This delicious easy corn casserole is a favorite side dish recipe, especially during the holidays. It’s super flavorful, creamy, baked to perfection, and sure to become a favorite with your family too.
Corn casserole is one of my all-time favorite side dishes, especially when the holidays roll around. I love to bring it to every potluck and family gathering I attend during Thanksgiving and Christmas. It’s so classic, in fact, that I’d rank it up there with green bean casserole as one of the most well-known and beloved holiday side dishes. I have a recipe that takes the classic and makes it even better with the addition of a little extra flavor and heat thanks to diced jalapenos and a little Cajun seasoning. It’s one of my holiday signature dishes, and I’ve been serving it up for over a decade now.
Easy Corn Casserole
This delicious casserole dish starts with canned whole kernel and creamed corn. Then I combine it with cornbread mix, zesty spices like Cajun seasoning, red pepper flakes, and garlic, along with diced jalapenos, sour cream, and cheese to create a delicious corn casserole that packs a punch of flavor and just the right amount of heat. Then it’s topped with breadcrumbs and melted butter. Yummo!
Why You’ll Love This Corn Casserole Recipe
- It’s super flavorful and packs a zesty kick.
- It’s easy to make and only uses simple ingredients.
- And, it’s the perfect side dish for the holidays or any time of year!
- Be sure to drain your whole-kernel corn so your casserole isn’t watery.
- Always spray your baking dish with nonstick spray so your casserole comes out easily.
- Don’t overcook your vegetables. You want softened onions, not caramelized.
- For a mild version of this recipe, omit the diced jalapenos and red pepper flakes.
- Use any shredded cheese you prefer in this recipe, although stronger cheeses like cheddar, cheddar jack, and the like work best.
- For a creamier casserole double the cream-style corn and leave out the whole-kernel corn.
What to Serve with Corn Casserole
This delicious corn casserole pairs perfectly with just about any protein, whether or not it’s the holiday season. Some great pairings include:
- Beef roasts
- Pork roasts
- Grilled meats
- Roasted chicken
- Roasted turkey
- Beef stew
What is corn casserole?
It’s a casserole made of corn, sour cream, cheese, jiffy mix, and spices and topped with a breading of some kind.
Where does corn casserole come from?
It’s believed to have originated with Native Americans who cooked corn and water together to create corn pone. After it was shared with English settlers, they put their own spin on it by adding milk, eggs, and butter.
What meat goes with corn casserole?
Corn casserole pairs well with almost any beef, pork, or poultry dish.
Can I make corn casserole ahead of time?
Yes, you can. Simply mix your casserole ingredients together and store it in the refrigerator for a couple of days. Then, bake it on the day you plan to serve it.
Does this need to be refrigerated?
Absolutely. Always refrigerated your corn casserole to store it and never leave it out for longer than two hours.
Can you freeze corn casserole?
You sure can. Cool it completely, then wrap the dish in a double layer of plastic wrap and a layer of foil and freeze for 3 months. You can also scoop it out into a freezer-safe container and freeze for 3 months.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Corn Casserole
Store your casserole covered in either the original container or an airtight container for up to a week in the refrigerator. For longer storage, freeze it for up to 3 months wrapped in a double layer of plastic wrap and a layer of foil or in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
To reheat leftovers, let the corn casserole sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Then cover and bake at 350 degrees in an oven-safe container for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes.
Easy Corn Casserole Ingredients
This recipe uses simple ingredients that you can easily find at your local grocery store. There’s nothing fancy needed to make this delicious flavor.
- Olive oil
- Cloves garlic
- Slap Ya Mama seasoning
- Black pepper
- Parsley flakes
- Red pepper flakes
- Whole kernel corn
- Cream corn
- Large eggs
- Sour cream
- Box of Jiffy corn muffin mix
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Panko breadcrumbs
How to Make this Easy Corn Casserole recipe
Making this recipe is even easier than gathering up the ingredients. All it takes is a little mixing and baking. That’s it!
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray a 2 1/2-quart baking dish with non-stick spray.
Step 2: Cook the Vegetables
In a skillet or frying pan, cook onions, jalapenos, garlic, Slap Ya Mama seasonings, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and parsley flakes in oil over medium heat until the onions are translucent and the peppers are tender. Add the corn and stir.
Step 3: Mix the Casserole
In a large bowl, combine the cornbread mix, corn mixture, cream corn, eggs, sour cream, melted butter, and shredded cheese, and stir to combine.
Step 4: Bake
Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and bake for 30 minutes. Then, top with the breadcrumb and melted butter mixture and bake for another 20 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.
Try This Corn Casserole Recipe Today
This corn casserole is loaded with flavor, not work. With just a few minutes of sautéing, mixing, and then a little baking, you’ll have a delicious side that’s perfect for any holiday table or any table period. Whether you’re serving it next to holiday turkey or ham or as a side to barbecue or chicken, this recipe is always a hit with everyone. Give it a try, and you’ll see exactly what I mean.
More Delicious Side Dish Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Cheesy Garlic Scalloped Potatoes – Loaded with three different types of cheese, garlic, and sour cream, these delicious scalloped potatoes make the perfect side dish to any of your favorite proteins to create the best comfort meal.
Kielbasa Sausage Cheesy Potato Casserole – This is a simple side dish recipe that pairs well with meatloaf, roasts, and grilled meats.
Creamy Coleslaw – This delicious side dish requires a few simple ingredients and is the perfect addition to any protein main meal.
And, try this delicious Cheesy Funeral Potatoes recipe, from Deliciously Seasoned, that you will enjoy as well.
Easy Corn Casserole
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 15 ounce whole kernel corn, drained
- 15 ounce cream corn
- 2 large eggs whisked
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 box jiffy cornbread mix
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven 375° to and spray a 2 ½ quart baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a skillet or frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, jalapeno, garlic, slap ya mama, black pepper, red pepper flakes, parsley flakes. Stir until onions are translucent and peppers are tender.
- Add corn, stir.
- In a medium bowl, add cornbread mix, corn mixture, cream corn, eggs, sour cream, melted butter and shredded cheese. Stir to combine.
- Pour cornbread mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes, remove from oven, top with breadcrumbs and melted butter mixture.
- Return to oven and bake for 20 additional minutes.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.