Delicious Lemon Poke Cake
Lemon anything is absolutely amazing! This delicious lemon poke cake recipe comes from Dawn, one of my co-workers (a wonderful and compassionate RN). This lemon cake recipe has been in her family for a long time. It’s super easy to make and won’t take very long before you will be enjoying some delicious lemon poke cake.
One late evening Dawn and I were at the office after everyone had left (we are hospice RNs), and started discussing food, cooking, baking, and all of our favorite recipes. Dawn told me about this lemon cake recipe and I instantly wanted to make it because… anything lemon is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!!! Usually I make cakes from scratch, but today I decided to make Dawn’s Favorite Lemon Cake recipe, with the addition of some lemon buttercream frosting, which is totally optional. This cake does not need any frosting, it’s that good!!! But those who know me well, know that I am addicted to buttercream frosting!
This delicious lemon poke cake is super moist and packed so full of flavor, lemony flavor! Oh yum, so good! With the addition of the lemon buttercream frosting, this cake is even more deliciously sweet! Did I say sweet? Oh yes, I did! This cake is a very sweet treat!
What is your favorite summer desserts? Summer says lemony goodness to me! I have another lemon recipe coming up soon that you will love, which I will try to post next weekend.
- 1 box Lemon Supreme Cake Mix
- 1 small box of Lemon Jell-o (3 oz)
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cups hot water
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1½ tsp grated lemon peel
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non stick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cake mix, jell-o, eggs, oil and water until well combined.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes or until tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- While cake is still hot, use the end of a wooden spoon and poke holes throughout the top of the cake.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix powdered sugar and lemon juice together until blended.
- Pour lemon sugar mixture over cake while cake is still warm.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and lemon juice until nice and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, until desired consistency is obtained.
- Stir in grated lemon peel.
- Frost cake once cake has cooled.