Cheesy Garlic Scalloped Potatoes
Scalloped potatoes are so good and these cheesy garlic scalloped potatoes are even better. Loaded with three different types of cheese, garlic and sour cream, these are definitely some tasty taters! Totally scrumptious.
A great side dish, and with the holidays fast approaching, these cheesy garlic scalloped potatoes are perfect to serve with Thanksgiving dinner, Christimas dinner or with any dinner for that matter.
Full of delicious cheesy flavor, and with the crispy cheese topping, these cheesy garlic scalloped potatoes tastes so good. Even the pickiest eaters will enjoy these.
Imagine sinking your teeth into these soft, creamy, cheesy garlic scalloped potatoes. Yum, yum! Basically, peel and thinly slice the potatoes. In a large frying pan, melt butter and add onions and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes, sprinkle with flour and cook for a few minutes longer. Next, pour broth, along with the seasoning, salt and pepper, and heavy cream into onion mixture. Stir until thickened then remove from heat just prior to boiling. Lastly, stir in 2 cups of cheddar cheese. And that’s the cheese sauce.
Then, start out by adding 1/3 of the potato slices to the bottom of the baking dish, followed by 1/3 of the sour cream, 1/3 of the cheese sauce and then 1/3 of the Parmesan, pepper jack and cheddar cheese. Once the first layer is complete, repeat two more times ending with cheddar cheese. Cover with foil, pop in the oven and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. About 15 minutes before removing from oven, remove the foil and crisp up the cheese a bit. That’s it! Time to enjoy these tasty scalloped potatoes.
Want a few more cheesy side dishes? My cheesy baked potato casserole, cheesy potato casserole bake, spicy cheesy corn tortilla bake, and broccoli cheddar tater tot casserole are just a few delicious cheesy meals on the blog that you are sure to enjoy.
Try this cheesy garlic scalloped potatoes today
- 5 lbs Russet potatoes, sliced ⅛" thick
- 2 cups onions, chopped small
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup butter (½ stick)
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 Tbs salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp Slap Ya Mama® seasoning
- 8 oz sour cream
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, grated, divided
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese, grated
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400° and spray a 14 x 11½ x 2¼ baking dish with a non stick spray. Set aside.
- Peel and thinly slice potatoes, approximately ⅛" thick. Place in a large bowl until ready to use.
- In a large frying pan, melt butter over low flame then add onions and garlic. Saute for about 4-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over onion mixture, stir and cook for a couple minutes.
- Gently pour vegetable broth into pan and stir, add salt and pepper, seasoning and heavy cream. Stir until thickened, remove from heat just prior to boiling and then add 2 cups of cheddar cheese. Stir.
- Layer ⅓ of the potato slices in baking dish then add ⅓ of the sour cream and ⅓ of the cheese sauce over the potatoes.
- Top with ⅓ of the Parmesan, ⅓ pepper jack cheese and ⅓ of cheddar cheese.
- Repeat layering 2 more times ending with cheddar cheese.
- Cover with foil and place in oven. Cook for 1½ - 2 hours.
- About 15 - 20 minutes prior to potatoes being done, remove foil to brown the cheese a bit.
- Remove from oven and enjoy.
Recipe adapted from Gimme Some Oven.
Here are a few pics that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest.
Copyright © Great Grub, Delicious Treats. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words and only list ingredients making sure to link back to this post for the original recipe and directions.