Mini Brownie Cakes with Peppermint Buttercream Frosting
Peppermint is always a favorite during the holidays. These mini brownie cakes with peppermint buttercream frosting are the perfect treat to make during the Christmas season. Not only are these great during the holidays, but these can be made all year round.
The mini brownie cakes are definitely worth making. You do not have to double them up and can totally make single layer brownie cakes. I really love these and basically when you take one, you are getting two mini cakes. Pull off the top brownie and you’ll have another! Makes sense to me, the chocolate lover that I am. What gives the frosting the peppermint flavor is the crushed peppermint sprinkles. If you do not have these sprinkles, just crush up some candy canes. Either one works well.
When I made these, I took some of them to work to share with my co-workers. They all loved them! Who doesn’t love a deliciously thick, gooey chocolate brownie? And who doesn’t love peppermint buttercream frosting? Put them together and you will be in heaven. Biting into a thick, gooey, chocolate brownie, loaded with frosting is what I’m talking about. This brownie recipe is mostly adapted from Tessa’s Ultimate Brownies over at Handle the Heat. Make sure to check out her blog and all her delicious recipes.
Buttercream frosting is my favorite! This frosting recipe is mostly adapted from my good friend, Stacy (a fabulous blogger) over at Wicked Good Kitchen. Stacy knows how much I LOVE buttercream frosting and even dedicated her delicious Best Ever American Buttercream frosting recipe to me. How special is that? I was so honored. She’s an awesome friend and if you haven’t been over to her blog, you need to check it out. What amazing recipes, and the pictures are absolutely gorgeous.
I made these mini brownie cakes with peppermint buttercream frosting using my new Rachel Ray® mini cake pans. I LOVE these pans. If you can get your hands on a couple, you will be so happy you did. These are the same pans I made my hockey puck chocolate chip cookies too!
Definitely a great holiday dessert to share with family and friends.
Try this delicious recipe today!
- 1 cup chocolate chips, semisweet
- ¾ cup butter (1½ sticks)
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 eggs + 1 egg yoke
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 8 oz package of cream cheese
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- 5 cup powdered sugar
- Red food coloring
- Peppermint sprinkles, finely crushed
- Optional, additional sprinkles of your choice for topping
- Preheat oven to 350° and spray mini cake pans with non stick spray, set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, heat chocolate chips, butter and unsweetened cocoa powder over low heat until melted. Let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar until nice and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Pour cooled chocolate mixture into sugar mixture. Stir until combined.
- Add flour and salt. Gently stir until combined.
- Pour into prepared mini cake pans.
- Bake for 21-22 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before adding frosting.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat butter for a minute or two until nice and creamy.
- Add cream cheese and vanilla. Beat until well combined.
- Slowly add powdered sugar a little at a time and beat over medium speed until combined.
- Add food coloring until desired color is obtained.
- Gently stir in crushed peppermint sprinkles. I used approximately 3-4 tablespoons.
- Spoon a layer of frosting between two brownies and then top with additional frosting.
- Sprinkle peppermint sprinkles, or sprinkles of your choice, on top and enjoy!
Here are a couple pics that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest.
Copyright © Great Grub, Delicious Treats. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words. Also, make sure to link back to this post for the original recipe.