These dark chocolate brownies are rich and delicious and loaded with chocolate chunks and chopped walnuts. A fudgy chocolate brownie recipe that the whole family will love, especially topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
I love brownies. I’ll eat any brownie – even the worst one. For me, brownies are like pizza. Even bad ones are good. That being said, I do prefer really delicious brownies, of course. That’s why this recipe is one of my frequent go-tos when I’m going to make brownies. This is a recipe that I’ve been making since I was in my 30s, and its always gone over like gangbusters. Its rich, chocolate flavor and chunky mix-ins create a brownie that’s full of flavor and texture, and every always devours them.
Dark Chocolate Brownies
These brownies start with a rich dark chocolate batter that’s full of complex, deep chocolate flavor. Then, before baking, I add semi-sweet chocolate chunks for a brighter, sweet chocolate flavor and chopped walnuts for that earthy crunch that always pairs so well with chocolate. When they’re all baked up, these brownies have that wonderful crinkly outside, a rich, moist, deeply-chocolaty middle, and tons of extra chocolate flavor and crunch from the chocolate chunks and walnuts. These really are some of the best brownies you’ll ever eat!
Why You’ll Love This Dark Chocolate Brownie Recipe
- It’s easy to make and only requires a few simple ingredients and steps, so you can have delicious brownies in no time.
- It’s rich and decadent and the dark chocolate gives these brownies a deep, rich flavor that will satisfy even the most discerning chocolate lover.
- It’s versatile and these brownies are perfect for any occasion, whether you’re serving them for dessert, a snack, or even breakfast.
Dark Chocolate Brownies Ingredients
You’ll only need a few basic baking ingredients to make this recipe. If you do any amount of baking, you’ll probably have most if not all of them in your kitchen, already. Anything you don’t have is readily available at your local grocery store. The actual measurements are in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- All purpose flour
- Special dark cocoa powder
- Baking powder
- Vanilla extract
- Large eggs
- Semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- Chopped walnuts
How to Make Dark Chocolate Brownies
Making these brownies is a snap. This is a basic brownie recipe with just a couple of add-ins, so it’s easy enough for everyone.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and spray a 9×13 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray or line it with foil and lightly spray with nonstick spray. Be sure to leave a bit of foil hanging over the edges for easy removal.
Step 2: Combine the Dry Ingredients
Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl and set aside.
Step 3: Combine the Wet Ingredients
Whisk the eggs, sugar, butter, and vanilla in a large bowl.
Step 4: Make the Batter
Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined. Then, fold in the chocolate chunks and chopped walnuts.
Step 5: Bake
Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and spread it around evenly. Then, bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs attached.
Step 6: Cool and Cut
Let the brownies cool in the pan, then remove them by lifting them out with the foil. Cut into squares and enjoy!
- Be sure to mix the wet and dry ingredients until just combined. Overmixing will create dense, tough brownies.
- Be gentle when folding in the chocolate chunks and walnuts. You want to avoid creating extra gluten.
- The key to keeping these brownies moist and fudgy is to remove them from the oven when the toothpick comes out with moist crumbs. If it comes out clean, you’ve overbaked them.
- You can use dark or milk chocolate chips in these brownies.
- For something a little different, try adding white chocolate chips.
- Almonds or pecans will work in place of walnuts.
- Try mixing coconut into the batter for a chocolate coconut treat.
- For an even deeper chocolate flavor, try adding a teaspoon of instant coffee to the batter.
What to Serve with Dark Chocolate Brownies
These brownies are absolutely divine with a glass of ice-cold milk or a cup of hot coffee or tea. They’re also delicious when topped with vanilla ice cream or even whipped cream.
Which dark chocolate is best for brownies?
I find that Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder provides an incredibly deep, dark chocolate flavor. You’ll often find it at the top of best cocoa lists, beating out even fancier brands like Lindt.
What are the secrets to chewy brownies?
Fat is one key to chewy brownies, so you’ll find a lot of butter in really good brownies. Another important factor in making delicious, chewy brownies is not overmixing or overbaking them. Mix the batter until just combined and bake the brownies until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs. That’s the sweet spot.
Is dark chocolate better for brownies?
Dark chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate are both the most popular options. However, dark chocolate delivers a more intense chocolate flavor to brownies, making it the go-to choice.
What makes a brownie fudgy?
Fudgy brownies have a higher fat-to-flour ratio, so you find a healthy amount of butter in almost all fudgy brownie recipes.
Can you freeze dark chocolate brownies?
Absolutely. They’ll keep in the freezer for up to 3 months, but you have to make sure you freeze them correctly. Wrap the brownies in plastic wrap and then in foil. Then, place them in a heavy-duty freezer bag.
How to Store Leftover Homemade Brownies
Store these brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days or in the refrigerator for a week. For longer storage, you can freeze them for up to 3 months wrapped in a layer of plastic wrap and foil in a heavy-duty freezer bag.
Try These Delicious Dark Chocolate Brownies Today
These dark chocolate brownies are rich, fudgy, and loaded with extra flavor and texture thanks to chocolate chunks and chopped walnuts. They’re the ultimate brownie, and everyone always loves them. They’re also easy to make which is a HUGE bonus! Give these brownies a try, and you’ll wonder why you ever made any other kind. They’re that good!
More Delicious Brownie Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Triple Chocolate Walnut Brownies – Made from scratch, these delicious brownies are loaded with chocolate and chopped walnuts. Super moist and delicious.
Coconut Pecan Brownies – A delicious thick and chewy brownie recipe topped with coconut pecan topping and baked to gooey perfection.
Chewy Brownie Bites – These mini brownie bites topped with a sweet buttercream frosting and candied sprinkles and are the perfect little snack everyone will enjoy.
And, these Peanut Butter S’mores Brownies from Deliciously Seasoned are absolutely delicious as well.
Dark Chocolate Brownies
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup Special dark cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 325° and spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray or line with foil and lightly spray, leaving the aluminum foil hanging over the edge a bit.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar butter, and vanilla until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Next, fold chocolate chunks and chopped walnuts in the brownie batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and spread evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs attached.
- Let the brownies cool in the pan and then grab both sides of the foil, lift out of the pan.
- Cut into desired size and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.