These delicious dinosaur cookies are soft and chewy, made with dinosaur baking chips mixed right in the cookie dough, topped with even more dinosaur mix, and baked to perfection. A fun sugar cookie recipe the kids can help with and enjoy making.
Cookies are such a fun dessert or treat to serve to anyone, especially kids. You’ll never see a child’s eyes light up for anything the way they do for cookies. That’s why cookies have been on my list of treats that I make regularly for years. Ever since my kids were little, I’ve been keeping cookies on hand for afterschool snacks, desserts, or to serve to visitors who pop by the house. Now, I have a new cookie recipe that will wow everyone, especially the kiddos – dinosaur sugar cookies!
These delicious cookies are as fun as they are delicious. A simple, classic sugar cookie base is stuffed full of dinosaur baking chips to make a double blast of sweet deliciousness that is so perfect for the kiddos. With brightly colored dinosaur-shaped baking chips and sprinkles, these cookies explode with flavor and color, and they’re always a fun snack for kids or adults who are still kids at heart! Soft and tender, these are the classic sugar cookies that we all know and love with a fun twist!
Why You’ll Love These Dinosaur Sugar Cookies
- Like any good sugar cookies, these cookies are so soft and chewy.
- This is a super simple recipe, which means you’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time. It’s also the perfect recipe to get the kids in the kitchen to help.
- This recipe mainly uses pantry staples. Outside of the dinosaur mix, you probably have everything you need in your kitchen right now.
- These are the perfect party sweet treat for any little dinosaur-lover. Serve up a plate of these along with dinosaur plates and decorations for a fun dinosaur theme birthday party.
- Talk about fun! This mix is full of dinosaur-shaped chips, sprinkles, and mini marshmallows.
Tips and Variations
This is an incredibly simple recipe, but I do have some tips to help you make these cookies even better. I also have some fun variations so you can switch things up when you like.
- Gently press your cookie dough down a bit with the bottom of a glass after rolling the dough into balls. This helps them cook more evenly.
- Use room temperature butter so it creams perfectly with the sugar.
- Find the dinosaur mix for these cookies online at Sam’s Club®.
- Can use a dinosaur cookie cutter or other shaped cookie cutters.
- Sprinkle the unbaked cookies with more dinosaur mix before baking.
- Add any kind of baking chip mix you like to these cookies for a different look.
- For a different look, roll the cookie balls in the dinosaur mix before baking.
Dinosaur Sugar Cookies FAQ
If you have questions about these dinosaur sugar cookies, then read on. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about this recipe.
Can you freeze sugar cookies?
Sugar cookies, shortbread, gingerbread, and other simple cookies freeze incredibly well.
What is the best way to freeze sugar cookies?
Cool your cookies completely, then open-air freeze them in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Place them in an air-tight, freezer-safe container in single layers with parchment paper in between each layer.
Why is my sugar cookie dough crumbly?
Your dough should be somewhat crumbly BEFORE rolling it into balls. If your dough isn’t smooth when you roll it into balls, you probably didn’t add enough liquid.
Why are my sugar cookies overdone?
Soft sugar cookie recipes should be removed from the oven before they’ve finished baking. If you baked your cookies to golden brown in the oven, they’ll be overdone due to carryover cooking time.
Dinosaur Sugar Cookies Storage
You can store these sugar cookies at room temperature in an air-tight container for up to 2 weeks. For longer storage, you can freeze them as outlined above for up to 6 months.
Dinosaur Cookies Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make these cookies. Outside of the dinosaur baking mix, you’ll most likely have all the ingredients in your kitchen already.
- All purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Large egg
- Vanilla extract
- Corn syrup
- Yummallo® Dino Mix
How to Make Dinosaur Cookies
This recipe is just as simple as the ingredient list. It’s a sugar cookie recipe, so there are no hoops to jump through. It’s just simple, rustic cooking.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Step 2: Combine the Wet Ingredients
Cream the butter and sugar together until creamy with an electric mixer in a large bowl. Then, beat egg, vanilla, and corn syrup into the mixture.
Step 3: Combine the Dry Ingredients
In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together.
Step 4: Make the Dough
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until a dough forms. Stir the dinosaur mix into the cookie dough.
Step 5: Make the Cookies
Use a 1 1/2-inch cookie scoop to place rounded cookie dough balls onto the prepared baking sheet. Then, gently press each sugar cookie down and add a little more mix to the tops of each cookie.
Step 6: Bake
Bake for 10 minutes. Then, remove the cookies from the oven and leave them on the baking sheet for a couple of more minutes. Finally, transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Try These Delicious Dinosaur Sugar Cookies Today
These dinosaur sugar cookies take a delicious, rustic classic, and add a fun twist. Brightly-colored dinosaur baking chips, sprinkles, and even marshmallows combine with a simple sugar cookie dough to create a super fun, super tasty treat that everyone will love. You’ll love how easy they are to make! With a combination like that, there’s no reason not to give them a try. Make a batch today, and I know you’ll love them.
More Delicious Cookie Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Frosted Lemon Sugar Cookies – These lemon cookies are incredibly soft and have a delicious lemon cream cheese frosting that is absolutely scrumptious. A favorite lemon cookie recipe.
Coconut Cream Cookie Bites – This mini cookie bite recipe is a tasty bite-sized treat. Easy mini cookie is filled with a coconut flavored pudding, whipped cream and toasted coconut on top. Easy, delicious and a fun sweet treat to enjoy.
Soft Chewy Molasses Cookies – These molasses cookies are super soft, chewy and delicious. They are one of our favorite cookies anytime of year, but they are ALWAYS on our cookie exchange list during the holidays. So delicious!
And, if you love oatmeal cookies, here is a delicious White Chocolate Oatmeal Craisin Cookie recipe you might enjoy from our other blog, Deliciously Seasoned!
- 2 ⅔ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon corn syrup
- 1 cup Yummallo® Dino Mix (more if needed)
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, or a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar together on high speed until creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat egg, vanilla and corn syrup into mixture until combined
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together.
- Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix together.
- Stir dinosaur mix into cookie dough (cookie dough with be crumbly).
- Using a 1 ½ inch cookie scoop, roll into a ball and place rounded cookie dough on prepared baking sheet.
- Gently press each cookie down and add a little more dinosaur mix to the top of each cookie.
- Bake in preheated 350 degrees oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cookies sit on baking sheet for a couple minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Here are a couple pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards.
You’re recipes are so awesome. Thank you. Gotta try these soon! 🥰
Great Grub, Delicious Treats
Thank you so much! I’m so glad you enjoy them. Thank you for sharing! :)