Cheesy Ham Broccoli Rice Casserole
Looking for the best Ham Broccoli Rice Casserole? This casserole dish is made using leftover ham and makes an amazing dinner recipe. Make this broccoli rice casserole for dinner tonight.
Ham Broccoli Rice Casserole
If you have leftover ham, this is the recipe you want to have. Ham makes a great dinner but sometimes, you have a lot of leftovers, and you don’t want to have it as just ham again. This recipe for Ham Broccoli Rice Casserole is a great use of leftover ham to create a filing and inexpensive dinner idea.
Can This Leftover Ham Recipe be made with Ham Steak
While I usually make this recipe with leftover ham, it can certainly be made with ham steaks. If you do not have leftover ham and you are craving this family favorite casserole recipe, you can use ham steaks instead.
How to Store This Cheesy Ham Casserole
Once the cheesy ham casserole has cooled, you will want to store it in the refrigerator. It is best to move the cheesy ham casserole to an airtight container, but it can be stored in the casserole dish if you wrap it well with plastic. You want to protect the casserole from the air which will help the casserole last longer.
How Long Does Ham and Broccoli Casserole with White Rice Last
While the ham and cheese casserole will last about 4 days in the refrigerator if it is wrapped well, this can change depending on how long it has been since the ham was cooked. The ham will stay fresh for a total of 5 days. Be sure to consider this when you are judging if the casserole is still safe to eat.
Variations to Broccoli Rice Casserole with leftover Ham
This is a classic comfort food casserole dinner recipe but there are times when you want to take a treasured recipe and see how you can change it up. If you want to try different variations to this casserole recipe, you can try:
- Swap the Vegetables: While I love making this casserole with frozen broccoli florets, you can change it to diced carrots, green beans, cauliflower or any type of vegetables that you like. You can also add several types of vegetables if you prefer.
- Replace the Rice: If you are looking for a simple way to add more vegetables to your diet, you can swap the cooked white rice for cauliflower rice which has the same taste and texture as rice. You can easily make this swap without affecting the taste of the casserole.
- Chicken Broth: If you do not have chicken broth on hand you can use chicken bouillon cubes or use vegetable broth. You can also use beef broth however; beef broth has a stronger flavor than the chicken broth.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup: If you want to change the flavor of the casserole a bit, you can use cream of mushroom soup instead of the cream of broccoli soup. It changes the taste, but it gives the casserole a delicious flavor.
Ingredients Needed To Make This Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole with Leftover Ham
- Broccoli florets
- Onions, garlic
- Cream of broccoli cheese soup
- Chicken broth
- Seasoning, pepper, red crushed peppers
- Green onions
- Sharp cheddar cheese
(Actual measurements are located in the recipe card below.)
How To Make Ham Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Start out by using a large stock pot and melt butter over low/medium heat. Saute onion (not the green onions) for 4-5 minutes then add the minced garlic and saute for an additional minute, then turn heat off.
- Spoon the soup into the pan, add broth, Rotel, seasoning, pepper and crushed red peppers. Stir.
- Add frozen broccoli, rice and ham. Stir until mixed well.
- Next, you’ll add 3 cups of cheese and sliced green onions, stir.
- Pour into prepared baking dish, then top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Carefully remove from oven, remove foil and place back in oven for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven once cheese is bubbly and meal is heated through.
Try This Deliciously Cheesy Casserole Today
Here are a few more delicious casserole recipes that can be found on the blog:
- Italian Sausage Penne Casserole
- Hamburger Hash Brown Casserole
- Taco Pie Casserole
- Sausage Green Bean Potato Casserole, plus many, many more.
- 3 cups diced leftover ham
- 4 cups broccoli florets, frozen
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 3/4 cup onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 10.5 oz cans cream of broccoli cheese soup
- 10 oz can Rotel®
- 14.5 oz can chicken broth
- 1 tsp Slap Ya Mama® seasoning
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp red crushed peppers
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
Preheat oven to 350° and spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non stick spray. Set aside.
In a large stock pot, melt butter over low/medium flame and saute onion (not green onion) for 4-5 minutes then add minced garlic and saute for an additional minute, then turn heat off.
Spoon soup into pan, add broth, Rotel, seasoning, pepper and crushed red peppers. Stir.
Add frozen broccoli, rice and ham. Stir until mixed well.
Next, add 3 cups of cheese and green onions, stir.
Pour into prepared baking dish, then top with the remaining cheese.
Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
Carefully remove from oven, remove foil and place back in oven for an additional 15 minutes.
Remove from oven once cheese is bubbly and meal is heated through.
Optional: top with additional cheese and slice green onions. Sour cream is also good to add as well.
Here are a few pics that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest.
Copyright © Great Grub, Delicious Treats. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words and only list ingredients making sure to link back to this post for the original recipe and directions.