Loaded Twice Baked Potatoes Recipe
If you love baked potatoes, you are going to love these Loaded Twice Baked Potatoes. Filled with cheese, bacon and sour cream, takes these baked potatoes over the top.
Easy Twice Baked Potatoes
These delicious twice baked potatoes are perfect as a side dish for dinner, as a simple lunch idea or even as an appetizer. While many people think loaded twice baked potatoes are only something to get while at a restaurant, they are incredibly easy to make. You can make them as a side to baked chicken, steak or pork.
What are Twice-Baked Potatoes
Twice-baked potatoes are russet potatoes that are baked and once they are done baking, the insides are scooped out then turned into mashed potatoes This filling is put back into the potato skin, and then potatoes are baked again. The process and the ingredients create such a fantastic taste that twice-baked potatoes have grown in popularity over the years. In this case, the mashed potatoes are turned into loaded mashed potatoes, like a loaded baked potato with sour cream, bacon and cheddar cheese.
How Long Does it Take to Bake a Potato in the Oven
Many people think it is too much trouble to bake potatoes in the oven so they opt for the microwave. While it does take longer to make them in the oven, the taste and texture of the potato makes it so worth it. On average, it takes about an hour and a half in the oven and then you have potatoes that are cooked evenly all the way through without getting parts that are under cooked as well as parts that are over cooked. It also gives you the best texture to the potato. The inside is fluffy while the skin has a bit of a crunch to it. It is the best way to make baked potatoes for loaded twice baked potatoes.
How to Reheat Leftover Baked Potatoes
Whether you make extras of these double baked potatoes or you just have leftovers, I have found the best way to reheat them is to heat them in the oven. While they can be reheated in the microwave, oftentimes, this will take the crispiness of the skin away and cause spots to get hard and inedible. I recommend reheating the leftover potatoes in the oven because they reheat beautifully and taste like they we were just made.
Can Twice Baked Potatoes be Frozen
Many people buy premade twice baked potatoes from the freezer section at their local grocery stores. These never taste good and you are doing yourself a disservice. While it does take a time investment to make these twice baked loaded potatoes from scratch, it is something that is easy to do. One solution is to make these potatoes for dinner one night but make extra. Once they have cooled, wrap each potato in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. I like to place them all together in a freezer bag. Then when you are ready to have the potatoes for dinner, you can heat them through in the oven just like frozen twice baked potatoes.
Ingredients For Twice Baked Loaded Potatoes
- Large Russet potatoes
- Cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Butter, milk
- Garlic salt
- Green onions
- Salt and black pepper
(Actual measurements are in the recipe card below.)
How To Make Loaded Twice Baked Potatoes
- Wash and dry potatoes, then pierce each potatoes with a fork or knife on all sides of potatoes.
- Wrap each potato in foil and place on a baking sheet.
- Place in oven and bake for 1 1/2 hours or until thoroughly cooked.
- Remove from oven and when cool enough to handle, remove foil.
- Carefully slice potatoes lengthwise removing a “v” section from the top, when potatoes are cool enough to handle.
- Remove the insides of each potato making sure to leave some potato around the edges and place into a large bowl.
- Add butter, sour cream, cheddar cheese and bacon to mixing bowl and mix well.
- Next add milk, garlic salt, green onions and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Spoon potato filling into each potato shell and place back on the baking sheet.
- Finally, top with additional cheese, pop back in the oven, and bake until cheese has melted and potato filling is hot.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
Try This Delicious Recipe Today
And, here are a few more delicious side dish recipes that can be found on the blog:
- Deviled Egg Macaroni Salad
- Sausage Green Bean Potato Casserole
- BBQ Bacon Broccoli Avocado Salad
- Bacon Green Beans
- 5 large potatoes, washed, dried and pierce with a fork (I used Costco® size potatoes)
- 1 cup butter, 2 sticks, sliced into 1/4" slices
- 1 1/2 cups bacon, crispy and crumbled
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, more for topping, if desired
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 4 green onions, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375°.
Wash and dry potatoes, then pierce each potato with a fork or knife on all sides.
Wrap each potato in foil and place on a baking sheet.
Place in oven and bake for 1 1/2 hours or until they are cooked thoroughly.
Remove from oven and remove foil carefully when cool enough to handle.
Carefully slice potatoes lengthwise, removing a "v" section from the top, when potatoes are cool enough to handle.
Remove the insides of each potato making sure to leave some potato around the edges and place into a large mixing bowl.
Add butter, bacon, sour cream, cheddar cheese to mixing bowl and mix well.
Next add milk, garlic salt, green onions and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
Spoon potato filling into each potato shell and place back on the baking sheet.
Top with additional cheese, place back in the oven and bake until cheese has melted and potato filling is hot.
Remove from oven and enjoy!
Here are a few pics that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest.
Copyright © Great Grub, Delicious Treats. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words and only list ingredients making sure to link back to this post for the original recipe and directions.