This sweet and sour chicken is really easy to make and is so delicious! It’s sweet, tangy and bursting with flavor. Originally this recipe calls for pork, which I have made and is absolutely delicious, but I have been on a chicken kick lately, so decided to change it up a bit. If you are anything like us, we love all kinds of Asian cuisine and this sweet and sour chicken is one that is sure to please.
This sweet and sour chicken is also great served with chow mien, as well as rice! The sauce is wonderful and makes this one tasty dish full of flavor. One of my favorites is orange chicken, but this is definitely high up on my list of favorites.
Having a variety of ways to cook chicken makes dinner time fun! I love surprising my family with different type of chicken dishes. Like I said earlier, this is super easy to make, so give this sweet and sour chicken a try. You won’t be disappointed, I promise!
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 tsp soy sauce, low sodium
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- 1 C flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ⅓ C vegetable oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into ¾ inch squares
- 1 tomato, cut into wedges
- 1 20 oz can pineapple chunks in heavy syrup, reserve syrup
- Sweet and Sour Sauce
- ½ C malt vinegar
- ½ C sugar
- ¼ C orange juice
- ⅓ C reserved pineapple syrup
- ¼ C tomato paste
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ Tbs cornstarch
- Rice, cook according to package directions
- Combine chicken, soy sauce and garlic salt in a medium bowl. Mix well.
- Add chicken pieces to flour, then to egg mixture, then back to flour until all chicken pieces are well coated.
- Heat oil in a wok (or skillet) over medium high heat for 1 minute.
- Add chicken pieces to wok and stir-fry for 4-5 minutes, or until browned on all sides.
- Remove from wok and set aside.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon of oil from wok.
- Add onion and bell pepper to wok and cook for 1 minute.
- Return chicken to wok.
- Add tomatoes and pineapple, stir-fry for 5 minutes.
- Stir in sweet and sour sauce. Cook until sauce is bubbly.
- Serve over rice.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, orange juice, pineapple juice, tomato paste and salt to saucepan. Mix well.
- Remove ⅓ cup of mixture, add cornstarch, stir well, set aside.
- Cook sauce mixture over medium heat until it bubbles.
- Add cornstarch mixture to pan and continue cooking over medium heat until sauce has thickened.
Here are a couple pics that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest!