Cheesy Bacon Green Onion Scones Recipe
These savory cheesy bacon green onion scones are super easy to make and a delicious scones recipe the whole family will enjoy. The outside of each scone has a crispy crust while the inside is soft and full of all sorts of deliciousness. Let me tell you what’s all inside these delicious scones. Each scone is loaded with crispy bacon, green onions, sharp cheddar cheese, a bit of jalapenos and seasoned perfectly then baked to perfection.
Savory Scones Recipe
Talk about savory, these cheesy bacon scones are definitely savory especially with the melted garlic butter smothered over the top. As the butter drizzles over and down the sides, into the crevices of each scone, the savory flavor is enhanced even more. Adding the garlic butter actually reminds us of the delicious, and to die for, Red Lobster® biscuits. Those biscuits are one of our favorites when we eat there and with the garlic butter added to these scones, they are a favorite here at our home.
How To Reheat Leftover Scones
We had some scones leftover so this morning I placed them on an ungreased baking sheet and reheated them in a preheated oven on 325° for about 10 minutes. They reheated beautifully. I cut them in half and smothered homemade sausage gravy over the top. YUM! So good. A delicious “scones and gravy” recipe for breakfast.
Ingredients Needed To Make Savory Scones
- Bacon, plus bacon drippings
- Green onions
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Baking powder
- Garlic salt and pepper
- Cayenne pepper
How To Make Cheesy Bacon Savory Scones
- In a large frying pan, cook bacon until crispy and then remove from pan and place on a plate lined with paper towels. Let cool.
- Remove 1/4 cup of bacon drippings and set aside to cool.
- When the bacon has cool, crumble it up and add the bacon to a large mixing bowl along with the bacon drippings.
- Add the green onions, shredded cheese and jalapenos to the mixing bowl, stir and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, garlic salt, pepper and cayenne pepper together.
- Add flour mixture into bacon mixture and stir until combined.
- Next, pour milk into bacon and flour mixture and stir until combined.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a disk about 1 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut dough into 16 pieces like you would cut a pizza.
- Place scones on an ungreased baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Melt butter in a microwave safe bowl and add garlic salt. Stir.
- Brush garlic butter over the top of scones and serve warm.
The garlic butter just takes these scones over the top. They are delicious plain but they just have to have this butter. So good.
Here are a few delicious bacon recipes that can be found on the blog:
- Bacon Green Beans,
- Cheesy Breakfast Potatoes with Crispy Bacon,
- Bacon Wrapped Potato Wedges,
- Avocado Bacon Potato Bites, plus many more.
Try These Savory Scones Today
- 12 slices bacon, crispy, crumbled
- 1/4 cup bacon drippings
- 1/3 cup green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup diced jalapenos (I used the jarred jalapenos)
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
Preheat oven to 425°
In a large frying pan, cook bacon until crispy, remove from pan and place on a plate lined with paper towels, let cool.
Remove 1/4 cup of bacon drippings and set aside to cool.
When bacon has cool, crumble and add to a large mixing bowl with bacon drippings.
Add green onions, shredded cheese and jalapenos to mixing bowl, stir to combine. Set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, garlic salt, pepper and cayenne pepper together.
Stir flour mixture into bacon mixture until combined.
Pour milk into bacon mixture and stir until just combined.
On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a disk about 1 1/2 inch thick.
Cut dough into 16 pieces like a pizza.
Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Melt butter in a microwave safe bowl and add garlic salt. Stir.
Brush garlic butter over the top of scones and serve warm.
Recipe adapted from The Good Housekeeping Christmas Cookbook, pg 207
Here are a few pics that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest.
Copyright © Great Grub, Delicious Treats. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words and only list ingredients making sure to link back to this post for the original recipe and directions.