This homemade classic lasagna recipe is absolutely delicious and one that will be requested over and over. A delicious comfort food that satisfies those pasta cravings, those cheese cravings and it’s an easy lasagna recipe to prepare. And, the leftovers are to die for! This meat lasagna recipe is even better the second day.
Loaded with gobs of cheese, from the mozzarella cheese, to the cottage cheese (can substitute Ricotta cheese for a more traditional lasagna recipe), to the Parmesan cheese, this is one extra cheesy lasagna recipe everyone will love. You can also add more mozzarella cheese if you’d like it even more cheesy. Like I’ve said many times, you can never have enough cheese.
Easy Meat Lasagna Recipe
Do you have a family favorite meal that you have been making for ages and ages? Well, this Classic Lasagna recipe is one that I have been making since my son was little. As a young mom, I can remember heading to the grocery store and usually buying the stuff to make this and another family favorite, Farfalle with Sausage. At least once a month I made this simple lasagna recipe. Being a stay at home mom, I loved to cook and did a lot of it, always making different meals and this easy meat lasagna recipe was one of our favorites that is still being requested often.
Simple Lasagna Recipe
The last time I made this classic lasagna was probably about a month ago. My daughter, Halie, did not even know I made this homemade lasagna recipe with cottage cheese. While she was helping me, she was surprised when I asked her to get the cottage cheese out of the fridge. Halie had no clue that I have used this all these years. That’s funny to me because she doesn’t even like cottage cheese, but she loves this classic lasagna! Classic lasagna recipe with ricotta cheese is just as delicious. Substituting ricotta cheese for cottage cheese is a more authentic Italian lasagna recipe.
Favorite Go-To Classic Lasagna Recipe
Totally a delicious comfort food that the whole family will enjoy and a favorite go-to lasagna recipe that will be gobbled up in no time. Everyone loves this classic lasagna and we hope that it will become a family favorite lasagna in your house too. And to make things even easier, the oven ready lasagna noodles are perfect to use as well and makes preparing this meal even quicker. So if you are craving good Italian food, and a delicious Italian lasagna recipe, try this classic lasagna. I promise, you will absolutely love this homemade lasagna recipe.
How to Store Leftover Lasagna
If there are any leftovers, place in an airtight container and once cooled, place in the refrigerator. The leftovers reheat very well and tastes amazing even over the next couple days.
Ingredients to Make Classic Lasagna
- Ground beef
- Onion, chopped
- Garlic cloves, minced
- Olive oil
- Tomato sauce
- Water, use the tomato sauce can
- Tomato paste
- Black pepper
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Cottage cheese, or ricotta cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Lasagna noodles, you will only need about 15 noodles
How To Make Classic Lasagna
Step 1 – Preheat the Oven and Prepare Baking Dish
Preheat the oven to 350° and spray a large baking dish or lasagna pan with a non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
Step 2- Making the Meat Sauce
In a large skillet, over medium high heat, heat oil, onions and garlic for a few minutes then add ground beef. Cook until meat is no longer pink and onions are tender. Drain grease, then return to pan. Next, add tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, seasonings and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes. While the meat mixture is cooking, using a large pot, cook pasta according to package directions for al dente, rinse and set aside. Spray a large casserole dish with a non stick spray then add a small amount of meat sauce to the bottom of the dish.
Step 3 – How to Layer Lasagna
After adding a layer of meat sauce to the bottom of the baking dish, add a layer of lasagna noodles. Spread cottage cheese or ricotta cheese on top of pasta, add a layer of meat sauce and then sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Next add mozzarella cheese and then repeat layering process ending with the remaining sauce then topped with mozzarella cheese.
Step 4 – How to Bake Lasagna
Spray a piece of aluminum foil with a non-stick spray then cover lasagna. Spraying the foil will help keep the cheese from sticking. Bake in preheated oven for approximately 50-60 minutes. Remove foil and cook for an additional 10 minutes. That’s it! Easy and so delicious.
Step 5 – Serving Classic Lasagna
Place on the table and let your family or guest serve themselves by putting a serving in their individual bowl or plate. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
Try This Deliciously Cheesy Classic Lasagna Today
This classic lasagna recipe is absolutely delicious and so easy to make. It’s full of flavor and is a family favorite lasagna recipe. I have been making this lasagna for over 30 years. With a combination like that, there’s no reason not to give it a try. I know you’ll find yourself making it again and again, especially on those cold fall and winter days.
Looking for More Delicious Casserole Recipes?
- Italian Sausage Penne Casserole
- Spicy Tater Tot Casserole,
- Broccoli Cheddar Tater Tot Casserole
- Farfalle with Sausage, plus many more.
- and here is a delicious Easy Ground Beef Pasta recipe from Deliciously Seasoned you might enjoy too.
The Best Meat Lasagna Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- (2) 15 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 15 ounce can water, use the tomato sauce can
- 12 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 24 ounce mozzarella cheese, shredded (can use more)
- 16 ounce cottage cheese, or ricotta cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 16 ounce box lasagna noodles, you will only need about 15 noodles
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet, add olive oil, chopped onions and garlic. Saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook until completely browned, drain fat. Return to pan.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, oregano, basil, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for approximately 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente, rinse and set aside.
- Lightly spray a 14 x 11½ x 2¼ baking dish (or two smaller size baking dishes) with a non stick spray then add a small amount of meat mixture in the bottom of dish. Spread around.
- Add lasagna noodles (approximately 5, they will overlap onto each other).
- Next, spread ½ of the cottage cheese on top of pasta.
- Spoon ⅓ meat mixture on top of cottage cheese.
- Sprinkle with ½ the Parmesan cheese.
- Next add ⅓ of the mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat with another layer of pasta, cottage cheese, meat mixture, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese.
- Final layer is pasta, remaining meat mixture and remaining cheese.
- Spray a piece of aluminum foil with non-stick cooking spray. Cover with foil, cook for approximately 50-60 minutes. Remove foil and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
Here are a couple of pics that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest!