These fried burritos with chicken are super flavorful, crispy, crunchy fried burrito recipe loaded with shredded chicken, beans, rice, corn, and more, that starts out in the crock pot which makes this recipe so easy to make and a favorite burrito recipe the whole family will enjoy.
I’m a big fan of burritos. They’re one of my favorite Mexican foods. But do you know what I love even more? Fried burritos. That’s right, the famed chimichangas. Oh, they’re so good. There’s almost nothing that can’t be made better by frying it, and these burritos are absolute proof of that. I take my delicious, zesty burrito recipe and then I fry it up to golden brown perfection, and then I just watch them disappear. I’ve been making these for years, and they rarely last for longer than a couple of days.
Fried Burrito with Chicken
These delicious fried burritos feature tender, shredded chicken and rice bathed in a delicious sauce made with Rotel, chilies, jalapeno, cream cheese, and spicy seasonings. Then, I add the filling and cheese to flour tortillas and fry them up to golden brown perfection. The result? One of the best chimichangas you’ve ever had or will ever have. They’re incredibly satisfying, hearty, and classically Tex-Mex delicious.
Why You’ll Love This Fried Burrito Recipe
- They’re loaded with all the flavors we love in chicken burritos.
- This simple recipe starts in the crock pot and then all you need to do is roll them up and fry them.
- They’re crispy, crunchy, and a favorite chicken burrito recipe with all the flavors of the southwest.
- They’re a great leftover for an easy grab-n-go meal.
Fried Burrito Tips and Variations
I have a few tips here to help ensure that your chimichangas are the best that they can possibly be. I also have some great variations that you can use to switch things up.
- Be sure you don’t crowd your skillet when frying the burritos. It will lower the oil’s temperature too much and cause the burritos to be soggy.
- Don’t overfill your burritos. You need ample space to be able to fold the burritos so they stay together.
- Heat your tortillas before filling and folding them, so they’re pliable and don’t rip.
- You can make these burritos using ground beef, steak, pork, or chorizo. You can even make breakfast burritos by adding scrambled eggs.
- Soft corn tortillas work very well for this recipe, as well.
- Add your favorite burrito fillings to this recipe. Think black beans, avocado, and similar ingredients.
- Top with sour cream, fresh cilantro, salsa, or drizzle some creamy jalapeno sauce over the top.
What to Serve with this Fried Burrito with Chicken Recipe
- Lime and coriander rice
- Mexican rice
- Spanish rice
- Refried beans
- Mexican coleslaw
- Pico de Gallo
- Guacamole and chips
- Salsa and chips
Fried Burrito with Chicken FAQ
If you have questions about this recipe, then read on. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about fried burritos.
Can burritos be deep fried?
Absolutely. In fact, that’s how traditional chimichangas are made. Chimichangas are simply deep fried burritos.
What’s the difference between a burrito and a chimichanga?
Chimichangas are burritos that are deep fried. That’s the only difference.
How do you seal a burrito for frying?
Folding burritos correctly is essential for keeping them sealed. To fold burritos, fold the short sides about 1 to 2 inches inward over the filling. This keeps the filling from oozing out of the end of the burrito when you bite it. Then, roll the burrito up and away from you, keeping the sides tucked. Tuck the bottom flap as you continue to roll the burrito until it’s completely rolled up.
Can you freeze fried burritos?
You sure can. Wrap them tightly in a double layer of plastic wrap. Then place them in an airtight, freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
How to Store and Reheat Fried Chicken Burritos
The best way to store your burritos is to store the filling in its own airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge and make fresh burritos when you want them. That way, your wrap won’t get soggy. If you want to make burritos and freeze them for later, cook them up, wrap them in a double layer of plastic wrap, and freeze them for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
To reheat the burritos, place them in the microwave loosely covered with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 1 minute, then flip and repeat. It usually only takes about 2 minutes to heat up a frozen burrito. Also, the air fryer is a great way to reheat leftover fried burritos.
Fried Burrito with Chicken Ingredients
This recipe uses simple ingredients that you can easily find at your local grocery store.
- Chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- White onion, chopped
- Ranch style beans with jalapenos
- Diced green chilies
- Sliced olives
- Corn, drained
- Slap Ya Mama
- Black pepper
- Chili powder
- Ground cumin
- Crushed red peppers
- Cream cheese
- Chicken broth
- Uncooked rice
- Colby Jack cheese
- Burrito size flour tortillas
- Vegetable oil, for frying
How to Make Fried Burritos with Chicken
Making this recipe couldn’t be simpler. The majority of the cooking is done in the crock pot, with the only thing left to do being wrapping and frying. That’s it!
Step 1: Cook the Chicken Filling
Add all the ingredients except the rice and cheese to a crock pot. Then, cover and cook on high for 2 hours. Shred the chicken and place it back in the crock pot. Add rice, stir, and cook for another 2 hours.
Step 2: Construct the Burritos
Heat the flour tortillas for a few seconds in the microwave so they’re pliable. Then, add 2 to 3 heaping tablespoons of the tender chicken mixture in the center of the tortilla, top with shredded cheese, and fold up the tortillas as described above in the FAQ.
Step 3: Fry
Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet or frying pan. Carefully add a few burritos at a time to the oil and cook on all sides until golden brown.
Step 4: Drain and Serve
Place the burritos on a late lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil. Serve warm with your favorite sides and enjoy!
Try This Delicious Fried Burrito with Chicken Recipe Today
This fried chicken burrito recipe is loaded with flavor, not work. The filling is cooked in the crock pot, and the frying process is very simple. It’s a recipe so easy even beginners can make it and so delicious that everyone loves it. With a combination like that, why wouldn’t you want to try these? Give them a shot, and I guarantee you and your family will love them as much as we do.
More Delicious Chicken Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Sheet Pan Chicken and Potatoes – This delicious and easy recipe is made with boneless, skinless chicken breasts, baby Yukon potatoes and a honey glaze.
Malibu Chicken – A delicious and favorite way to enjoy chicken. Fried, crispy boneless chicken breasts are topped with Swiss cheese and sliced ham. Definitely a favorite chicken recipe you are going to love!
Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken – This cheesy, creamy, crock pot chicken recipe is super flavorful and easy to make. Delicious and the perfect weeknight meal.
And, here is a delicious Marry Me Chicken with Pasta from Deliciously Seasoned that you might enjoy as well.
Fried Burritos with Chicken
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 10 ounce can Rotel
- 15 ounce can ranch style beans with jalapenos
- 4 ounce can diced green chilies
- 2.25 ounce can sliced olives
- 15 ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 teaspoons Slap Ya Mama
- 1 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon crushed red peppers
- 8 ounce cream cheese
- 2½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 3 cups Colby Jack cheese
- 14-18 burrito size flour tortillas
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Add all the ingredients except the rice, cheese and tortillas into the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours.
- Shred chicken, put back into the crock pot and add the rice. Stir.
- Cook for an additional 2 hours.
- In a large skillet or frying pan, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Heat flour tortillas and add 2-3 heaping tablespoons of chicken mixture in the center of the tortilla, top with shredded cheese, fold into a burrito and set aside while the oil is heating up.
- Carefully add a few burritos at a time into the hot oil and cook on all sides until golden brown.
- Place on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
- Serve hot and add your favorite toppings.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.