This rich and decadent chocolate pudding dessert is made with a light and fluffy chocolate pudding, layered over dark chocolate brownies, topped with whipped topping, mini chocolate chips, hot fudge, and maraschino cherries.
Calling all chocolate lovers! I’ve got a dessert that’s going to blow your chocolate-loving mind. This is a delicious layered chocolate pudding brownie recipe that I only started making a few months ago. When I made my Magnolia Banana Pudding Parfaits, I knew I could use the same rich and delicious pudding recipe and just switch out the banana pudding mix for chocolate pudding, and decided I’d add brownies and viola! I had an ultra-decadent pudding and brownie dessert so chocolaty you won’t be able to pass it by.
Chocolate Pudding Dessert
This delicious dessert starts with Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Brownie Mix for an intensely chocolaty base. Then, I make an ultra-rich chocolate pudding that combines pudding mix and condensed milk and then gets mixed with whipped cream. Finally, I make alternating layers of the brownies and pudding and top it all with dollops of whipped cream and maraschino cherries. It’s the richest, most chocolaty dessert you’ll ever make, and you NEED to make it!
Why You’ll Love This Chocolate Pudding Dessert Recipe
- It’s rich, creamy, and decadent, and when the light and fluffy chocolate pudding and the dark chocolate brownies are combined together in this delicious dessert, it’s simply irresistible.
- It is a dessert that is easy to make that just requires a little bit of time and the best part is, you can customize it to your family’s liking.
- It’s the perfect chocolate dessert to serve at a casual get-together, holiday party, or a special occasion like a dinner party, a birthday, or as an after-dinner dessert.
- It is always a hit no matter when it’s served and will be requested over and over again.
Chocolate Pudding Dessert Ingredients
You won’t need much to make this recipe. Just a quick trip to the store to grab a handful of ingredients is all it takes.
- Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Brownie Mix is one of the main ingredients in this delicious dessert. It contains all the dry ingredients needed to make these decadent brownies.
- Vegetable oil is used to add moisture to the brownies.
- Large eggs add structure and flavor to the brownies.
- Water is used to make the brownie batter.
- Sweetened condensed milk adds richness and sweetness to the pudding.
- Ice cold water helps to set the pudding and prevent it from becoming too runny.
- Jello® instant chocolate pudding mix is the main ingredient for the chocolate pudding and contains all the dry ingredients needed to make the light and airy chocolate pudding.
- Heavy whipping cream adds richness and creaminess to the pudding.
- Whipped cream topping is used to top the chocolate pudding dessert and adds a touch of sweetness and lightness to the dessert.
- Mini chocolate chips are great to top the dessert for added sweetness and chocolate flavor to the dessert.
- Hot fudge is rich and decadent and is great to drizzle over the top of the dessert for additional chocolate flavor.
- Maraschino cherries are the perfect finishing touch to garnish the chocolate pudding dessert that also adds a pop of color and sweetness to the dessert.
How to Make Chocolate Pudding Dessert
Making this dessert is fairly easy to do. The only part that might give you a bit of difficulty is cutting the brownie in half, but if you’re careful and take your time, you should have no issues. Don’t be intimidated!
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line a 9×13 baking dish with aluminum foil, leaving an overhand around the edges for easy lifting when the brownies have baked.
Step 2: Make the Chocolate Pudding
Beat the condensed milk and ice water on medium speed until combined. Then, add the instant pudding mix and beat until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until firm – about 2 to 4 hours.
Step 3: Add the Whipped Cream
When the pudding has firmed, beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Then, spoon the pudding into the whipped cream a little at a time, folding gently until blended completely. Return to the refrigerator.
Step 4: Make the Brownies
Prepare the brownie batter according to the package directions and spread it evenly into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the brownies comes out with moist crumbs.
Step 5: Cool
Remove the brownie from the baking dish and place them on the counter to cool.
Step 6: Make the Chocolate Pudding Dessert
Once the brownie has cooled, slice it in half lengthwise with a serrated knife. Place the bottom brownie half in a baking dish and top it with half of the pudding. Top the pudding with the other half of the brownie and add the remaining pudding evenly over it. Then, sprinkle it with mini chocolate chips and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Step 7: Top and Serve
When ready to serve, top the chocolate pudding dessert with hot fudge and dollops of whipped cream with a maraschino cherry on top of each dollop.
- For the thickest possible pudding, be sure your water is ice cold before mixing.
- When combining the pudding with the whipped cream, be sure to fold, not mix. You want to keep all that fluffy body and texture.
- It’s extremely important to remove the brownies when there are still crumbs on the toothpick. Unlike cakes, brownies are very overdone if the toothpick comes out clean.
- When cutting the brownie in half, use the sharpest serrated knife you have for an easy cut.
- Use your favorite brownie mix for this recipe.
- Use your favorite chocolate pudding mix for this recipe – milk, dark, or white all make a differently flavored dessert.
- You can cut the brownie into chunks and make a parfait version of this recipe.
- You can use Cool Whip or whipped topping, or make your own homemade whipped cream.
What to Serve with Chocolate Pudding Dessert
This dessert is the perfect end to any of your favorite summer meals. Serve it after a meal of steak, burgers, hot dogs, grilled or BBQ food, or even seafood sandwiches. There’s never really a wrong time to serve this dessert!
You can add richness to your pudding by making it with half and half instead of milk or by using a mixture of ice water and sweetened condensed milk. To give it a mousse-like consistency, combine the pudding with whipped cream.
If you’re using milk, whole milk is the best option. It delivers the best flavor and richest texture.
This chocolate pudding dessert will last for up to a week in the refrigerator.
Yes, it does. In fact, it’s one of only three plant-based milks that will work with instant pudding.
No. Freezing and defrosting chocolate pudding changes the texture.
How to Store Chocolate Pudding Dessert Leftovers
Store this chocolate pudding dessert in an airtight container for up to a week in the refrigerator. DO NOT freeze this dessert.
Try This Delicious Layered Chocolate Pudding Dessert Today
This easy, delicious chocolate pudding dessert with dark chocolate brownies is a decadent layered dessert perfect for everything from an after-dinner dessert to a sweet addition to any potluck. It’s a rich, easy dessert that has everyone coming back for more and won’t have you in the kitchen for hours. Give this one a try, and I know it’ll become one of your favorites.
More Dessert Recipes to Try
Easy Banana Pie – This is a super simple no-bake dessert recipe made with vanilla and banana pudding, vanilla wafers, bananas, and a graham cracker crust.
Blueberry Cheesecake – A rich, creamy, and velvety cheesecake recipe made completely from scratch and topped with fresh blueberries.
Strawberry Pretzel Dessert – A sweet and salty combination; made with a pretzel crust, a layer of sweet cream cheese mixture, and strawberry Jello.
Chocolate Pudding Dessert with Dark Chocolate Brownies
- (2) 20 ounce Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Brownie Mix
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup water
- 14 ounce sweetened condensed milk
- 1½ cup ice cold water
- 3.9 ounce package Jello® instant chocolate pudding mix
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- Optional: whipped cream topping, mini chocolate chips, hot fudge and maraschino cherries, if desired.
- Preheat the oven to 325° and line a 9×13 baking dish with aluminum foil and leave a little foil hanging over the edge. This makes it easy to just lift the brownies out of the baking dish.
- For the Chocolate Pudding
- In a medium bowl beat condensed milk and ice water on medium speed until combined.
- Add the instant pudding mix and beat until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator until firm, at least 2 – 4 hours.
- Once the pudding has firmed up, in a medium bowl, beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon the pudding mixture into the heavy cream, a little at a time, and gently stir until blended.
- For the Brownies
- In a large bowl, make the brownie batter according to the package directions and spread in an even layer in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out with moist crumbs.
- Remove from the oven, lift out of the baking dish and place on the counter to cool.
- Once cool, slice baked brownies in half lengthwise.
- Next, spoon half of the chocolate pudding over the bottom half of the brownies.
- Place the top half of the brownies on top of the pudding and then top with the remaining pudding mixture.
- Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips, cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, top whipped cream, hot fudge, and maraschino cherries, if desired.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.