Zesty Lemon Cake
A luscious lemon layer cake is one of my all time favorites, and then to top it off with lemon cream cheese frosting, oh yes, heaven! When I ran across this recipe, I just knew I had to make it! I wanted a tall, beautiful cake and this was the one! The flavor of this cake is bursting with a zesty lemon zing!!
This cake was originally made as a three tier cake but I decided that a four tier cake would be even better! And it sure was! This zesty lemon cake is so moist and full of lemony flavor!
A special tip that I have learned when cutting a cake, especially one that has many layers, is to put the cake in the fridge for a couple hours and then cut your cold cake with a warm/hot knife. Just run your knife under hot water, pat dry and cut your cake. When you do this, your slices comes out clean and looks great!
- 2 C butter, softened
- 8 eggs
- 4⅔ C flour, all purpose
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 C sugar
- 4 tsp lemon peel, grated
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 C buttermilk
- 2½ tsp lemon peel, grated
- 12 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 C butter, softened
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 10 C powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and lightly flour 4 (9x2 inch) round cake pans.
- Allow the butter and eggs to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter on high for 1 minute. Add sugar, lemon peel, lemon juice. Beat until well combined. Add eggs one at a time, beating well. Add flour mixture, alternating with buttermilk, Mix on low speed after each addition until well combined.
- Pour into prepared cake pans.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean. Cool on wire rack and remove from pans after 10 minutes. Cool cakes completely before frosting.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix cream cheese, butter and lemon juice until light and fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, until desired consistency is obtained. Stir in lemon peel.
Here are a couple pics that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest!