Soft Chewy Molasses Cookies
When is the last time you had some soft chewy molasses cookies? These cookies are just that… soft, chewy and delicious! I have had some molasses sitting in my cupboard for a while now and just haven’t gotten around to using it until now. Oh man, these molasses cookies are so soft, and when they come right out of the oven, amazing!! These are D.E.L.I.C.I.O.U.S!
I remember as a kid, and as an adult, getting the iced molasses cookies in a package of like 12 cookies. They were one of my favorite cookies. Well, these are so much better and are homemade! The smell that permeates from the oven as these soft chewy molasses cookies are baking is amazing. You can smell the different spices as they bake. YUM!
These soft chewy molasses cookies are great to make for cookie exchanges, potlucks, or for your kids school parties. I was seriously surprised that two of my picky eating grand kids LOVED these cookies! I had my 5 year old grandson, Braden, helping me roll the dough into balls and then into the sugar. He’s so cute, he says, “Look Grandma, it looks like a little potato.” Well, his “little potato” did end up being the biggest cookie we made. ;)
So if you are wanting a great tasting, delicious cookie, these soft chewy molasses cookies are just the one for you. So soft, so chewy, and so delicious!
Try these yummy cookies today
- 1 cup organic sugar
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 egg, cage free
- 2¼ cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp cloves
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Sugar for coating, optional
- In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar, butter and molasses together.
- Beat in egg until light and fluffy.
- Mix in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, ginger, cloves and nutmeg together until well combined.
- Cover dough and refrigerate for about an hour. This makes handling the dough much easier.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Roll dough into 1 - 1½ in balls.
- Roll each ball in sugar to coat.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 1 minute before removing cookies and placing on wire rack to cool.
- Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
Here are a couple pics that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest!