I love them because I can make a huge batch for lunch or dinner or just have a few on hand for snacking if they won’t be at the house for very long.
Grilled Chicken Tostada Recipe
These tostadas are so delicious and easy to make. It starts with leftover grilled chicken, which cuts down on the work immediately. Then, we add it to crispy tostada shells and add refried beans, cheese, veggies, and heat with diced jalapenos and green chilies. It’s a dish that is overflowing with delicious Mexican flavors in every bite. They’re a must for any lover of Mexican food.
Why You’ll Love This Chicken Tostada Recipe
- It’s super easy to make and everyone always loves it.
- It’s an excellent way to use up your leftover grilled chicken.
- It uses simple ingredients that are readily available at any grocery store.
Chicken Tostada Recipe Tips and Variations
I have some tips and variations here that will help you make this recipe even easier and more delicious. Give them a look!
- Make this recipe even easier by using rotisserie chicken from the store.
- Always wear gloves and wash your hands when working with hot peppers. NEVER touch your face!
- Add toppings like fresh cilantro, salsa, sour cream, sliced onions, fresh lime juice, diced avocado, and different cheeses like Monterey jack cheese or cotija cheese.
- Use black beans in place of refried beans.
- You can use leftover meat like ground beef or pork, as well.
Grilled Chicken Tostadas FAQ
If you have questions about this recipe, then read on. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about tostadas.
What are tostadas?
Tostada is a name given to various Mexican and Latin American dishes made with a toasted tortilla as the main base. They’re usually flat or bowl-shaped.
What’s the difference between a taco and a tostada?
Both tacos and tostadas are basically the same when it comes to what is put in them. The big difference is that tostadas are always served open-faced rather than folded up.
What do you eat on a tostada?
Tostadas are a bit like tacos in that you can add any of your favorite Mexican toppings to them. Some favorites include:
- Sour cream
- Pico de Gallo
What kind of chicken do you use for chicken tostadas?
You can use grilled or shredded chicken. Rotisserie chicken works well.
How to Store and Reheat this Chicken Tostada Recipe
If you used leftover grilled chicken, store the tostada mixture for 1 to 2 days in the refrigerator in an air-tight container. If you made fresh chicken, you can store the mixture for up to 3 days. The refried beans will last just as long.
To reheat, microwave the chicken mixture and refried beans at 1-minute intervals respectively until hot.
Grilled Chicken Tostada Recipe Ingredients
This recipe uses simple ingredients that you’ll easily find at your local grocery store.
- Leftover grilled chicken
- Refried beans
- Pepper Jack cheese
- Medium onion
- Red bell pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Diced green chilies
- Tostada shells
How to Make Chicken Tostadas
Making this recipe is exceptionally easy. It only takes a few minutes and a few steps.
Step 1: Cook the Vegetables
Heat oil in a large skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Then, add the onions, bell pepper, and jalapenos and cook until tender. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Step 2: Heat the Chicken and Chilies
Add the leftover grilled chicken and diced green chilies to the same pan and cook over medium heat for 5 – 7 minutes until heated through.
Step 3: Heat the Refried Beans
Heat the refried beans in a small pot over medium heat.
Step 4: Construct the Tostadas
Spread a thin layer of refried beans onto each tostada. Then, sprinkle with cheese, and top with the chicken, onions, and peppers. Top with your favorite additional toppings and enjoy!
Try This Delicious Grilled Chicken Tostada Recipe Today
This grilled chicken tostada recipe is so full of flavor, but it’s incredibly simple to make. Using leftover grilled chicken or store bought rotisserie chicken, this recipe comes together quickly with just a few minutes of heating and cooking the veggies and beans. You’ll be in an out of the kitchen in less than 30 minutes, and you’ll have tostadas that everyone always loves. Give it a try, and I know you’ll love it as much as I and my family do.
Here Are A Few More Delicious Chicken Recipes To Try
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas – A quick and easy way to make fajitas right in the oven.
Spicy Chicken Flautas – Delicious, slow cooker chicken that is made with jalapenos, green enchilada sauce, seasonings, all wrapped in a flour tortilla with cheese, and baked until golden brown.
Cheesy Chicken Quesadillas – Flour tortillas filled with chicken and cheese and make a great appetizer, quick lunch, or tasty dinner.
Also, try these Baked Chicken Tacos from Deliciously Seasoned. These tacos are loaded with seasoned chicken, cheese, and then baked to a golden perfection.
Chicken Tostada Recipe with Grilled Chicken
- 3 cups grilled chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
- 15 ounce can refried beans
- 8 ounce block Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, diced
- 1 jalapeno, stem and seeds removed, diced
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 4 ounce can diced green chilies
- 6 tostada shells
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, bell pepper and jalapeno, stir and cook until tender.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add chicken and diced green chilies to the same pan and heat over medium heat.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes or until heated through.
- Heat refried beans in a small pot over medium heat.
- Spread a thin layer of beans onto each tostada.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese, then top with chicken and then onions and peppers.
- Top with additional desired topping and enjoy.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite cookie or dessert board on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.