Valentine Sugar Cookies
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and these Valentine Sugar Cookies are super delicious, so very festive and make a perfect treat for Valentine’s Day. This cookie recipe is a great recipe to use for all the different holidays throughout the year.
My kids and I have made great memories decorating cookies together throughout the years. However, our Christmas sugar cookies didn’t get baked and decorated until after the holiday this year. But it’s never too late to enjoy these delicious cookies and now you can make Valentine sugar cookies perfect for Valentines’s Day using the same recipe, just with different cookie cutters and sprinkles.
Check out how cute these Valentine sugar cookies are. It’s so fun decorating and seeing what ideas we come up with when adding frosting and sprinkles on these festive cookies.
I did change up the recipe a bit and am so glad I did. With the addition of lemon extract, each cookie has a hint of lemon flavor in every bite.
So Yummy and delicious
Red hots are just so delicious. Every time these sugar cookies are made, red hots get added to each cookie, whatever the holiday. I took some to work a couple weeks ago and one of my co-workers just LOVED the red hots like I do. So tasty. Towards the end of decorating when I’m about done, I just slop on some frosting and put red hots all over the cookies, that’s how much I love this little red gems.
When I was 12 years old, I received this cookie and frosting recipe from a neighborhood mom. She had given me a cute little recipe box for my 12th birthday. No idea where the little box is now, but this recipe is held close to my heart for so many reasons and has always been just a grab away with my cookie decorations.
My kids have grown up making sugar cookies every year, especially at Christmas. Now you and your kids can too! My grand kids were over at the time I was baking and decorating these cookies. It was so wonderful to watch as each one decorated their own cookies. All three did a great job and brought me back to when my kids first started decorating cookies so many years ago. There were tons of frosting, tons of sprinkles, on each one of their cookies. So cute!
Happy Valentine’s Day!
Try these delicious cookies today
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp lemon extract
- 6 Tbsp milk
- 6 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- Food coloring
- Red hots
- Preheat oven to 325°
- In a medium bowl, mix together, butter, shortening, sugar and egg. Add vanilla, lemon extract and milk. Mix well until combined. Gradually stir in flour and baking powder scraping down the sides of bowl.
- Roll out a small amount of dough on a floured surface to about ¼″ thick and cut into shapes. Place on cookie sheets and bake until edges just start to brown. Approximately 10-12 minutes. Let sit on cookie sheets for a few minutes then transfer to cooling rack. Repeat until all dough is used.
- Here’s a little cookie tip for you…. When rolling out your cookie dough, mix flour and powdered sugar 50/50. Use this mixture and your cookies will taste much better and not leave a flour taste in your mouth.
- In a medium bowl, cream butter, milk, and vanilla together. Gradually stir in powder sugar and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Put frosting in individual bowls, add food coloring of your choice, stir. Frost cooled cookies. Decorate with sprinkles and red hots.
Here are a couple pics that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest.
Copyright © Great Grub, Delicious Treats. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words. Also, make sure to link back to this post for the original recipe.