Chicken broccoli rice casserole is a classic comfort food recipe that is loaded with tender chicken, fresh broccoli florets, and fluffy rice, all in a rich and creamy cheese sauce, topped with two types of shredded cheese, then topped with a buttery, crunchy topping. It can be made with leftover chicken, rotisserie chicken, or chicken that is freshly cooked for this recipe. No matter how you make it, this delicious casserole is sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
Casseroles are a big part of my life. I grew up enjoying them when my mother and grandmother made them, and when I moved out, I made them for myself all the time. They’re the perfect food for a single person. They’re easy and delicious, and you can eat the leftovers for several days. When I got married and had kids, I continued to make casseroles of all kinds for the same reasons I did when I was single. I could make big batches and feed the family for a few days – maybe a couple of days if the kids’ friends came over after school.
Even now that my kids are grown, I make casseroles all the time for me and my guy, and one of my favorites is this chicken broccoli rice casserole. It’s so delicious and cheesy, and it’s super easy to make. I call that a winner! I’ll make this for dinner, and then we’ll have it again for a couple of more days. I also love to bring it to potlucks for a cheesy, chicken and rice treat.
Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
This delicious casserole starts with cooked, cut-up chicken breasts. I combine them with broccoli, rice, creamed soup, and cheese, then top it with crushed Ritz crackers and bake until golden and bubbly. That’s all there is to it! It only takes a little quick and easy prep and a little baking, and when I’m all done, I have a rich, meaty casserole that satisfies even the hungriest person. You just can’t beat it!
Why You’ll Love This Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole Recipe
- It’s delicious and the combination of chicken, broccoli, and rice, and cheese is a classic comfort food recipe that is sure to please everyone at the table.
- It’s easy to make and is made with simple ingredients. You can use leftover chicken, rotisserie chicken, or chicken breasts cooked on the stove specifically for this recipe.
- It is versatile and can be customized to your family’s liking. For example, you can add different vegetables, and you can use different types of cheese, such as Gruyere or Monterey Jack.
Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole Ingredients
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this recipe, and you can find them all at your local grocery store in just a few minutes. It’s so simple that anyone can make it!
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Cooked white rice
- Fresh broccoli florets
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Cheddar cheese soup
- Whole milk
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Ritz crackers
How to Make Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
Making this casserole is just as simple as the ingredient list. It only takes a few minutes of prep and a little baking. That’s all there is to it!
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9×13 or 3-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Step 2: Mix the Casserole
Stir the cooked rice, cream of mushroom soup, cheddar soup, milk, and black pepper in a large bowl until combined. Then, gently stir in the cooked rice and cooked broccoli.
Step 3: Bake
Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish, top with crushed Ritz crackers, and bake for 30 minutes until the cheese is hot and melty and the casserole is heated through. Enjoy!
- Cook your rice until tender but not too soft to keep it from getting mushing when you bake the casserole.
- Add the chicken and broccoli last to limit how much they break up when stirring them into the casserole.
- Crush your Ritz crackers into large crumbs. Don’t pulverize them.
- You can make this recipe with ham, beef, or pork.
- Use your favorite cheese in this recipe.
- Try topping the casserole with fried onions for a tasty twist.
- Try adding diced jalapenos for a kick of heat and flavor.
What to Serve with Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
This casserole is super hearty, so I recommend keeping the sides light and limited. Serve this casserole with a side salad, bread and butter, or garlic bread.
Brown rice will work just as well as white rice in this recipe.
I recommend using fresh broccoli. Frozen broccoli will extend the baking time and can make the chicken overcooked and the rice mushy.
That all depends on the casserole recipe. Some recipes call for cooked broccoli, while others call for blanched or raw broccoli.
This casserole reheats very well, so feel free to cook it and refrigerate until ready to reheat and serve.
This casserole freezes very well and will last for up to 3 months when properly stored.
How to Store and Reheat Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole Leftovers
Refrigerate this casserole in an airtight container for up to 3 days. For longer storage, freeze it for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
To reheat the casserole, cover with foil and bake at 350 until heated through.
Try This Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole Today
This chicken broccoli rice casserole is as hearty and delicious as it is easy to make. It’s so simple and filling that it makes the perfect family dinner or addition to any potluck. It’s also absolutely full of flavor. Give this recipe a try, and I know it will become a new family favorite. I know it’s certainly been a favorite of mine for years!
More Delicious Casserole Recipes You’ll Enjoy
This delicious Italian Sausage Penne Casserole is a cheesy, family favorite casserole recipe that is loaded with Italian sausage, lots of gooey cheese and penne pasta.
Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 16 ounces fresh broccoli florets, cooked
- 10.5 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
- 10.75 ounce can condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup Ritz crackers, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 375° and spray a 9×13 or a 3-quart baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, add cooked rice, cream of mushroom soup, cheddar soup, milk, and black pepper. Stir until combined.
- Gently stir the cooked chicken and cooked broccoli into the rice mixture.
- Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and sharp cheddar over the top, followed by the crushed crackers.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the cheese is hot and melty, and the casserole is heated through.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy!
Follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media. Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest.