Italian Sausage and Peppers is a classic dish that is easy to make and the flavor combination is delicious. It’s a hearty meal that only requires just a few simple ingredients, and is perfect for a busy weeknight dinner when you need to get dinner on the table quickly.
If you’re a fan of hearty, easy dishes, then you’ve come to the right place! This sausage and pepper recipe fits the bill perfectly. I know whenever I share a slow cooker recipe, I talk about how easy meals have always been so important to me. Of course, slow cookers aren’t the only way to make easy meals. This recipe is a prime example of that. It only uses a handful of ingredients, it’s made entirely in a skillet, and it’s ready in just a few minutes! When my kids were still at home, if I wasn’t making something in the slow cooker, you would often find me bringing out the skillet to make this sausage and peppers recipe.
Italian Sausage and Peppers
This super-easy, super-hearty recipe combines Italian sausage, bell peppers, and onions. I cook it all in the skillet until the sausage is done and the veggies are tender, then I serve it over rice, pasta, or on hoagie rolls. That is literally all there is to it. It’s one of the easiest recipes in my rotation and its simplicity is only matched by its absolutely delicious flavor. This is one of my go-to picks for last-minute meals or when I just want something fast and flavorful.
Why You’ll Love This Easy Italian Sausage and Peppers Recipe
- It’s an incredibly easy recipe to make, and it’s a one-pot meal that only requires minimal prep and cooking time, making it a great option for an easy weeknight dinner.
- It’s packed with flavor and the combination of the Italian sausage and the vibrant colors of the four bell peppers, and onions creates a delicious array of flavors.
- It is incredibly versatile and can be customized to your family’s liking by using different types of sausage or adding other vegetables such as zucchini or mushrooms.
Italian Sausage and Peppers Ingredients
You’ll only need a handful of ingredients to make this recipe, and all you’ll need to do is hit the produce and meat sections to get them. You’ll be in and out of the store and ready to cook in no time!
- Italian sausage – hot, mild, and sweet all work in this recipe.
- Olive oil
- Green bell pepper
- Red bell pepper
- Orange bell pepper
- Yellow bell pepper
- Yellow onion
How to Make Italian Sausage and Peppers
Making this recipe couldn’t be easier. It’s a one-skillet wonder that’s done in just a few minutes.
Step 1: Brown the Sausage
Brown whole Italian sausage links in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Step 2: Slice the Sausage
When the outside of the sausages are brown, slice them into half inch slices.
Step 3: Cook the Sausage and Peppers
Add sliced sausage, onions, and bell peppers to the same skillet and cook over medium heat until the sausage is no longer pink, and the vegetables are tender. Enjoy!
- Browning the sausage before slicing it allows you to get a good color on the exterior more easily and pre-cooks it a bit. This ensures that the sausage is fully cooked by the time the onions and peppers are done.
- Cut your bell peppers and onions into even slices so they all cook at the same rate.
- Slice your sausage into ½-inch-thick pieces for even cooking.
- You can use hot Italian sausage or mild Italian sausage. I used a mixture.
- Try adding some minced garlic to the sausage and onions.
- For an extra kick of flavor and heat, add some sliced jalapenos.
- Sliced banana peppers add a bit of heat and extra sweetness.
- Add the sausage and peppers to hoagie rolls for amazing sandwiches.
What to Serve with Italian Sausage and Peppers
Serve this sausage and peppers over rice or pasta. You can also pair them with mashed or baked potatoes. You can also serve this recipe on its own with some crusty bread and butter or garlic bread.
Italian sausage in the casing is the best variety to use for this recipe. Sweet or spicy both work well, so choose your favorite.
Initially, cook the sausage until it’s browned on the outside. After slicing and adding it back to the skillet, cook it until it’s no longer pink.
You can use your favorite color of bell peppers. I find that using a variety of colors gives the best combination of flavor and natural sweetness to the dish.
The time varies, but it should be until the onions and peppers are soft.
You can reheat this dish, but it’s best when it’s fresh out of the skillet.
Cut your onion in half, then slice them lengthwise so they’re about the same size as the peppers.
How to Store and Reheat Italian Sausage and Peppers Leftovers
Refrigerate this dish for up to 4 days in an airtight container. For longer storage, freeze it for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
To reheat the sausage and peppers, place them in a skillet with a bit of water and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until heated through.
Try This Easy Italian Sausage and Peppers
This Italian sausage and peppers is an easy, hearty dish that’s as delicious as it is simple. It’s the perfect dinner for hectic weeknights or simply when you want to put something delicious on the table as quickly as possible. It’s been a staple of my dinner recipe rotation for decades, and I know once you try it, it will be a staple in your recipe rotation, too. Give it a try!
More Delicious Italian Sausage Recipes You’ll Enjoy
This Italian Sausage Penne Casserole is a delicious, cheesy, and family favorite pasta recipe that is super flavorful and satisfying, and will soon become a family favorite with your family too.
Italian Sausage and Peppers
- In a large skillet or frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat, and add sausages to brown.
- Once browned, remove from skillet and slice into ½-inch slices
- Heat remaining olive oil and add sausages, onions, and bell peppers to the skillet.
- Cook over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and veggies are tender.
Follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media. Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest.