Here is an easy healthy pasta dish that you are sure to enjoy! Since we have recently started eating healthier, and changed our dietary lifestyle, I have enjoyed making different meals that are both satisfying and great tasting. This easy healthy pasta dish has a great taste to it and is both filling and healthy! Actually, it’s delicious!
I used organic whole wheat pasta and organic tomato products in this recipe. Also, I added a bag of veggie ground crumbles, which are vegan, to give it a meaty taste. Meat substitutes tend to be more processed than I’d like, so use sparingly. They can add additional flavor, texture and the sense of eating meat for those that want the taste of meat in their pasta!
We recently made this with whole wheat spaghetti and it was delicious too! This has been my “go to” sauce recipe for my lasagna, and other pasta dishes that I have made over the years, but organic and whole wheat is what I’ll be using from now on, along with other healthy pastas. No meat, no dairy!
I never thought I would be eating a whole foods, plant-based diet. This is all new to me and I am totally loving every minute of it!
- 2 15 oz cans organic tomato sauce
- 1 12 oz can organic tomato paste
- 1 28 oz can organic diced tomatoes
- 1 can water, 15 oz
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1½ tsp basil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 12 oz package Boca® veggie ground crumbles, or similar (optional)
- 2 16 oz packages organic whole wheat Fusilli Pasta
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- In a dutch oven, add coconut oil and heat over medium heat until melted.
- Add chopped onions and garlic and cook until onions are translucent.
- Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, diced tomatoes and water. No need to drain the diced tomatoes.
- Add oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Stir.
- Cover, and reduce heat to low.
- Let simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- After 1 hour, add frozen veggie ground crumbles and continue cooking for an additional 30 minutes.
- Cook according to package directions.
- Drain and rinse.
- Spoon sauce over pasta and enjoy!
Here are a couple pics that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest!