Spicy Chicken and Rice Soup
The weather is still so cold around most of the country and this spicy chicken and rice soup is perfect to serve on those cold days or nights. This soup is loaded with chicken, cheese, rice and a bunch of other ingredients which makes this one delicious soup that the whole family will love.
Why go to a restaurant for a soup bowl when you can make your own? This spicy chicken and rice soup is very easy to make and it doesn’t have to be spicy. Just eliminate the jalapenos and pepper jack cheese. Use diced green chilies and cheddar cheese as alternatives if spicy is not something you enjoy.
All you have to do is cut the chicken into bite size pieces, add to a pan of water and boil until done. Next, drain chicken and rinse with water, leave in the strainer until ready to add back into the pan. I used the same pan the chicken was boiled in, just wash it and melt the butter over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add onions, garlic, carrots (sliced thin), celery and reduce heat to low. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until tender, and then add chicken soup, chicken broth, chicken pieces and jalapenos to veggies.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and then simmer for another 10-15 minutes or so. Next, add sour cream, cheese and stir. Lastly, add rice, stir and serve. Make sure to start cooking the rice while the veggies are cooking.
Top with additional cheese if you like your soup extra cheesy. This is more like a soup/stew type of meal. It certainly is delicious! If you are going to make this and use sourdough bowls, slice off the top of the bread and pull out the bread from inside. Make sure to save the bread to dip into the soup. YUM!
Try this spicy chicken and rice soup today
Spicy Chicken and Rice Soup
- 3 chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 22.6 oz cream of chicken soup
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 4 oz can diced jalapenos, do not drain.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 cups pepper jack cheese, grated
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sourdough bread bowls, optional
- In a large saucepan filled with water, add chicken and bring to a boil.
- Lower flame and continue to cook until chicken is cook thoroughly.
- Drain water and rinse chicken. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter (I used the same pan).
- Add onions, garlic, carrots, celery and cook for about 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Pour chicken soup, chicken broth, chicken pieces and diced jalapenos in with veggies.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add sour cream and cheese. Stir.
- Make rice according to package directions, set aside.
- Add rice to soup, stir, season with salt and pepper and serve hot.
Here are a couple pics that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest.
Copyright © Great Grub, Delicious Treats. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words and only list ingredients making sure to link back to this post for the original recipe and directions.