This fried cheese balls recipe is always a hit. These delicious and crispy cheese bites are covered in a delicious corn dog batter, deep-fried to golden perfection, and make the best appetizer or afternoon snack recipe.
If you love cheese and you love fried food, then you’ve come to the right place. This recipe is one that you’ll have to force yourself to share with your family and friends. I live in Texas, so I’m in love with anything that’s fried. I know it’s cliché, but the south and southwest are known for fried food for a reason. We know how to do it right! One of my favorite fried foods to make is these delicious cheese balls. I love making them for parties, potlucks, movie nights, or just for snacks. When my kids were in school, I made them frequently for them and their friends. As soon as I made them, they disappeared. When you make them, you’ll see the same results. I guarantee it.
These delicious fried cheese bites are fully homemade, but they don’t take a lot of effort. That’s a huge selling point right off the bat. But wait, it gets so much better. Bite-size pieces of American cheese are coated in a delicious corn dog batter and then deep-fried to crispy, delicious perfection. They’re also seasoned with Slap Ya Mama Cajun seasoning, so every little bite explodes with delicious, fried corndog flavor, melty cheese, and just the right amount of kick from the seasoning. You might have to make two batches – one for yourself and one for everyone else!
Why You’ll Love These Fried Cheese Balls
- They’re a delicious appetizer that everyone loves.
- The deep-fried corn dog batter is so good with the melty cheese middle.
- Kids and adults alike will gobble these down as soon as they hit their plates.
- They’re actually quite simple to make for being fully homemade and fried.
Fried Cheese Ball Bites Recipe Tips and Variations
This is an easy recipe, but it’s definitely one of those recipes that has its little tricks to make it work the best it possibly can. I’m sharing those tricks and some variations with you, as well.
- Wipe your cheese with a paper towel before cutting it into cubes to help the batter stick to it.
- Be sure your oil isn’t hotter than 375 degrees. Any hotter and the batter will cook too fast which won’t give the cheese time to get melty and gooey.
- Reheat these little bites in the air fryer so they stay crispy and delicious.
- Use any of your favorite cheeses for this recipe to make cheddar cheese bites, Mozzarella bites, Colby Jack bites – anything. They all work wonderfully.
- If you prefer a completely mild experience, omit the Slap Ya Mama.
Cheese Bites Recipe FAQ
If you have questions about these cheese bites, then I have the answers for you. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about fried cheese bites.
Where do fried cheese balls come from?
Frying cheese in a batter dates all the way back to medieval France. A recipe for fried cheese appeared in Le Menagier de Paris in 1393. However, this precursor to the modern fried cheese recipe has little in common with what we do today.
What temperature do you deep fry cheese balls?
It varies from 350 degrees to 375 degrees depending on the recipe. This recipe uses 375-degree oil.
Are cheese balls the same as cheese curds?
In some areas, fried cheese curds are referred to as cheese balls. These cheeseballs, however, are not the same. Fried cheese curds use cheese curd. This recipe uses cubed cheese.
Can you freeze fried cheese balls?
You can freeze them, but I don’t recommend it. The batter is never the same after it defrosts.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Fried Cheese Bites
Store these cheese balls in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To reheat them air fry them for 3 to 4 minutes at 350 degrees until warmed through.
Cheese Bites Ingredients
Although this is a fully homemade recipe, you don’t need many ingredients to make it, and all the ingredients are very simple.
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Slap Ya Mama seasoning
- Large egg
- Vegetable oil
- American cheese, cut into bite-size pieces
- Vegetable oil, for frying
Cheese Bites Instructions
It only takes a few simple steps to make these tasty, fried bites!
Step 1: Prep
Cut your cheese into bite-size pieces. Line a plate with paper towels and set it aside.
Step 2: Make the Batter
Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Then, mix the egg, buttermilk, and oil together in a separate small bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just moistened.
Step 3: Dip the Cheese
Place the cheese cube on a wooden stick and dip it into the corn dog batter, covering the cheese completely.
Step 4: Fry
Preheat the oil in a small pan (tall sides preferable) to 375 degrees. Place the battered cheese into the oil and cook until golden brown. Place on the plate and repeat for all the cheese bites.
Try These Delicious Fried Cheese Balls Today
These delicious fried cheese balls are full of flavor but not much work. It’s a great appetizer or snack for almost any occasion, and it comes together relatively easily. That’s a great combination, especially for a recipe like this! Give it a try, and I know you’ll come back to it again and again. You’ll have to. Your family will be begging for more!
More Delicious Appetizer Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Mini Corn Dogs – These mini corn dogs are easily and conveniently cooked in the air fryer, giving them the right amount of crisp on the outside, while keeping the inside absolutely perfect.
Bacon Wrapped Little Smokies – These are a delicious appetizer, made with little smokies that are wrapped in bacon and coated in a honey barbecue sauce and brown sugar mix. They’re sooo delicious!
Loaded Potato Skins – A crispy outer skin and a soft, buttery, and cheesy center, mixed with crispy bacon, sour cream, and sliced green onions.
And, try these Jalapeno Cheese Bites from Deliciously Seasoned. They have a crunchy outer coating and are filled with ooey, gooey cheese and diced jalapenos.
- Line a plate with paper towels, set aside.
- Using a small pan (tall and slender perferrable), heat oil to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk dry ingredients together.
- In a small bowl, mix egg, buttermilk and oil together until combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into wet ingredients, stir just until moistened.
- Place cheese on a wooden stick, dip into the corn dog batter and cover the cheese completely.
- Add cheese to hot oil and cook until golden brown.
- Place fried cheese bites on prepared plate and repeat above steps for the remaining cheese bites
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite appetizer board on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.