You have to try these amazing Double Chocolate Buttercream Brownies. These frosted brownies are rich and moist, and everything you can possibly want in a chocolate fudgy brownie.
Double Chocolate Brownies with Chocolate Buttercream
When it comes to sweet treats and dessert, rich and chocolaty always wins. These double chocolate brownies are topped with a homemade chocolate buttercream frosting that makes these the most incredible, decadent and favorite brownie recipe you could ever bite into.
What is the Chocolate Used in Chocolate Brownies
When you are making these double chocolate brownies, you will be using cocoa powder and chocolate syrup in the brownie batter. Then these moist brownies are topped with a homemade chocolate buttercream frosting. Cocoa powder is used in the buttercream frosting to create a delicious flavorful chocolate mixture that makes these fudge brownies so delicious.
How to Store Brownies
Whenever you make double chocolate brownies with chocolate buttercream frosting, you want to make sure you store it in an airtight container. If the brownies are left uncovered, they will get dried out and become hard. You can also store the double chocolate brownies in a freezer bag.
Can Double Chocolate Brownies be Frozen
I love putting desserts in the freezer. It is a great way to have desserts on hand whenever the craving hits or when unexpected guests come to the house. Double chocolate brownies with chocolate buttercream frosting make a great freezer dessert.
When you are ready to freeze these brownies, you will want to freeze them on a plate or something similar before you freeze them in an airtight container. This lets the frosting freeze and get hard before the brownies are stacked on top of each other.
Once the brownies are frozen, move them to an airtight container or freezer bag. I like to keep parchment paper between the layers to make it easier to remove the brownies when I am ready to serve them. Let them thaw at room temperature before serving.
Variations to Chocolate Brownies
I love topping these brownies with homemade chocolate buttercream. It makes an incredibly rich brownie. Then I add sprinkles and M&Ms. You can change up the brownies for something slightly different, like adding chocolate chips or white chocolate chips. Here are a few more suggestions to try.
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups– If you love peanut butter cups, you can swap the M&Ms for chopped peanut butter cups. If you want a bigger peanut butter cup flavor, you can also add chopped up peanut butter cups into the batter.
- Different M&Ms– There are so many different types of M&Ms out right now, from caramel to hazelnut spread to pretzels to peanut butter. Each M&M you put on top of these brownies will slightly change the taste. The change can create a whole new dessert to share with friends and family.
- Vanilla Buttercream– You can also make vanilla buttercream instead of chocolate. Some people prefer vanilla over chocolate.
- Mint Buttercream– You can keep with the chocolate theme and add mint extract to the buttercream. This creates a chocolate mint brownie. Then use mint M&Ms on top of the double chocolate brownies. You can also add mint into the brownie batter for a stronger mint flavor.
Ingredients Needed For Chocolate Buttercream Brownies
- All purpose flour
- Baking soda, salt
- Cocoa powder
- Chocolate syrup
- Powdered sugar (confectioner sugar)
- Heavy cream
- Sprinkles and Pastel M&Ms
(Actual measurements are in the recipe card below.)
How To Make Chocolate Buttercream Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350° and line an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 baking dish with parchment paper and sprayed with a non stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, vanilla and eggs followed by cocoa powder and chocolate syrup.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture until smooth. then add milk and beat until combined.
- Spread brownie mixture in prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Carefully remove from oven and let cool completely before frosting.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder and heavy cream until smooth.
- Spread buttercream frosting generously over cooled brownies, and top with sprinkles and M&M’s.
- Cut into squares and enjoy.
Try These Delicious Brownies Today
Here are a few more brownie recipes that can be found on the blog:
- Coconut Pecan Brownies
- Triple Chocolate Walnut Brownies
- Peppermint Brownie Bites
- Mini Brownie Cakes with Peppermint Buttercream Frosting
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), room temperature
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup chocolate syrup
- ½ cup milk
- Pastel M&Ms
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar, more if needed
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3-4 Tbsp heavy cream
Preheat oven to 350° and line an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish with parchment paper and sprayed with a non stick spray.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, vanilla and eggs followed by cocoa powder and chocolate syrup.
Gradually beat in flour mixture until smooth. then add milk and beat until combined.
Spread brownie mixture in prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
Carefully remove from oven and let cool completely before frosting.
In a medium bowl, beat butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder and heavy cream until smooth.
Spread buttercream frosting generously over brownies, and top with sprinkles and M&M’s.
Cut into squares and enjoy.
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes
Here are a few pics that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest.
Copyright © Great Grub, Delicious Treats. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words and only list ingredients making sure to link back to this post for the original recipe and directions.