Texas Roadhouse Rattlesnake Bites is a delicious and popular copycat recipe that is perfect for any occasion. These bites are made with pepper jack cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, diced jalapenos, and covered with the perfect seasoned breading. They are then fried to crispy, golden perfection and are great served with your favorite dipping sauce.
I love Texas Roadhouse. The food, the vibe – everything about it is great. One thing I really love is their Rattlesnake Bites. They are so good! All that cheese, softened jalapenos, and zesty seasonings coated in breadcrumbs and fried? Oh, it’s ooey, gooey, spicy Heaven. I order those tasty little bites every time we go, but as a cook, I decided there was no reason to wait. I’d just make my own. That’s exactly what I did, and they are absolutely delicious.
Texas Roadhouse Rattlesnake Bites
These delicious fried appetizers are one of the best things you’ll ever eat in your life. In. Your. Life. They start with a mixture of pepper jack cheese, sharp cheddar, and softened jalapenos that I roll into little balls and flash freeze. Then, I coat them in a three-layer breading mixture of flour, buttermilk, and seasoned breadcrumbs and fry them until they’re golden and crispy on the outside and super gooey on the inside. When I’m all done, I have cheesy, spicy, fried little bites of spicy Heaven that has everyone coming back for more again and again!
Why You’ll Love This Texas Roadhouse Rattlesnake Bite Recipe
- They are crispy and golden brown on the outside and gooey on the inside. The crispy coating gives way to a cheesy melted center of two types of cheese and diced jalapenos.
- The flavor of these rattlesnake bites is simply irresistible, and they are super easy to make with a simple and straightforward recipe.
- The flavors are perfectly balanced with the seasoned breading, the combination of cheese and jalapenos, which provide a kick of heat that is sure to leave you wanting more.
- They are a delicious appetizer.
Texas Roadhouse Rattlesnake Bites Ingredients
This recipe uses a few ingredients, but they’re all simple ones that you can find at your local grocery store in no time flat!
- Pepper jack cheese or Monterey jack cheese
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- All purpose flour
- Large egg
- Slap ya mama
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Vegetable oil
Actual measurements are in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. Click the “Jump to Recipe” at the top of the post and it will take you right to the recipe.
How to Make Texas Roadhouse Rattlesnake Bites
Making this recipe is so much easier than you might think. The filling and the coating are both incredibly simple to make. Even beginners will have no issues with this one.
Step 1: Make the Dredging Station
Add flour to a small container. Then, add the buttermilk and egg to a second bowl or container. Finally combine the bread crumbs and seasonings in a third shallow bowl or container.
Step 2: Make the Filling
Combine both cheeses and the softened jalapenos in a large bowl.
Step 3: Freeze
Roll the filling into small balls and place them on a small cookie sheet. Flash freeze the balls for 30 to 45 minutes.
Step 4: Dredge
Roll each ball into the flour, then the egg mixture, and the bread crumb mixture. Now, put each ball back into the egg mixture and finally the breadcrumb mixture, They are double coated for the most delicious and crunchy bite ever.
Step 5: Fry
Place about 6 to 8 bites at a time into oil heated over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Fry until golden brown on all sides. Remove the bites with a slotted spoon and place them on a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat until all the bites are done. Enjoy!
- You can line your baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- Work in small batches when frying the bites to ensure the oil stays nice and hot.
- The easiest way to mix the cheese and peppers is by hand.
- Wash your hands and NEVER touch your face when working with hot peppers.
- Use your favorite cheeses for this recipe.
- For a different texture, use panko breadcrumbs.
- For a slightly different flavor, try using Hatch chiles in place of jalapenos.
What to Serve with Texas Roadhouse Rattlesnake Bites
These make a great addition to a larger appetizer spread with all of your favorite finger foods. For dipping try:
- Buffalo sauce
- Taco sauce
- Sour cream dip
- BBQ sauce
- Cheese sauce
Texas Roadhouse Rattlesnake Bites are deep-fried golden balls of cheese and jalapenos.
Rattlesnake Bites are filled with a blend of cheese and jalapenos, so they’re a bit hot.
Rattlesnake Bites are delicious when dipped in:
Sour cream dip
Yes, you can. These Rattlesnake Bites will last for up to 3 months in the freezer when stored correctly.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Rattlesnake Bites
Refrigerate these bites for up to 4 days in an airtight container. For longer storage, freeze them for up to 3 months in a heavy-duty freezer bag with as much air removed as possible.
To reheat these bites, place in the air fryer basket and air fry them for 5 to 6 minutes at 375 until heated through.
Try These Delicious Rattlesnake Bites Today
With a spicy, gooey cheese center and perfectly fried, crispy exterior, these copycat Texas Roadhouse Rattlesnake Bites are not to be missed! They’re kind of like a cross between jalapeno poppers and mozzarella sticks, and they’re every bit as delicious as that descriptions makes them sound. Give these a try, and I know you’ll make them a permanent part of your appetizer rotation!
More Delicious Appetizer Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Here are some delicious Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers that are bite-size and the perfect appetizer recipe that is perfect for parties, potlucks, gameday get-togethers, or as a midday snack. Super crunchy, super delicious.
Texas Roadhouse Rattlesnake Bites
- 2 cups pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 jalapenos, seeds removed, sautéed until soft
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1½ cup Panko breadcrumbs, (see note)
- 2 teaspoons slap ya mama
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1-2 cups vegetable oil
- Set up a dredging station with 3 shallow containers.
- The first container with flour, the second with buttermilk and egg whisked together, and the third with the breadcrumbs and all the seasonings.
- In a large bowl, add both cheeses and softened jalapenos.
- Roll into small balls and place on a small baking sheet.
- Flash freeze for 30-45 minutes.
- In a large frying pan or skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Roll each ball into flour, then egg mixture, and finally in breadcrumb mixture.
- Place about 6-8 bites at a time into the hot oil. Cook until golden on all sides.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Work in batches.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media. Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest.