Homemade Spanish rice is the perfect side dish recipe for all your favorite Mexican dishes. This authentic Spanish rice is tender, flavorful and easy to make.
I’m a big fan of rice as a side dish. When I first started cooking, I made rice with almost every meal. It was usually white rice, but as I got more comfortable cooking, I moved on to brown rice and wild rice. Eventually, I started making rice-based dishes like risotto, Spanish rice, and Mexican rice. One thing that struck me when I made my first forays into these new rice dishes was how easy they actually were. All the colors and textures make rice recipes like this one look like they’d be difficult, but they’re actually very simple. I was amazed at how much flavor I could get from such an easy recipe. That’s why I’ve continued to make rice dishes like this.
Homemade Spanish Rice
This delicious rice starts with pan-toasted rice. Then, it’s cooked until perfectly tender in a tomato and chicken bouillon mixture seasoned to perfection with a simple blend of salt, pepper, and cumin. Finally, it’s finished off with peas and carrots. It all comes together to create a side dish that’s loaded with flavor and healthy. It’s also super versatile and can be paired with everything from seafood to beef. If you make it just once, it will become a staple in your regular recipe rotation.
Why You’ll Love This Authentic Homemade Spanish Rice Recipe
- It’s easy to make and uses simple ingredients that are easily found at the local grocery store.
- It’s tender and flavorful, and it makes the perfect side dish recipe to pair with any Mexican meal.
- It can be combined with beef, chicken, or pork to create other delicious recipes like burritos, tacos, enchiladas, and more.
Homemade Spanish Rice Ingredients
You’ll only need a few ingredients to make this recipe, and you can find them all easily at your local grocery store. The actual measurements and full list of ingredients are in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- White rice is the most common type of rice used in Spanish rice. It is a short-grain rice that cooks quickly and has a mild flavor.
- Vegetable oil is used to sauté the onions and garlic in the beginning of the recipe. It can be any type of vegetable oil, such as canola oil, olive oil, or corn oil.
- Roma tomato is a type of plum tomato that is firm with a thick skin and a sweet flavor.
- Cloves garlic is a flavorful ingredient that has a strong, pungent flavor that can add depth to any dish.
- Onion is a common ingredient in many different dishes that has a mild, sweet flavor.
- Chicken granulated bouillon is a seasoning that is used to add flavor to food. It is made from chicken stock that has been condensed and then dried.
- Tomato chicken granulated bouillon is a seasoning that is used to add flavor to food. It is made from chicken stock and tomato paste that have been condensed and then dried.
- Cumin is a spice that has a warm, earthy flavor that can add depth to any dish.
- Frozen peas and carrots are a convenient way to add vegetables to any dish.
How to Make Homemade Spanish Rice
You’re going to be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to make this delicious rice recipe. It only takes a few minutes and a few simple steps.
Step 1: Make the Tomato Mixture
Add tomato, onions, garlic, and both types of bouillon to a blender. Mix until smooth, then add 1 cup of water and blend to combine.
Step 2: Toast the Rice
Heat oil over medium heat in a large frying pan or skillet. Then, cook the rice until it begins to brown.
Step 3: Cook the Rice
Add the tomato mixture to the rice and stir. Then, add the remaining cup of water, salt, pepper, and cumin and stir. Bring to a boil and cook until the rice is tender.
Step 4: Add the Vegetables
Add the peas and carrots, cover, and cook until the vegetables are tender. Enjoy!
- Stir constantly while toasting the rice to ensure even cooking and avoid scorching.
- Remove the rice from the heat as soon as the vegetables are heated through to avoid overcooking the rice.
- Use fresh vegetables for the best flavor possible.
- Use good quality rice. This will make a big difference in the flavor of your rice.
- Use chicken broth or vegetable broth instead of water. This will add more flavor to your rice.
- You can use brown rice in place of white rice for an even healthier side.
- Add cayenne or diced jalapenos for a spicy version of this rice.
- For extra depth of flavor, try roasting the vegetables before blending them.
What to Serve with Spanish Rice
Spanish rice is perfect with a wide variety of dishes. Of course, it’s the classic pairing with most Mexican dishes, however, it’s great with many other kinds of beef, chicken, pork, and seafood dishes, as well. Some great ideas include:
- Mexican-inspired dishes such as crockpot chicken tacos, fajitas, or carnitas
- Non-Mexican dishes such as pizza and pulled chicken sandwiches
- Carne asada, chili verde, Cuban black beans, or grilled shrimp
- Blackened fish tacos or queso-baked chicken
- One-pan huevos rancheros with zucchini
- Fried beans
- Chips and salsa
- Green beans
- Baked potatoes
When choosing a side dish to serve with Spanish rice, it is important to consider the flavors of the main course. For example, if serving a Mexican-inspired dish, you will want to choose a side dish that is also Mexican-inspired, such as refried beans or guacamole. If you are serving a non-Mexican dish, you might want to choose a side dish that is complementary to the flavors of the main course, such as a salad or a vegetable side dish.
No matter what you choose to serve with Spanish rice, you are sure to have a delicious and satisfying meal.
What is Spanish rice?
A traditional Mexican side dish made by cooking white rice in a broth of tomato, garlic, and chicken bouillon. It may also have peas, carrots, and other ingredients added.
What is the difference between Spanish rice and Mexican rice?
Although the terms Spanish rice and Mexican rice tend to be used interchangeably, they’re actually different. Authentic Spanish rice as its made in Spain and is made with saffron, while Mexican rice (also called Spanish rice in Mexico) is made with a simple tomato and chicken broth combo and just a few seasonings.
Why does my Spanish rice come out mushy?
There are generally 2 reasons that rice of any kind comes out gooey or mushy. It can be from adding too much liquid at the start, or it can be because you aren’t allowing the liquid to completely evaporate during the cooking process.
What does Spanish rice contain?
Spanish rice is made with white rice, tomato, garlic, and onion as the core ingredients. Other ingredients include broth and vegetables, like peas and carrots.
Can you freeze homemade Spanish rice?
Spanish rice freezes very well and can be stored for up to 3 months in the freezer.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Spanish Rice
Store this rice in the refrigerator for 5 to 6 days in an airtight container. For longer storage, you can freeze it for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
To reheat, place the rice and a bit of water in a pot with a tight-fitting lid. Then cook over low heat, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes until warmed through.
Try this Delicious Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe Today
This homemade Spanish rice is full of the traditional flavors of Mexico, and it’s the perfect side to serve with all of your favorite Mexican food recipes and beyond. It’s a simple recipe that’s ready in no time, and that combined with all its flavor is sure to make it your new favorite rice dish. Give it a try, and I know you’ll find yourself making it again and again.
More Delicious Mexican Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Spicy Pinto Beans – These pinto beans are loaded with jalapenos, serrano peppers, onion, garlic, and seasoning, and are a delicious side dish for any Mexican dish.
Chile Verde Recipe – This delicious Chile verde recipe has tender chunks of pork cooked in a homemade salsa verde with roasted peppers, onion, garlic, cilantro, and seasonings.
Avocado Dip – This delicious appetizer dip has ripe avocados, jalapenos, cilantro, green onions, and more. It is perfect to serve with tortilla chips and makes a great addition to tacos, burritos, nachos, and more.
And, here is an Air Fryer Chicken Fajita recipe, from Deliciously Seasoned, that you will enjoy as well.
Homemade Spanish Rice
- In a blender or mini food chopped, add tomato, onions, garlic, both bouillon granules. Mix/blend until smooth then add 1 cup of water and blend to combine.
- Using a large frying pan, or skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add rice and cook until rice starts to brown.
- Pour tomato mixture into rice, stir.
- Add remaining cup of water, salt, pepper and cumin. Stir.
- Bring to a boil and cook until rice is tender.
- Next, add peas and carrot, cover and cook until veggies are heated through.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.