These light and airy, homemade cream puffs with cranberry mousse filling are a delicious and elegant dessert that is perfect for any occasion. The cranberry mousse is tart and tangy, while the cream puffs have a rich and buttery flavor. The two flavors complement each other perfectly, creating a dessert that is sure to impress your guests.
I love simple recipes that make me look like I should have my own show on Food Network (totally just kidding). When I can whip up a meal or dessert quickly and have it look like only someone who went to culinary school could make it, I call that a win. Everyone “oohs” and “aahs”, complimenting me on my cooking prowess, when really, I made something that anyone could make. Call it juvenile, but I love that feeling. Work smarter, not harder, people! One recipe that I love to break out for special occasions is this cream puff recipe filled with cranberry mousse. It’s perfect for Thanksgiving and Christmas thanks to its cranberry citrus filling, and everyone loves its classic cream puff texture.
These delicious cranberry mousse-filled bites of deliciousness start with a classic cream puff dough that’s so easy to make. I bake the puffs until they’re golden brown. Then, I fill them with a homemade cranberry citrus mousse and dust them with powdered sugar. They look like something straight out of a Parisian bakery, but they’re so simple to make. They don’t take much effort or know-how at all! If you want to look like a star without a lot of effort, these delicious cream puffs are for you!
Why You’ll Love This Cream Puff Recipe
- The combination of flavors is amazing. The rich buttery cream puffs are complemented by the tart and tangy cranberry mousse.
- They are light and airy, while the cranberry mousse is flavorful and creamy.
- The two flavors contrast beautifully, making each bite even more enjoyable.
- They are easy to make and can be made ahead of time and stored in the freezer, so you can easily assemble them when you’re ready to serve them.
Cream Puff Ingredients
These fancy-looking cream puffs only take a few simple baking ingredients to make. In fact, the only things you might have to buy are cranberries, oranges, and heavy cream!
- Unsalted butter
- All purpose flour
- Large eggs
- Vanilla extract
- Granulated sugar
- Fresh cranberries
- Orange zest
- Orange juice
- Heavy whipping cream
The actual measurements are in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. Click the “Jump to Recipe” button at the top of the post and it will take you right to the recipe.
How to Make Cream Puffs
Making these cream puffs is a very straightforward affair. It only takes a few steps, and even beginners can make it with no problems at all.
Step 1: Boil the Water and Butter
Bring the water and butter to a roiling boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
Step 2: Add Flour and Salt
Add the flour and salt and stir until the mixture is combined and forms a ball.
Step 3: Cool
Place the mixture in a large bowl and let it cool for 10 minutes.
Step 4: Add the Eggs
Add one egg at a time to the mixture, mixing well after each.
Step 5: Bake
Use a pastry bag or tablespoon to add dollops of the dough to an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 375 degrees until golden brown.
How to Make Cranberry Cranberry Mousse
Making the cranberry mousse filling for these sweet treats is just as easy as making the puffs. You don’t need any special training whatsoever.
Step 1: Make the Cranberry Sauce
Add cranberries, sugar, orange juice, and orange zest to a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the cranberries burst and the sauce thickens. Set aside to cool completely.
Step 2: Make Whipped Cream
Beat the heavy cream in a medium bowl until stiff peaks form.
Step 3: Make the Mousse
Fold the cooled cranberry mixture into the whipped cream until completely combined.
Step 4: Fill the Cream Puffs
Slice each puffs in half. Then, pipe the mousse filling onto the bottom half of the cream puff. Replace the top and dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy!
- It’s important to the final texture of the cream puffs that the water is at a rolling boil when you add the flour and salt.
- Whisk your eggs before mixing them into the cream puff dough.
- When making the cranberry mousse, gently fold it into the cranberry sauce. Don’t stir, or you’ll deflate the whipped cream.
- A sharp, serrated butter knife is best for cutting them in half.
- You can make the mousse with your favorite berries to create different puff variations.
- If you don’t have unsalted butter, simply omit the extra salt called for in the recipe and use salted butter.
What to Serve with Cream Puffs
Cream puffs are delicious when paired with a glass of milk or a cup of rich coffee or a cappuccino. Add them to a plate with fresh fruits for even more flavor.
How to Fill Cream Puffs
Filling cream puffs is actually very easy. Cut the cream puffs in half, then use a piping bag to add a swirled dollop of filling. If you don’t have a piping bag, don’t worry. You can just use a spoon to spoon it on!
Cream puffs are French pastry balls that are typically cut in half and filled with whipped cream, custard, pastry cream, or ice cream. They are also known as “profiteroles.” They may be served plain or topped with chocolate sauce, caramel, or powdered sugar.
They usually deflate if there is too much moisture in them. This most commonly happens if the dough isn’t dry enough or if it is under baked.
Pate a choux is a classic French pastry dough used to make a variety of pastries like profiteroles and eclairs.
You can make them up to 2 days in advance. If you add filling to them, you’ll need to refrigerate them, and without filling they don’t need to be refrigerated.
Yes, they freeze very well and will last for up to a month when stored properly.
How to Store Moussed Filled Cream Puffs
Refrigerate the profiteroles in an airtight container for up to 3 days. For longer storage, wrap them individually in plastic wrap and freeze them in an airtight, freezer-safe container for up to a month.
Try This Delicious Cream Puffs Recipe Today
These delicious cream puffs are sweet, flaky, and loaded with rich filling. They look fancy, but they’re incredibly easy to make, so you’ll look like a baking star whenever you serve them. With their cranberry mousse filling, these profiteroles make the perfect sweet treat for your next Thanksgiving or Christmas gathering. Give them a try, and I know you’ll love them as much as I do.
More Delicious Cranberry Dessert Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Here is a delicious Cranberry Cobbler with a delicious brown sugar pecan crust topping that takes this classic cobbler recipe over the top with added crunch and deliciousness.
Cream Puffs with Cranberry Mousse
- 2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, bring water and butter to a rolling boil.
- Add flour and salt. Stir until the mixture is combined and forms a ball.
- Place mixture into a large bowl. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, beat one egg at a time, on low, mixing well after each addition.
- Using a pastry bag, or drop by tablespoon, onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 25.-35 minutes until golden brown.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add cranberries, sugar, orange juice, and orange zest.
- Stir until the cranberries burst and the sauce thickens. Set aside to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold cranberry mixture into whipped cream. Stir to combine.
- Slice the cream puffs in half. Pipe the mousse filling onto the bottom half of the cream puff.
- Replace the top of the cream puff and dust with powdered sugar, if desired. Enjoy.
Follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media. Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest.