Do you have a family favorite meal that you have been making for ages and ages? Well, this Classic Lasagna recipe is one that I have been making since my son was little. I can remember, as a young mom, heading to the grocery store and usually buying my stuff to make this and another favorite, Farfelle with Sausage, which I posted earlier. I made this at least once a month back then. Being a stay at home mom, I loved to cook and did a lot of it. I was always making different meals and this was one of our favorites.
This classic lasagna is loaded with gobs of cheese, from the mozzarella cheese, to the cottage cheese, to the Parmesan cheese. You can also add more mozzarella cheese if you’d like it even more cheesy!
The last time I made this classic lasagna, which was probably about a month ago, my daughter Halie did not even know this lasagna was made with cottage cheese. When she was helping me, she was surprised when I asked her to get the cottage cheese out of the fridge. She had no clue that I have used this all these years. That’s funny to me because she doesn’t even like cottage cheese, but she loves this classic lasagna!
This classic lasagna recipe came from my sister-in-law Cheryl, way back in the day!
Try this delicious lasagna today!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 15 oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz can water
- 1 12 oz can tomato paste
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- Salt and pepper
- 16 oz mozzarella cheese, grated
- 16 oz cottage cheese, small curd, (or ricotta cheese)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 16 oz box lasagna pasta
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large pan, add olive oil, chopped onions and garlic. Saute until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add ground beef and cook until completely browned, drain fat. Return to pan.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, oregano, basil, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, rinse and set aside (I usually add a tsp of oil to the water so the pasta doesn’t stick to each other).
- In a 14 x 11½ x 2¼ baking dish, or two smaller size baking dishes, put a small amount of meat mixture in the bottom of dish. Spread around.
- Add lasagna noodles (approximately 5-6, and they will overlap onto each other).
- Next, spoon half of the cottage cheese on top of the pasta and spread covering the pasta.
- Spoon meat mixture on top of cottage cheese.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Next add ⅓ of the mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat with another layer of pasta, cottage cheese, meat mixture, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese.
- Final layer is pasta, topped with remaining meat mixture and remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and cook for approximately 1 hour.
- Serve with salad and garlic bread.
Here are a couple pics that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest!
Copyright © Great Grub, Delicious Treats. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words. Also, make sure to link back to this post for the original recipe.