These deep-fried crispy chicken bites with ham and Swiss cheese are a delicious and easy-to-make appetizer or meal that everyone will enjoy. The combination of crispy chicken, ham, and Swiss cheese is a classic for a reason, and the flavor profile is one that is familiar and comforting.
If you love tasty appetizer treats, then you’re going to be extremely happy when you make this recipe. These delicious chicken bites are basically chicken cordon bleu in appetizer form, and they’re absolutely full of so much flavor! I love making them for snacks, appetizers, or even as a fun main course for dinner. They are extremely crunchy, flavorful, and a family favorite chicken recipe. I hope your family enjoys as much as ours does.
These bites start with 2-inch chunks of chicken that I batter and then deep fry to perfection. Then, I top them with Swiss cheese, ham, and more cheese and bake them until the cheese is melted. The entire process only takes about 30 minutes, and when it’s done, I have little bite-sized pieces of crispy fried chicken, ham, and cheese Heaven. And they’re even better when served alongside my super creamy mayonnaise mustard dip.
Why You’ll Love This Chicken Bites Recipe
- They’re delicious and the combination of crispy fried chicken with ham and Swiss is simply irresistible.
- It’s a quick and easy recipe that uses simple ingredients that are easily found at the local grocery store.
- They are a great appetizer, snack, or main course, and they’re also perfect for parties and potlucks.
Chicken Bites Ingredients
This recipe uses simple ingredients to make all its great flavor. You’ll find everything you need in your kitchen and a quick trip to the grocery store!
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Sliced ham
- Swiss cheese
- All purpose flour
- Large egg
- Panko breadcrumbs (crush down a bit)
- Slap Ya Mama® seasoning
- Garlic salt or garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Vegetable oil
- Yellow mustard or Dijon mustard
Full recipe and actual measurements are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to Make Chicken Bites
Making these bites is an easy process. It only takes a little prep, a little frying, and a little baking. The entire thing takes about half an hour give or take, and you’ll be all done.
Step 1: Prep
Place the chicken breasts between two sheets of parchment paper and pound with a mallet or rolling pin to uniform thickness. Then, cut them into 2-inch pieces.
Step 2: Make the Dredging Station
Add flour to a shallow bowl. To a second shallow bowl, add whisked buttermilk and egg. Finally, add the breadcrumbs and seasonings to a third bowl.
Step 3: Coat the Chicken
Pat each piece of chicken dry and dip it into the flour, then the buttermilk, and finally, the breadcrumbs.
Step 4: Fry the Chicken
Fry 5 to 6 pieces of chicken at a time in hot oil over medium heat. When done, place them on a plate lined with paper towels and repeat until all chicken bites are done.
Step 5: Top with Ham and Cheese
Place a slice of Swiss cheese on each piece of chicken. Then, top with a slice of ham and another slice of Swiss cheese.
Step 6: Bake
Bake at 350 until the cheese is melted – about 5 minutes. Remove the chicken bites from the oven when done.
Step 7: Make the Mustard Sauce
Combine the mayonnaise and mustard in a small bowl. Serve with the chicken bites and enjoy!
- It’s important to pat the chicken dry before dredging it so the coating sticks.
- Give a gentle tap in between dipping for the perfect coating.
- Work in small batches when frying the chicken so the oil stays hot.
- You can use pork or turkey for these bites, as well.
- Use your favorite cheese and lunchmeat for different flavors.
- If you prefer a mild dish, omit the red pepper flakes.
What to Serve with Crispy Chicken Bites
These bites are delicious as part of a larger appetizer spread with all of your favorite finger foods. In addition, they’re delicious with sides like:
- French fries
- Sweet potato fries
- Potato wedges
- Mac and cheese
- Green Beans
- Baked beans
- Potato chips
- Side salad
- Tater tots
Pound the chicken to a uniform thickness, then cut them into 2-inch chunks.
Vegetable, peanut, and canola oils are the best oils for frying.
The best way to know if your chicken bites are thoroughly cooked is to insert a meat thermometer into the center of the bite. If it registers 165 degrees, it’s done!
Coat the chicken bites per the directions, then, air fry them at 380 degrees for 8 to 12 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through cooking.
Chicken bites are delicious with a variety of sauces including:
How to Store, Reheat, and Freeze Leftover Crispy Fried Chicken Bites
Refrigerate these bites in an airtight container for up to 3 days. For longer storage, freeze them for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
To reheat chicken bites, place them on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake them for about 10 minutes at 350, flipping halfway through cooking.
Try This Delicious Chicken Bites with Ham and Swiss Recipe Today
Crispy fried chicken bites layered with ham and Swiss cheese and then baked until melty? If that doesn’t make you hungry, then nothing will! These delicious chicken bites are an explosion of flavor in every bite, and they’re so easy to make, you’ll want to whip them up again and again. You’ll have to because your family and friends won’t leave you alone once they’ve tried them!
More Delicious Chicken Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Here is a delicious Cheesy Chicken Quesadilla recipe that is always a favorite, quick and easy recipe, loaded with tender, juicy chicken, two types of cheese, diced green chiles, and seasoned perfectly. An easy weeknight dinner the whole family will enjoy.
Chicken Bites with Ham and Cheese
For the Chicken
- 3 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless (pound down a bit)
- 3 slices ham, cut about the same size as the chicken
- 6 slices Swiss cheese, cut about the same size as the chicken
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1-2 cups Panko breadcrumbs, crush down a bit
- 2 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama® seasoning
- 2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons butter
For the Dipping Sauce
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard or Dijon mustard
For the Chicken
- Pound the chicken breasts evenly across the surface, so that it is all the same thickness. Use plastic wrap or parchment paper and place the chicken in between so the chicken won’t stick to the mallet or rolling pin.
- Cut chicken into 2-inch chunks.
- Heat oil and butter in a cast iron skillet, or in a frying pan, over medium heat.
- Using 3 separate bowls, or shallow containers, add flour to one bowl, buttermilk and egg mixture in the second bow, and bread crumbs and seasonings to the third bowl.
- Pat dry each piece of chicken and dip into flour, then into buttermilk mixture and lastly, into the breadcrumb mixture.
- Add 5-6 pieces of chicken at a time into the hot skillet.
- Fry for approximately 5-6 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Remove and place on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Repeat the process and continue cooking the remaining pieces of chicken.
- Place cooked chicken on a baking sheet.
- Top each piece of chicken with a slice of Swiss cheese.
- Next, top with a slice of ham and then followed by another slice of Swiss cheese.
- Bake at 350° until the cheese has melted, approximately 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove from the oven.
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise and yellow mustard together. Enjoy!
Follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media. Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest.