Crockpot steak and peppers is a savory and delicious, classic comfort food recipe that is easy to make and is loaded with flavor. The beef is slow cooked until it is tender and juicy, the sauce is absolutely delicious, and the peppers add a bit of sweetness and crunch to the dish. It is great served with rice, noodles, or mashed potatoes.
This steak and pepper recipe is as easy as it is delicious. I’ve been making this recipe for years because it’s so easy and hearty. As a mom of a houseful of hungry kids and a husband, a recipe like this was always high on my list. Even after my kids grew up and left home, I continued to make this recipe quite often because the leftovers are just so darn good. I’d make this, and if the kids’ friends didn’t devour it the next day, we could have it for dinner the next day, as well. If you have a family, or you’re just a big fan of delicious food that’s even better the next day, then this is the recipe for you!
Crockpot Steak and Peppers
This hearty, delicious recipe starts with thinly-sliced flank steak, onions, and garlic. I combine them with a delicious sweet and tangy sauce made with soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, and more, and then I cook it all in the slow cooker until the steak is tender. Before finishing, I add the bell peppers in the last hour of cooking so they’re not too crisp or too soft, and serve it over rice, noodles, or mashed potatoes. It’s a super easy recipe that anyone can make, and when it’s all done, you’ll have a dinner that satisfies everyone.
Why You’ll Love This Crockpot Steak and Pepper Recipe
- It’s an easy crockpot recipe that the whole family will enjoy.
- The meat is so tender and juicy, the peppers add a delicious crunch to the dish, and the sauce is super flavorful.
- It’s versatile and is great served with rice, noodles, or mashed potatoes.
Crockpot Steak and Peppers Ingredients
This recipe only uses a few simple ingredients, and they’re all easily found in your kitchen and at your local grocery store. You don’t need anything fancy to make this recipe!
- Flank steak
- Soy sauce
- Brown sugar
- Sesame oil
- Cloves garlic
- Ground ginger
- Red pepper flakes
- Green, red, yellow, orange bell peppers
- Sliced green onions and sesame seeds
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
How to Make Crockpot Steak and Peppers
This is a crockpot recipe, so you already know it’s super easy! It only takes a few minutes of prep, and the crockpot does all the work. Anyone can make it, and it always comes out perfectly.
Step 1: Prep
Lightly spray a 6 to 8-quart crockpot with nonstick cooking spray.
Step 2: Coat the Steak
Add the steak to a large bowl or resealable baggie and coat with cornstarch.
Step 3: Make the Sauce
Combine the soy sauce, water, brown sugar, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes in a medium bowl.
Step 4: Add The Steak, Onions, and Sauce to the Crockpot
Add the steak and diced onions to the crockpot. Then, pour the sauce over all and stir.
Step 5: Cook
Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours until the meat is tender. In the last hour of cooking, add the bell peppers. Top with green onions and sesame seeds and enjoy!
Recipe Tips for Crockpot Steak and Peppers
- I’ve found that a resealable bag is the easiest way to thoroughly coat the meat.
- Mix the sauce ingredients before adding them to the crockpot to ensure everything is fully combined.
- Always wait until the last hour of cooking to add the bell peppers or they’ll turn to mush.
- You can use flank, top sirloin steak, or round steak in this recipe.
- If you don’t have fresh garlic, you can use jarred minced garlic.
- You can slice the onions instead of dicing them and add them at the end along with the bell pepper.
What to Serve with Crockpot Steak and Peppers
This classic dish is best when paired with rice, egg noodles, or mashed potatoes. For dessert, try making and serving some dessert wontons.
Chuck steak is the classic cut of beef for slow cooking. The best cuts for this slow cooker recipe are flank, sirloin, or round steak sliced thin.
You can absolutely put raw steak, or any raw meat for that matter, in a slow cooker. Slow cookers are designed to cook raw meat slowly over low heat until cooked through.
Steak should almost always be cooked at high temperature to sear the outside and trap the juice and flavor inside.
You can store the steak and peppers for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
You’ll usually want to add about ¼ cup of beef broth over the steak before cooking it.
How to Store and Reheat Crockpot Steak and Peppers Leftovers
Refrigerate this dish for up to 4 days in an airtight container. For longer storage, freeze the leftovers for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
To reheat the steak and peppers, add them to a large saucepan and cook on medium-low heat until heated through.
Try This Savory Crockpot Steak and Peppers Today
This steak and peppers recipe is as easy as it is delicious. This easy recipe only takes a few minutes of prep, and then the slow cooker does all the work. When it’s all done, you’ll have a hearty, delicious recipe full of classic Asian flavors that will satisfy the entire family or everyone at your party. Give this one a try, and I know it will quickly become a permanent part of your recipe rotation.
More Delicious Crock Pot Recipes You’ll Enjoy
This Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken is a delicious and easy crock pot recipe made with just a few ingredients, and the flavor is outstanding.
Crockpot Steak and Peppers
- 2 ½ pounds flank steak, sliced thin against the grain
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 cup onions, diced
- ⅓ cup soy sauce, (or ½ cup of low sodium)
- ⅔ cup water
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 bell peppers: green, red, yellow, orange, sliced
- Optional: sliced green onions and sesame seeds
- Lightly spray a 6-8 quart crock pot with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add meat to a bowl or a large sealable gallon baggie.
- Sprinkle with cornstarch and stir or shake to coat.
- Place in the crock pot, and add diced onions.
- In a medium bowl, add soy sauce, water, brown sugar, sesame oil, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine and pour over the beef and onions. Stir.
- Cover and cook 5-6 hours on low, or on high for 3-4 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- Add bell peppers in the last hour of cooking.
- Serve over rice, mashed potatoes, or noodles.
- Top with green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.
Follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media. Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest.