These cheesy scalloped potatoes aren’t your normal scalloped potatoes. These are vegan and dairy free! How is it possible to make “cheesy” scalloped potatoes with no cheese? This recipe will show you how. Cheesy scalloped potatoes are one of our favorites and when I made this recipe, I felt like I hit the jackpot! So delicious and creamy, and better for you!
Eating healthy is super delicious! Giving up dairy and still being able to make cheesy dishes to enjoy is awesome! These scalloped potatoes are both satisfying and better for you! A totally plant-based meal!!
We love using Slap Your Mama Cajun seasoning, but in this recipe, you can use cayenne pepper. If you have Slap Ya Mama, just use it instead of the cayenne pepper.
Give this dairy free, cheesy scalloped potatoes a try, I know you will love it!
- 5-6 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup Earth Balance® butter
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2½ cup potatoes, peeled and diced small
- ⅔ cup carrots, diced small
- ⅔ cup chopped onion
- 3 cup water (use the water you cooked the veggies in)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 3 Tbs nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt (or more to taste)
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- While the vegetables for the cheese sauce are cooking, peel and slice potatoes and set aside (I put the sliced potatoes into a big bowl of water while waiting for the vegetables to cook).
- Butter the bottom of a large baking dish, 9 x 13 or larger, and set aside.
- Bring 4-5 cups of water to a boil in a medium sauce pan.
- Add potatoes, carrots and onions.
- Bring back to a boil and reduce heat to low until vegetables are tender.
- Drain water, reserving liquid, and add vegetables to Vitamix.
- Add 3 cups of reserved water, cashews, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and cayenne pepper to Vitamix.
- Blend on high until ingredients are nice and creamy, less than a minute.
- In the buttered 9 x 13 baking dish, add a ladle of cheese sauce to the bottom of the pan.
- Add a layer of potatoes, cheese sauce and lightly sprinkle with cayenne pepper and pepper.
- Add the remainder of butter, sliced, in between one of the layers of potatoes.
- Repeat until your baking dish is full.
- Cover with foil and cook for 1 hour, or until the potatoes are tender.
Here are a couple pics that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest!