This delicious ground beef pasta recipe is loaded with zesty seasoned ground beef, onions, garlic, cheese, and more. A quick and easy weeknight meal the whole family will surely enjoy.
I was a nurse for decades, and during that time I was also a mom. That combination is what taught me early on that recipes that can be made quickly and can also feed a houseful of hungry people are the best ones to keep on hand in your recipe rotation. This rich, creamy, and beefy pasta dish is one that I’ve been making for over 15 years, and I don’t see that changing any time soon. Even though the kids are off on their own with their own families, I still make this dish regularly because I can reheat it a couple of times, making it a great time saver for dinner!
Ground Beef Pasta
This dish starts with ground beef, onions, bell peppers, and jalapenos that I cook until tender. Then, I add garlic and zesty seasonings along with tomato sauce, beef broth, and heavy cream to make a rich, creamy sauce. Finally, I add pasta cooked to al dente perfection, sour cream, and shredded cheese that I stir in to melt. When it’s all said and done, I have a delicious beef and pasta meal that will satisfy even the heartiest eaters, and everyone always loves it.
Why You’ll Love This Ground Beef Pasta Recipe
- It’s easy to make and can be on the table in no time.
- It is affordable and ground beef is a relatively inexpensive ingredient.
- It is a budget-friendly option that is hearty and flavorful and is sure to please everyone at the table.
Ground Beef Pasta Ingredients
This recipe uses several ingredients, but they’re all simple ones that are either in your kitchen already or a just a short jaunt to the grocery store away.
- Lean ground beef
- Medium onion
- Cloves garlic
- Green bell pepper, diced
- Jalapeno pepper
- Slap Ya Mama seasoning
- Black Pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Tomato sauce
- Beef broth
- Heavy cream
- Sour cream
- Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Elbow macaroni
How to Make Ground Beef Pasta
Making this pasta and beef dish is as simple as gathering up all the ingredients. It just takes a little bit of stove work and mixing. That’s it. The entire thing takes about 30 minutes from start to finish.
Step 1: Cook the Beef, Onions, and Pepper
Cook the beef, onions, bell pepper, and jalapeno in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat until the beef is no longer pink and the vegetables are tender. Drain and return to the pan.
Step 2: Add Garlic and Seasonings
Add the garlic, Slap Ya Mama, salt, and pepper to the beef mixture and cook for 2 more minutes.
Step 3: Add the Sauce Ingredients
Add the tomato sauce, beef broth, and heavy cream to the pot and bring to a boil. Then, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Step 4: Cook the Pasta
While the beef mixture simmers, boil the pasta in a large pot of water according to the package directions for al dente. Drain and set aside.
Step 5: Finish the Ground Beef Pasta
Add the sour cream to the meat mixture and stir to combine. Then, add the pasta and stir. Finally, add the shredded cheese, stir, and serve hot. Enjoy!
- For the best texture, cook your pasta to al dente and no further. You don’t want mushy noodles.
- Stop cooking the ground beef as soon as it’s no longer pink. Overcooking the beef will make it rubbery and tasteless.
- Turn off the heat before adding the sour cream so it doesn’t break.
- You can make this with ground turkey or chicken.
- Ground pork works well in this dish.
- Try cubed beef or pork.
- Try adding a splash of Worcestershire sauce to the dish.
- Any short noodle variety will work in this recipe.
- You can use milk in a pinch if you don’t have heavy cream, although the dish will be less rich.
What to Serve with Ground Beef Pasta
This delicious dish is a hearty, complete meal all by itself. I recommend pairing it with a simple salad or your favorite vegetables and some crusty bread or garlic bread.
What happens if you don’t drain ground beef?
If you don’t drain your ground beef, your recipe will be greasy. How greasy depends on the kind of ground beef you used. In general, you should always drain your ground beef to avoid an overly greasy dish.
Should you drain ground beef for pasta?
You should always drain ground beef for any dish you’re making. Not draining your beef will result in a greasy dish, and it may even make you sick to your stomach.
Can you cook ground beef and pasta in the same pot?
Not really. Most ground beef pasta recipes require the beef to be cooked separately with other ingredients and then drained before adding the sauce and pasta. You can’t sautee pasta, so the only other way to cook beef and pasta in the same pot would be to boil it all at once, which would result in rubbery ground beef.
Why does my pasta get mushy?
If you overcook your pasta, it can get mushy from the agitation of being stirred into the sauce and the extra, carry-over cooking from the other hot ingredients into which you’re stirring your pasta.
Can you make ground beef pasta in advance?
Absolutely. This dish reheats very well, so feel free to make it the day before you plan to serve it if you have more time.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Ground Beef Pasta
Store this ground beef pasta in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an airtight container. For longer storage, you can freeze it for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
To reheat, place it in a pot and reheat it over low heat until it’s thoroughly warm. ONLY use warm heat so you don’t break the sauce.
Try This Delicious Creamy Beef Pasta Recipe Today
This ground beef pasta recipe is as delicious as it is easy. You’ll be in and out of the kitchen in about half an hour, and you’ll be arriving at the table with a hearty dish that everyone will love. This is a seriously filling dish, making it a great family meal or addition to potlucks. Give it a try, and I know you’ll make it a permanent part of recipe collection.
More Delicious Pasta Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Italian Sausage Penne Casserole – Loaded with deliciously seasoned Italian sausage, lots of mozzarella cheese and penne pasta, this delicious pasta dish is a family favorite dinner recipe.
Cheesy Hamburger Pasta – A delicious comfort food recipe that is a quick and easy weeknight meal that can be on the table in about 30 minutes.
Classic Lasagna – A hearty and delicious, easy to make Lasagna recipe that has been in the family for over 40 years. Meaty, cheese and so delicious!
Italian Sausage Bow Tie Pasta – Made with Italian sausage, onions, garlic, diced tomatoes, bow tie pasta and LOTS of cheese, this pasta recipe has been family favorite since we were kids.
Ground Beef Pasta
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, stem, seeds removed, diced
- 1 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- (2) 15 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 16 ounce elbow macaroni
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, over medium heat, brown ground beef, onions, bell pepper and jalapeno pepper. Cook until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Drain and return to the pan.
- Add garlic, Slap Ya Mama, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and cook for two minutes.
- Pour in tomato sauce, beef broth, and heavy cream. Stir and bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions for al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Add sour cream to the meat mixture, stir and then add pasta. Stir.
- Lastly, add shredded cheese, stir to combine and serve hot.
- Enjoy with a side salad and crusty bread.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.