Three Cheese Macaroni and Cheese
Homemade mac and cheese is totally amazing and is the ultimate comfort food. This three cheese macaroni and cheese is super cheesy and flavorful using sharp cheddar, Gouda and three alarm cheese.
One of the side dishes we love to have with any meal is mac and cheese. Oh my, it’s so good, no wonder so many people are in love with, crave and devour this cheesy goodness.
The thing about macaroni and cheese is that there are so many different variations that can be made. You can top this with bread crumbs, add some diced jalapenos for a spicier kick, add some hot sauce, and/or use your own favorite cheeses.
When making this three cheese macaroni and cheese, make sure to eat it right away before the cheese starts to break up. What I mean by that is, once the cheese starts to cool, the cheese tends to separate a bit and thickens up.
Make sure to use freshly grated cheese. Freshly grated cheese verses pre-shredded cheese makes a world of difference with making any recipe that calls for grated cheese plus grated cheese melts evenly and is a thousands times better.
Try this Three Cheese Macaroni and Cheese today
- 6 Tbs butter
- 6 Tbs flour
- 6 cups half and half
- 2 tsp ground mustard
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 cups sharp cheddar, grated, divided
- 1 cup apple smoke Gouda, grated
- 2 cups Great Midwest 3-Alarm Jack Cheese®
- 1 lb elbow macaroni pasta, cooked al dente
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Cook pasta al dente. Drain, rinse with cold water, set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium/low heat.
- Whisk flour into butter and continue to whisk for a couple minutes.
- While stirring, add half and half, ground mustard, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and continue stirring until thickened.
- Add all three cheeses, except 1 cup of sharp cheddar, which will be used for topping, stir until melted.
- Once melted, pour cheese mixture over pasta, stir.
- Lightly spray a 3 quart baking dish with non stick spray.
- Pour macaroni and cheese into baking dish.
- Top with remaining cup of sharp cheddar.
- Bake until cheese is bubbly and starting to brown, approximately 30-35 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Here are a couple pics that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest
Copyright © Great Grub, Delicious Treats. All content and images are copyright protected. Do not use any images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, make sure to re-write the recipe in your own words. Also, make sure to link back to this post for the original recipe.