This apple puff pastry braid recipe is made with sweet, tart apples, a sweet cream cheese filling, wrapped up in a flaky braided puff pastry, and baked to golden brown.
I love pastries. They’re definitely my guilty pleasure. Honestly, if I could eat them forever, I would. I almost always pick up some kind of pastry product to keep on hand for snacking when I go to the store. However, there are times when I just want something piping hot and fresh from the oven. That’s why I love making this pastry so much. It uses actual puff pastry dough, a sweet fruit filling, and a sweet and tangy cream cheese filling. It’s everything we love about pastries!
Apple Puff Pastry
This delicious dessert starts with puff pastry sheets. I fill them with a sweet apple filling and a sweet and tangy cream cheese filling. Then, I braid strips of puff pastry over the top and bake the pastries to golden brown perfection. When I’m all done, I have a delicious, golden, flaky puff pastry loaded with all the delicious fruit and cream cheese flavors we love in classic pastry recipes. The best part is that while these look fancy, they’re actually super easy to make!
Why You’ll Love This Apple Puff Pastry Recipe
- It’s absolutely delicious with the flavor combination of the flaky puff pastry, the apples and the sweet cream cheese filling is simply irresistible.
- It is relatively easy to make with a few simple steps and straightforward instructions.
- It’s versatile and can be made with all sorts of different summer berries, and peaches and tailored to your family’s likes.
- It is the perfect dessert recipe for any occasion, such as a special occasion or a weeknight after-dinner treat, this dessert is sure to please everyone.
Apple Puff Pastry Ingredients
You’ll only need a few basic ingredients to make every part of this recipe. Both fillings are made with simple ingredients, and they can all be found at your grocery store.
- Granny Smith apples are a great choice for the homemade apple filling because they are tart and hold their shape well when cooked.
- Cinnamon enhances the flavor of the apples.
- Water, along with sugar and cornstarch, helps to thicken the apple filling and helps give the filling it’s creamy texture..
- Sugar helps sweeten the apple filling.
- Cornstarch helps thicken up the filling.
- Cream cheese is a classic ingredient in many dessert recipes because it adds rich and creamy flavor.
- Egg yolk adds richness to the cream cheese filling.
- Lemon juice helps the apples from browning and adds a touch of flavor to the cream cheese filling.
- Vanilla extract adds flavor to the filling.
- Large egg is mixed with water and helps give the pastry it’s golden brown crust.
- Store-bought puff pastry sheets are a flaky, buttery pastry that are perfect for braiding and they are easy to work with.
- Coarse sugar adds a bit of crunch and sweetness to the apple pastry.
How to Make Apple Puff Pastry
Making this puff pastry is much easier than you might think by looking at it. It has a lovely look and homemade fillings, but there’s nothing complicated about it!
Step 1: Make the Apple Filling
Combine water, cornstarch, sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan. Then, bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Stir and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until thickened. Then, add the apples, stir, and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool.
Step 2: Make the Cream Cheese Filling
Beat the cream cheese until fluffy in a medium bowl. Then, add the sugar, egg yolk. lemon juice, and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
Step 3: Fill
Unroll the puff pastry a few times until square on a lightly floured surface. Spoon half of the cream cheese mixture down the center of each pastry, leaving about 1 ½ inches of dough at each end. Then, top the cream cheese mixture with three heaping tablespoons of the apple mixture.
Step 4: Cut and Braid
Cut two 1-inch slits at each end of the pastry and fold them over the top of the filling. Then, cut cut off the top and bottom side pieces at an angle (see photo). Continue making cuts into the pastry along each side, being sure not to cut too close to the filling. When the ends are secured, fold the side pieces over each other like a braid and secure.
Step 5: Bake
Brush the pastries with egg wash and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Slice and enjoy.
- Be sure to fully soften your cream cheese to avoid raw pieces of cream cheese in your filling.
- Stir your apple mixture constantly to prevent scorching.
- An electric mixer makes it much easier to make the cream cheese filling.
- The egg wash is key to golden pastry dough. Don’t skip it!
- You can use any of your favorite fruits for the filling.
- For a different, but equally delicious flavor, use crescent dough, instead.
- Try sprinkling chopped nuts over the pastries before baking.
What to Serve with Apple Puff Pastry Braid
Serve this delicious pastry on its own with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee or tea or pair it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It’s also incredibly delicious when dipped in a cream cheese or whipped cream-based dessert dip!
A pastry braid is a variation of pastry in which part of the puff pastry is cut and folded over the filling in a braided fashion.
Yes, you can. Pepperidge Farm puff pastry can be rolled out in the same way as any other puff pastry dough. In addition, it helps to ensure uniform thickness.
The all-time king of baking apples is Granny Smith, but there are several apples that are excellent for baking:
Yes, you can! Roll out your puff pastry to ⅛-inch thickness and follow the instructions for par-baking regular pie dough.
You can freeze this pasty for up to a month.
How to Store Leftover Apple Puff Pastry Braid
Store this puff pastry braid in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. For longer storage, freeze it for up to a month in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
Try This Delicious Apple Puff Pastry Recipe Today
This apple puff pastry braid is full of sweet apple filling and rich cream cheese filling and then baked to golden, flaky perfection. It’s a super easy, classic puff pastry variation that’s so easy even beginners can make it and so good that everyone will devour it. Give it a try and get ready to fall in love!
More Delicious Apple Desserts You’ll Enjoy
This Caramel Apple Cobbler is absolutely delicious and has a brown sugar pecan crust topping that takes this cobbler over the top. Absolutely scrumptious!
Apple Puff Pastry
Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Coarse sugar, for topping.
- 1 box puff pastry sheets
- Preheat oven to 375° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, bring water, cornstarch, sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Continue stirring for 3-4 minutes until the sauce thickens up.
- Once the sauce has thickened, add apples, stir and let simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
Cream Cheese Filling
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add sugar, egg yolk, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Beat until combined.
Cut the Puff Pastry Dough
- Gently open up and roll puff pastry a few times on a lightly floured surface.
- Spoon half of the cream cheese mixture down the center of each puff pastry leaving about 1½ inch free from filling at each end.
- Once the apple mixture has cooled, add about three heaping tablespoons of mixture on top of the cream cheese filling, gently spread, then repeat with the other puff pastry.
- See above photo: cut two slits at each end of the pastry about 1 inch long and fold over the top of the filling and secure to prevent mixture from leaking out.
- Next cut off the top and bottom side pieces at an angle (see above photo) and continue to make cuts into the pastry along each side making sure not to cut too close to the filling.
- Once the ends have been secured, start folding each piece over each other like a braid and secure.
- Mix egg and water together
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Brush egg wash over both pastries.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.