If you love McDonald’s signature Chicken Nuggets, then you’ll love these homemade chicken nuggets that you can make at home. With just a couple simple ingredients, you’ll have tender, juicy, crispy chicken nuggets in no time.
This fantastic chicken nugget recipe with tender, juicy, white meat chicken on the inside and a crispy, perfectly fried beer batter coating on the outside. Oh, it’s so good. I started making these several years ago because the kids always asked for McDonald’s chicken nuggets. I love putting my own spin on things, so I made this recipe. It was a total winner. The kids love them, the grandkids love them, and the leftovers are gone in a flash.
Homemade Chicken Nuggets
These nuggets start with boneless, skinless chicken breasts that I grind into find pieces for that classic nugget texture. Then, I make a homemade beer batter loaded with pepper, garlic salt, paprika, and a zesty kick from Cajun seasoning. I coat the breasts and fry them to golden brown perfection. When it’s all done, I have a McDonald’s-inspired chicken nugget recipe that’s above and beyond anything you’d get at the fast-food chain.
Why You’ll Love This Homemade Chicken Nugget Recipe
- They are delicious and the combination of a double crispy coating and juicy chicken is simply irresistible.
- They’re easy to make with just a few simple ingredients that are easily found at the grocery store.
- They’re healthier than store-bought nuggets and are made with fresh ingredients.
Homemade Chicken Nuggets Ingredients
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this recipe. They’re all basic and easily found at your local grocery store.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts are a good source of protein and are relatively inexpensive. They are also easy to cut into small pieces, which is what you need for chicken nuggets.
- Eggs help to bind the ingredients together and give the chicken nuggets a crispy coating.
- Garlic salt adds flavor to the chicken nuggets.
- Slap Ya Mama seasoning is a Louisiana-style seasoning that adds a lot of flavor to the chicken nuggets.
- Onion powder adds flavor and aroma to the chicken nuggets.
- Paprika adds color and flavor to the chicken nuggets.
- Black pepper adds flavor to the chicken nuggets.
- Tempura is a type of batter that is made with flour, eggs, and water. It helps to create a crispy coating on the chicken nuggets.
- Beer helps to make the tempura batter light and airy.
- Vegetable oil is a good choice for frying chicken nuggets because it has a high smoke point. This means that it can be heated to a high temperature without burning.
How to Make Homemade Chicken Nuggets
Making these nuggets only takes a few simple steps. The entire recipe only takes about 45 minutes to make, and 20 to 30 minutes of that is simply waiting. Easy peasy!
Step 1: Make the Nugget Meat
Finely grind the chicken breasts in a food processor. Then, mix the chicken, egg, and seasonings in a large bowl until combined.
Step 2: Freeze
Flash freeze the nuggets for 20 to 30 minutes.
Step 3: Make the Beer Batter
Whisk the dry batter ingredients together in a medium bowl. Then, slowly add the beer and stir until smooth.
Step 4: Coat and Fry
Dip each chicken nugget into the batter and let the excess drip off. Then, gently add a few at a time to a deep skillet or pot with hot oil (350 degrees). Fry for 4 to 5 minutes until golden brown. Place the fried nuggets on a plate lined with paper towels.
Step 5: Fry Again
When all the nuggets are fried, add a few at a time back to the oil and cook for another couple of minutes to finish the cooking process and make an extra crispy coating. Enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce!
- Always freeze your nuggets before frying. This ensures that they retain their shape and makes for a crispier nugget.
- Don’t neglect the second fry. This delivers the crispiest possible coating.
- Let the excess batter drip off your nuggets before frying for an even coating and less mess in the skillet.
- You can make pork nuggets with ground pork.
- For a milder version, omit the Slap Ya Mama seasoning.
- For a spicier version, add a bit of cayenne pepper.
What to Serve with Homemade Chicken Nuggets
These nuggets are perfect with all your favorite classic sides. Serve them with:
- French fries
- Tater tots
- Potato wedges
- Sweet potato fries
- Mac and cheese
- Macaroni salad
- Baked beans
Chicken nuggets are made of seasoned chicken – usually white meat – that is either cut into pieces or minced. Then, they’re coated in a batter of some kind and fried.
Chicken nuggets are made of real chicken, although the quality of that chicken is variable. Some nuggets are made with pure white meat chicken, while others have a combination of white and dark meat. Some bargain basement nuggets can even contain ground up bones, tendons, and connective tissue.
White meat is the best kind of chicken to use for chicken nuggets. They make tender nuggets that aren’t fatty.
Homemade chicken nuggets that use ground chicken are held together with the addition of egg and by freezing them so they retain their shape while being fried. Nuggets made with whole chicken have no need for binders because they are chunks of pure white meat.
Homemade chicken nuggets will keep for about a month in the freezer.
How to Store and Reheat Homemade Chicken Nuggets
Store these nuggets in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an airtight container. For longer storage, you can freeze them for up to a month in an airtight, freezer-safe container or heavy-duty freezer bag.
To reheat the nuggets, bake them on a baking sheet for 10 minutes at 350 degrees. To reheat the nuggets from frozen, place them on a baking sheet and cook for 10 to 12 minutes at 400 degrees.
Try This Delicious Homemade Chicken Nugget Recipe Today
These homemade chicken nuggets are the best you’ll ever make. They are made with 100% white meat chicken that is finely ground for that classic chicken nugget texture and coated in a flavorful beer batter before being fried to golden brown perfection. They’re everything we love about nuggets and then some. Give them a try today.
More Delicious Chicken Appetizer Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Buffalo Chicken Nuggets – Rich in flavor, these nuggets are seasoned perfectly and are juicy on the inside and fried to crispy perfection.
Spicy Chicken Nuggets – A Chico-fil-A copycat recipe made with tender, juicy chicken on the inside with a crispy, crunchy coating on the outside.
Freakin’ Hot Chicken Nuggets – Each nugget is coated in incredibly hot crushed corn tortilla chips and are super delicious for those who love spicy food.
And, here are some Barbecue Chicken Nuggets, from Deliciously Seasoned, that you will enjoy too!
Homemade Chicken Nuggets
For the Chicken Filling
For the Chicken Filling
- Using a food processor, finely ground/mince chicken and place in a large bowl.
- Add egg and seasonings. Mix until combined.
- Form into nugget size pieces and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Flash freeze nuggets for 20-30 minutes.
For the Beer Batter
- In a medium bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together then slowly add the beer, stirring until smooth.
- Dip each chicken nugget into the batter and gently add a few at a time into the hot oil.
- Cook until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes, depending on how hot your oil is.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
- Continue cooking until all the chicken and batter is used.
- Now, add a few pieces at a time back into the hot oil and cook for another couple minutes for a double crispy deep fried treat.
- Enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.