Mac and Cheese Vegan Style Recipe
Ever since we started our new way of eating, I have tried many different times to make a macaroni and cheese that would be both delicious and satisfying. It wasn’t until yesterday that I finally found the recipe that I will be using from now on! This mac and cheese vegan style is absolutely the one for us! I love this sauce! It’s definitely creamy and with this mac and cheese recipe, I feel like I’m really eating the real deal!
Healthy Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
It wasn’t until I got my new Vitamix that my cheese sauce became wonderful. I had soaked my raw cashews in the previous recipes I’ve tried, but it is not the same as being able to blend them into such fine powder! I love my NEW Vitamix. When my boyfriend bought it for me, he asked me what was the first thing I was going to make? I told him, “I’m going to get my cashews to powder.” Sure enough, it happened and the cheese sauce was so creamy and delicious!
This cheese sauce is great for pouring over broccoli, using as a dipping sauce for homemade pretzels, and lots of other ideas. I’m sure you can think of many different creative ways to use it. So if you haven’t made a healthy mac and cheese yet, make sure to try this mac and cheese vegan style today!
Vegan Macaroni and Cheese
This Vegan mac and cheese recipe actually was a super fast meal to prepare. The most time and effort was peeling and cutting the veggies, then waiting for them to become tender. This took less than 30 minutes to make. I actually had cheese sauce left over, so cook a little more pasta if you would like, or save the extra sauce to dip your raw veggies in, or use for homemade whole wheat bread sticks. I actually added more sauce to this dish when I reheated it today, so I’m glad there was a little leftover.
Mac and Cheese Vegan Style
- 1 16 oz Brown Rice Penne, all natural, gluten free
- 1 1/4 cup potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 1/3 cup carrots, diced small
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cup water, use the water you cooked the veggies in
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 2 Tbs nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt, or more to taste
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, optional
For the Pasta
- In a large pot, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Drain, rinse and set aside.
For the Cheese Sauce
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium sauce pan.
- Add potatoes, carrots and onions.
- Bring back to a boil and reduce heat to low until vegetables are tender.
- Drain water, reserving liquid, and add vegetables to Vitamix.
- Add 1 1/2 cup of reserved water, cashews, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and cayenne pepper to Vitamix.
- Blend on high until ingredients are nice and creamy, less than a minute.
- Add pasta to a serving dish, or back into the large pot, and pour the "cheese" sauce over the pasta.
- Mix well and serve.
Here are a couple pics that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest!
Copyright © Great Grub, Delicious Treats. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words and only list ingredients making sure to link back to this post for the original recipe and directions.