This banana ice cream cake is absolutely delicious. Banana nut ice cream sandwiched between two layers of homemade banana cake, topped with hot fudge, whipped cream, and banana slices with a cherry on top. The ultimate banana cake recipe.
Ice cream cake is a favorite here at my home. When my kids were young, they always asked for it on their birthdays. Even now that they’re grown, they still ask for it when their birthday celebration draws near. I’ve bought these cakes from both Baskin Robins and Dairy Queen, and while they’ve always been a hit, there’s nothing like homemade. That’s why I started making my own ice cream cakes a few years ago. They’re actually very easy, and they taste so much better. Those other cakes sit in the freezer for who knows how long, and when you eat a really fresh ice cream cake, you can taste the difference.
I love to make this delicious cake for birthdays, parties, and pretty much any get-together that gives me an excuse. It looks fancy enough for a restaurant, but it’s so simple that I’m in and out of the kitchen quickly. That’s the perfect combo for me. I may love to cook, but I don’t want to live in the kitchen!
Banana Ice Cream Cake
This delicious cake is so decadent, but it’s also so easy. I make a simple, homemade banana cake to start. Then, I slice it in half and sandwich banana nut ice cream between the cake layers to create the ice cream cake base. Then, I simply drizzle hot fudge sauce over the cake when it’s time to serve. Of course, I really make it pop with more banana slices, whipped cream, and a cherry on top. That’s all there is to it. It’s an incredibly simple recipe, but it’s oh, so good. I never have leftovers when I bring it to any gathering!
Why You’ll Love This Banana Ice Cream Cake Recipe
- It’s loaded with the delicious flavors of banana cake and banana ice cream in every bite.
- It’s the perfect banana dessert recipe for a hot summer day.
- Everyone will enjoy cake and ice cream sandwiched together in one dessert and topped with hot fudge, whipped cream, banana slices, and a cherry.
Banana Ice Cream Cake Tips and Variations
This recipe is incredibly easy, but I have a couple of important tips to ensure you make it as delicious as possible. I also have some great variations for you to try.
- Let your cake cool completely before adding the ice cream slices so they don’t melt.
- Keep your ice cream in the freezer until just before you slice it to ensure it’s as solid as possible and easier to slice.
- Just like banana bread, you want to use the ripest bananas possible to achieve the greatest banana flavor. The peels should be full of brown spots or almost brown.
- Try mixing walnut pieces into your cake batter.
- Use your favorite cake flavor for this recipe.
- Use your favorite ice cream flavor in place of banana ice cream.
- Mix and match your ice cream and cake for all kinds of flavor combinations.
Banana Ice Cream Cake FAQ
If you have questions about this recipe, then I have the answers. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about banana ice cream cake.
What is ice cream cake?
It is a cake with ice cream as the filling for a swiss roll or layer cake. It can also simply be layers of different flavored ice cream in a loaf pan.
Who invented ice cream cake?
The first ancestor of ice cream cake was created during the Victorian era. During that time, ice cream trifles were molded into all kinds of different shapes. To keep the ice cream in place, the molds were lined with a sponge biscuit. This was the first iteration of ice cream cake. Over the years, the recipe changed and evolved into what we now know as the modern ice cream cake.
Is banana cake freezable?
Yes, it is. In fact, it’s the only way to store it because of the ice cream layer.
What flavor of ice cream goes well with banana cake?
Any ice cream with a flavor that pairs well with banana will pair well with banana cake. Think of things like:
- Banana ice cream
- Chocolate ice cream
- Vanilla ice cream
- Pineapple ice cream
- Rocky road
How long will banana ice cream cake last in the freezer?
You can store it in the freezer for up to 7 days.
How to Store Banana Ice Cream Cake
Wrap the cake in a double layer of plastic wrap and then a layer of foil. Store it in the freezer for up to 7 days.
Banana Ice Cream Cake Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make this delicious frozen cake. You’ll find them all easily at your local grocery store.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Large eggs
- Sour cream
- Vanilla extract
- Bananas, mashed
- Banana nut ice cream
- Jar Hershey’s® hot fudge topping
- Whipped cream
- Maraschino cherries
(Actual measurements are in the recipe card below.)
How to Make Banana Ice Cream Cake
Even though this recipe features a homemade banana cake, it’s still incredibly easy to make. The cake recipe is basic, and constructing the ice cream cake is incredibly easy.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 9×13 baking dish with foil with the edges hanging over. Spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
Step 2: Combine the Wet Batter Ingredients
Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy in a large bowl. Then, add the eggs, sour cream, and vanilla and beat until combined.
Step 3: Add the Remaining Ingredients
Add the flour, baking soda, and salt and beat until just combined. Then, add the mashed bananas and mix until combined.
Step 4: Bake
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely.
Step 5: Slice the Cake
Carefully remove the cooled cake from the baking dish by grabbing both sides of the foil and gently lifting the cake out of the dish. Place it on a hare surface and slice lengthwise into 2 equal halves.
Step 6: Construct the Ice Cream Cake
Place the foil back into the baking dish and add the bottom half of the completely cooled cake. Then, remove the ice cream from the freezer, remove the cardboard container, and cut the ice cream into slices. Layer the slices over the bottom cake half, ensuring that they cover it entirely. Then, ad the top layer of cake, cover with plastic wrap, and place back in the freezer until ready to serve.
Step 7: Serve
Remove the cake from the freezer and cut into your desired pieces. Serve each piece topped with warm hot fudge, whipped cream, and a cherry. Enjoy!
Try This Delicious Banana Ice Cream Cake Today
This cake is so delicious, so easy to make, and such a crowd pleaser. Trust me, you need this in your life. This easy cake recipe comes together quickly, and constructing the cake is a snap. With a combo like that, there’s no reason not to try it. Make this delicious ice cream cake just once, and I can guarantee that it will be part of your recipe rotation for years to come.
More Delicious Cake Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Strawberry Shortcake – A light and refreshing cake that is perfect for summertime. A moist white cake layered and topped with homemade whipped cream and fresh strawberries.
Funfetti Cake – A delicious homemade white cake, with flavors of vanilla and cherry, and iced with a homemade cream cheese frosting. It’s the perfect cake to make for birthday parties.
Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting – A moist, rich, flavorful, and dense two layer banana cake made with fresh bananas, and a homemade cream cheese frosting.
And, try this Chocolate Mint Fudge Cake from Deliciously Seasoned. A decadent and rich chocolate cake, layered with mint chocolate ice cream, and topped with hot fudge. It’s a delicious chocolaty dessert that is perfect for dessert, birthday parties, or any other occasion.
Banana Ice Cream Cake with Hot Fudge
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 medium bananas, mashed
- 2 ½ gallons banana nut ice cream (or your favorite), cut into inch thick slices
- 12.8 ounce jar Hershey’s® hot fudge topping
- Whipped cream
- Maraschino cherries, stems attached
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a 9×13 baking dish with foil with the edges hanging over. Spray with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, sour cream and vanilla, and beat until combined.
- Next, add flour, baking soda and salt and beat until just combined.
- Stir mashed bananas into cake mixture and mix until combined.
- Pour cake batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Carefully grab both sides of the foil and gently pick up the cake out of the baking dish and place on a hard surface.
- Slice the cake equally in half lengthwise.
- Carefully remove the top layer and then place foil and bottom cake layer back into the baking dish.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, remove ice cream from the freezer, remove cardboard from ice cream and add sliced ice cream to the top of the bottom cake layer.
- Make sure the ice cream covers the whole bottom layer.
- Carefully add the top layer of cake on top of the ice cream.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer until ready to serve.
- Remove cake from the freeze and cut into desired size pieces.
- Pour warm hot fudge sauce over each piece of cake and top with whipped cream and a cherry.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.