Cheesy Potato Egg Casserole
This cheesy potato egg casserole is rich, cheesy and super yummy!!! What a great side dish to any meal. Well, this could be my main meal, it’s that good. On these cold days, and blistery cold nights, what’s better than a delicious addition to your dinner table at meal time, then a great potato casserole recipe?
I’ve been extremely busy with work lately and haven’t had time to even think about getting in the kitchen to bake, or cook, anything. But today I decided that making this cheesy potato egg casserole would be great for dinner and to have throughout the week. YUM!
My grandfather’s second wife used to make some amazing potatoes which were my absolute favorite potatoes ever! Her recipe was kind of like this cheesy potato egg casserole. She’s Hungarian and such a great cook! This recipe is inspired from Grandma Rose. It’s not quite exactly like hers, but it’s close and tastes delicious.
I’ve made this many times and found that when the potatoes are more on the softer side, this cheesy potato egg casserole comes out better. Adding some diced green chili will definitely change up the flavor, even some jalapenos would be good as well.
Next time you are trying to think of a good potato recipe, pull this one up and enjoy!
- 5 large potatoes, quartered lengthwise, sliced ¼" thick
- 8 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- ¾ cup onions, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1½ - 2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup butter, sliced thin
- 3 cups grated cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Green onion for garnish, optional
- Peel and slice potatoes length wise in quarters, then slice ¼ " wide. (I used Costco® potatoes).
- Boil for about 35-40 minutes or until potatoes are soft and tender.
- Drain water, set aside.
- Boil 8 eggs. Once done, rinse in cold water.
- Once cool enough to handle, peel and chop eggs, set aside in a small bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large 9 x 13 baking dish, spray with cooking spray.
- Add a layer of sliced potatoes to bottom of baking dish.
- Top with ½ of the sliced butter.
- Spoon a layer of chopped hard boil eggs on top of potatoes.
- Sprinkle with ½ of the chopped onions.
- Add ½ of the garlic.
- Next, spread ½ of the sour cream.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup grated cheese.
- Then another layer of potatoes, butter, eggs, onions, garlic, sour cream.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Final layer is the remaining sliced potatoes, and grated cheese.
- Cover with foil.
- Cook for 60 -65 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue cooking until cheese is browned a bit, approximately 10-15 minutes.
Here are a couple pics that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest!